the newest clip

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by w3wmfhe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

God save this thread..

...(not pointing at anyone) but all i've got to say is : God save this thread!:(....hopefully this thread won't end up looking like what happened to the other locked threads..:crying::p

2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I can't help it if you only read half of my paragraph at a time.

The last point is most ridiculous and I think I am not the only one feel non-sense about it.

It is like someone come and slap your face 3 times and you shouldn't feel half bad about it knowing that the police with come up to arrest that crazy man and so my day could carry on happily???

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I am crossing my fingers ...

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I just edited my post. Please read the newer version.

Btw your analogy is not right. If someone slapped my face, I am already harmed. There is no way to recover. But LD got his point, no harm done. If you suggest professional players should care about other things than getting points and winning when they are on court, then I have to say I disagree.

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You are the one who's accusing other ppl and you are crossing your fingers... :confused:

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

In my scenario, you would be physically harmed, in LD scenario, he is physiologically harmed, I don't see the differences. And imagine if my scenario is applying to a police officer, which is his profession, I doubt he can walk away like nothing happened even the correct justice has applied.

Right???

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

See, you only take LM's interview to the credit note, and others as "questionable", and of course everything would be in favour of LM, so you are applying double standard??? In additional, I never tried or excusing LD for his behaviour, so to answer your question, yes he is overreacting but I find it understandable. LM provoke LD at first place, and it is already his fault by leaving his seat and yell to the umpire even when he admit that he didn't has a clear sight of the controversy call. Thus I say LM should carry equal responsibility.

Btw, I am not pointing my finger at you, just some general points I see only the past few days.

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think I am pretty fair in the past few days since in my argument I always used LD's interview as a base, in which he said LM said "if all points are judged in your favor, then what's the point having this match played?".

But in fact, as you argued in the LYB "break his leg" case, this cannot be evidence since LM hasn't admitted it yet and there is no one testifying. Therefore I added that remark. There is no evidence of LM yelling at the umpire either.

It's ridiculous that LM should carry equal responsibility. Even if LM said that, it's like I stared at some other guy angrily and then this guy pulled out a knife and stabbed me. Should I carry equal responsibility? Of course not.

My opinion regarding responsibility of the incident: if LM said that sentence, LM 10%, LD 90%. If he didn't and LD got mad just because seeing a Chinese helping a Korean, LM 0%, LD 100%.

#108 ye333, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  9. ashkenazi

ashkenazi Regular Member

Haha... I have to agree. I don't follow pro badminton much and am born in Canada (zero sense of nationalism), so I'm pretty neutral about this. I only came to this subsection of the forum because I saw the video on youtube's top 10 viewed :p

I sort of wish I hadn't now though. It's kind of sad to see that a good number of people are being so extremely biased about this situation. I've been reading post after post from the people making the same points over and over and ignoring what others are saying. It's the same people too everytime!

Sigh, at least try not to let your bias get to you too much. It makes this whole discussion seem a bit ridiculous at times. :(

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if anyone ever doubt why we need to moderate discussions here in BC, just look at the comments on the youtube video. i will shut down BC if BC ever get populated by those comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1P5Nbne9do

11. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    im not condoning LD's actions, but to say that the instigator (LM) has so little fault in this situation is absurd.
    also, notice how LM wont come out and say in public what he had said to LD before LD threw his racket. LM has only made comments about LD's violent actions, but doesnt really acknowledge that he also has fault in this situation.

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LM has his right to talk as long as he stays in the box ie his area.

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    So it has nothing to do with you like to play GOD :D

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah..

..yes, i hear you. But i guess, in a way, that's a good thing abt this forum also. People can speak their opinions/minds, even if they're biased & get into disagreements, yet at the same time, can make friends & move on as a group. Thankfully, also, we have such a strict, yet understanding team of owner/moderators that this place could still thrive.
    ..it's just too bad to see & read people writing such posts over there.:crying::(:p
    Thankfully, BC is quite strict & will not tolerate such postings!:cool:

#114 ctjcad, Feb 1, 2008
  15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Let me first state that even though I am an Indonesian fan, I am NEVER a fan of Taufik. I am also neither Lin Dan or Lee Hyun Il's fan.

Just want to give some of my comments here:
    1. Lin Dan DID THROW the racket in the direction of Li Mao. So, if that racket did hit Li Mao, I think it will amount to assault? Maybe the standards of crime in the US or Canada is different :cool: But as eaglehelang had pointed out a case in Malaysia, there is still NO REASON for you to resort to violence, even though you were provoked.

2. Yes, Li Mao did overreact, but, coaches do shout instructions to players and sometimes to umpire to question their judgements. I personally saw Li Yongbo shouting instructions to Zheng Bo/Gao Ling from the stands at the HK Open, when the Chinese pair was playing Sudket/Saralee. At the end, LYB himself joined Chen Xingdong in the coach area because Zheng/Gao were losing the match.

Fortunately, the match was saved...by...yes...u got it....a controversial call (Sudket's smash was ruled out) similar to this one, called in favor of the Chinese pair, to give Zheng/Gao a MATCH POINT! I was sitting right above the court and that shot was clearly out by a distance!! I think the Thai coach did complain and reacted quite furiously to that call too. Maybe kwun can correct me if if I am wrong here! But, did Sudket throw a racket to the Chinese bench? Did Bao Chunlai throw a racket to the Indonesian bench when he was denied a point also in controversial circumstances in the Men's Singles Final of the Indonesia Open 2006?

If most players can react cooly about it, you tell me, why can't Lin Dan react the same way? And that's the part where we disagree! We don't think that his action WAS JUSTIFIED AT ALL! If he reacted simply because of Li Mao's provocation, then its not based on badminton anymore. Throwing his racket on the ground as signs of frustration IS UNDERSTANDABLE,however, throwing it in the direction of Li Mao is RIDICULOUS!

In addition, as ants mentioned, Li Mao has the right to to talk as long as he stayed in his own area. Well, I think he did stay in the Korean side's area before Lin Dan threw the racket :cool:

Talking about double-standards, well, it applies to some of the Lin Dan's supporters too. kwun can confirm this one too as we all laughed at that guy's response.

#115 badMania, Feb 1, 2008
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    as a fellow bf member, i suggest that u save your breath. Look at the poll, rehashing this incident over and over again will change nothing. U sound like u r running out of material to discuss and now resorting to 'what if' scenarios. Probablistically, LD racket throwing can lead to killing alot of people in the stadium or the collapse of South Korea if u list out ALL the possible subsequent scenarios using the DEEP BLUE supercomputer.

I see a positive light from this LD incident. If BWF is not gonna move their a$$ to improve the line judging/verification (ie camera) system, i don't know what will. TH had spoken out before and LD had spoken in KO.
    It's too bad LCW, peter gade, sudket and others havent spoken out loudly like TH and LD. That is why BWF is slow to act.

Save your energy and direct it to the BWF.

#116 cooler, Feb 1, 2008
  17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Nah, the "what-if" scenarios appeared pretty early in my comments several days ago :p

Again, you are right in saying that, you can't deny what had already happened, which is "Lin Dan DID THROW the racket in the direction of Li Mao". Thanfully, the poll results also pointed out that the majority of us do think that Lin Dan deserves a harsh penalty, and FYI, which includes some Chinese fans too.

Ah...so now Lin Dan and Taufik Hidayat become instant heroes here :eek: And that's why Both players' actions WERE UNDERSTANDABLE. Ok cooler, We got it now :rolleyes:

#117 badMania, Feb 1, 2008
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Ah.. like the Nike motto....JUST DO IT! Very wise indeed....so...other players...please heed cooler's advice: speak out LOUDLY too if you are being unfairly treated ;) Revolutionalize badminton and make it the most watched racket games in the World. We want more actions...more dramas....good for TV isn't it?

If the single incident happening at Korea Open can make to the top 10 list of youtube....imagine what happen if more of the same stuffs were to occur....like in ice hockey or American football.

Well, as far as I know, this matter has been reported to BWF already.

#118 badMania, Feb 1, 2008
  19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Nvm mind-lah Cooler, they got a bit of free time mah.. now no tourney...

Btw, since the other thread got locked, thanks for putting up the link to 2001 incident. Unfortunately, bf I could I could reply there, you all already had major arguements that caused the thread to be locked.
    It's not that I have short memory, I really dont know such incident happened. Then Taufik should have been severely punished by PBSI(since it was local tourney), charged in criminal court. The thing is, I couldnt find any follow-up news on what punishement was dished out and all that.

And again, if it was any Msian player doing what LD or Taufik did, woe unto them, the whole armada will come down on them.

Wong8Egg, - [Some question the source of the umpire interview conduct by the Chinese media while never doubted and bringing up over and over again old sources of the "break his leg" statement that was promoted by the Malaysian media.]

In response to the above pt : while I dont agree with the comparision of KO 2008 incident to WC 2006 one, that report came up in AP & Bwf website, I posted it somewhere in one of the threads :
    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/22/sports/EU_SPT_BAD_Worlds.php

Mostly was intv with LCW, there were follow-up reports where the reporters asked the coaches (sorry, they dont provide archives for non-subscribers), it did happen but the difference was the media, sporting authorities, fans,didnt say "poor LCW", they critised LCW for being "mentally weak"- this happened too in WC 2007,CO 2007.
    Some of the fans here could be LCW's hard core fans.

My point has been the decision makers, media, fans viewpoint in Msia is different from some hard core fans, as compared to China's media.
    Whether reports 100%, 50% true, we read, then compare with other press intv for consistency. As to the umpire's intv, havent seen it crop up in other places yet.

#119 eaglehelang, Feb 1, 2008
  20. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    i'm getting tired of following the discussions here, which seem to go round and round .... hence I've decided to stay out of the BC forums these few days to avoid making a fool of myself :D :D