Are you a competitve or non-competitive player?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by bigredlemon, May 5, 2003.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Well, if you guys (and girls) mean competitive as in trying to win every single time you go out on court, then I'm not competitive. At my club, we'll usually have to play a few non-competitive games (asfter all, don't want to give old ladies heart-attack with smash), then after a couple hours and the "riff-raff" :rolleyes: is gone, we can get in competitive games, where everyone is around the same skill level.

I go to many tournaments throughout the season, and of course then I'm competitive, though not to the point of trying to win too badly.

Phil

2. GATX102

GATX102 Regular Member

High School Student
    competitively in a non competitive way

thats the only statement i can use haha...

i try to take everygame i play seriously and learn as much as possible

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I love to play in competitions. I started out playing in college. After that, there used to be plenty of tournaments (about 10 per year) in Southern California and I played in any one within 100 miles. It gave me something extra to train for. Praciticing was like studying and playing tournaments was like taking a test. I enjoyed the whole atmosphere of tournament competition. Now, we have virtually no tournaments and I really miss them.

Nevertheless, I've never had the competitor's mentality--that winning was the most important thing, or that I would hate losing. I just tried to play well, win or lose, and I did feel badly when I lost a match I (and others) felt I should have won.

So if it's possible for someone with non-competitive mentality to enjoy competition, that's me.

4. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    Well I haven't been to any tournament yet but I can be competitive to other players in my school.

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Competitive when playing ppl near or above my level, non-competitive when playing ppl far below my level. In second case, I just try to keep the rally going so they can gain experience, and work on my own weaknesses, like a bad habit I have with my footwork.

BTW, I never mind getting blown off the court by a really good player, because I have the best view of his style.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Im competitive sometimes, and other time...not so competitive!
    I play for a few clubs in my area and play matches, and i enter some local tournaments, but not ESBA's.
    Sometimes when i play in matches and tournament i find i get too competitive, and get depressed when/if i loose.......does anyone else get this ever?

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Not for me... I signed up for a provincial tournament when I was still a "begginner". Got creamed very badly. Now, losing tournaments doesn't depress me at all since i can just say to myself... at least it wasn't that bad!!

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

competitive and non-competitive..i play competitive tournaments all the time when the season is around and play at a casual club ..but tend to be a little to competitive there too sometimes

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Depress if I lose? Nah... if I know I tried my best and yet I still lost I'll try and find out why I lost, not get depress.

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Sometimes that's easier said than done ;)

11. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, it is...one time, i lost to a guy i know i should have beat..i just got so mad at myself...and i got the feeling of depression from losing...i think it also comes with the "competitive" side of playing....sometimes, i try to think "it was just a bad day" ...but like yodums said..it is easier said than done..

12. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Hmm, for me it depends on the environment. In a tournament, I am very competitive. However, in a non-tournament play (social club and such), not really competitive - as long as I am sweating, I will be fine for the night. :)

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Just recently begin to participate in local tournaments. I am pretty laid-back when playing as in I'll always have somewhat of a smile as I am playing, but that might change when i find myself down 0-14. ;)