Nutrition during a tournament

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by freeheeler, Feb 11, 2003.

1. chan

chan Regular Member

carbs will slow you down, unless you eat them a whole lot of time before the tournament, maybe a couple of months, and then continue to eat them

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

carbs can probably be digested in 30 min for small amounts (~200 caliories) or an hour (~600 C.) Certainly don't need to wait a month!!??

3. chan

chan Regular Member

i saw it on the news actually, lol. they said that people who had carbs for lunch got very tired in the afternoon...

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I've tried "energy bars," such as Vector or Powerbars. I find that they slow me down since my stomach is digesting them. I think that they must be eaten at least 2 to 4 hours or more before you can use them. For me, I usually eat anything that is not fried, fatty, greasy, etc.. (McDonald's, etc.) I usually drink a mix of gatorade and water. I water it down so that it is not too sweet, but I am still getting the sodium/electrolytes(?).

Phil

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

high carb = high insulin = body slows down.
    But this only applies during digestion. Carbs are digested much faster than protein, and much much much faster than fat. You want energy in your body during the game (because you'll feel tired if you don't.) From a players perspective, taking some carbs before a game will make you the least tired. When the adrelain kicks in, that will reverse the tired feeling altogether.

As for eating 2-4 hours before... i think that's waiting much too long since the carbs would have been completely digested already by then and you'll be running "lean" by the time the game starts. Different people have different metabolism speeds so you'll need to find the best time for yourself. For me, it's 30 minutes for snacks and an hour for meals.

#25 bigredlemon, Apr 12, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Yep, and during the game too... iz important to have sugar flowing in ur system so slows down the rate of depletion of glycogen in the liver n muscles

7. Aleik

Aleik Regular Member

Let's not get encumbered by detail...(is the taxma
    On the day of a match/tournament I swear by a pint of fresh orange and a big bowl of muesli at breakfast. Then whatever I eat for the rest of the day doesn't seem to matter. I feel full of energy all day, haven't had to stop for a rest or sleep, so my body is at a good "exercising temperature" by about 6pm and I'm all set. A banana or two an hour before a match is good. Makes you fart on court though.