Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, penalty competition!
    cool ....

2. x50926x

x50926x Regular Member

Student
    Well, for me, i would go for a large fine. Then use the money to hire more credible line judges or install cameras (if the fine is large enough) :D

Or, Lin Dan himself can follow in Zidane's footsteps and voluntarily serve three days of community service by being a line judge in the next SS :D

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I think fine $$$ is not the effective way coz badminton players do not earn as much as footballer (with comparison between LD and Zidane). So, this is out of question.

IMHO, the most effective penalty is to deduct his ranking points (just like Seria A or EPL) significantly (OG is approaching) and hopefully he will learn how to control his emotions on/off courts.

As for LM, BWF should impose HUGE fine (at least US$20,000) for his "inappropriate" approach/misconduct. He has NO rights to leave his chair and try to "challenge" the umpire to NOT overrule the decision. Crap, this guy was trying to irritate LD and LD did retaliate. OK, both parties were at faults.

4. tyran

tyran Regular Member

if no penalty given, for sure to be expected BWF transforms to WWF, a great wrestling battle or boxing would happen in future, badminton rackets to be used as flying blade. and the worst, it could happen in olympic game......

5. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    LI Mao should be shown a yellow card but not only LD.

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I disagree - Li Mao is justified in raising his objection. He is the coach and he is part of a team. If he does not raise an objection, he would be seen as ineffective (he was paitent with the 4 previous calls reversal and wanted to make sure the 5th objection by LD is not carried). He has every right to object - if he was penalised for shouting then what do you think LD was doing ?

As to irritating LD, I am not sure about that -- I think Li Mao was irritated by LD (not the other way round) trying to influence the judge with his objections continuously.

Although I like Misbun a lot, I felt he could have said something on behalf of LCW when LCW raised objections on the wrongful calls against him in the China Open. Li Mao, at least stood up. And LD has no right to express such an outrageous temper on Li Mao (swinging a racket at someone for speaking out). It is like me telling you I am going to bash you for speaking out like this.:D;)

I don't see the reasons for taking action against Li Mao and will bet satay with you that Li Mao will not have any action taken against him.:D

7. tyran

tyran Regular Member

LD should be given a red card for his severe misconduct.

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    good idea
    one red card to LD
    one red card to baseline's judge
    one red card to sideline's judge
    # can we issue red card to coach that interfere umpire judgment?? :p

9. tyran

tyran Regular Member

then the player who attack coach should be denied from BWF membership.

10. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    im with you on this one. :D:D:D Satay anyone?

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i hope the BWF will investigate this problem properly and give any good and proper action...

12. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think Misbun did the right thing! I think the players have their right to discuss rulings with the umpire. I do not think this is a part of a coach role. If he wants to act as "supporter" then he should sit in the audience!!!

13. victory

victory Regular Member

I think LD should be fined for a large fine and suspension for 3 SS. Let him play OG of course, other wise it will be too harsh. How about Thomas cup? What do you guys think?

Also LD must apologize to Li Mao, world baminton fans, Korean organizer and BWF. I don't see him doing it soon. He still show no remorse of his violent act on court. He is way to arrogant and recalcitrant.

What he has done has made him lost respect among badminton fans around the world. Being loved / admired is one thing. I am sure he has his fans that still love him.

But what about real respect? Nothing can replace dignity!! I think unless LD can sincerely apologize to the parties I have mentioned above, he has lost he respect and dignity.

This is like Germany that apologize sincerely for what they have done in WW2 and later help as many victim as possible. They have finally gained trust and respect among the internationl community. Comparetively let's look at another country (I don't want to mention name, I want to be as diplomatic as possible)where they have never sincerely apologize and refuse to help war victims in the countries that they have terrorized, untill today they still don't gain trust and really respect. ( I must clarify that I mention the above solely for the purpose of explaining my point.)

By the same token, if LD refuse to apologize, people will always remeber he is the ( one and only in history perhaps)player that try to hit someone when losing. When people mention his name, their say "YUK!! Violent guy! So what he is a world champion. I don't want my son to be like him!"

But if he sincerely apologize and promise that he will never act violently on court, people can forgive him.

One can not loss dignity and respect. Acheivement in career can not replace dignity and respect.

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) Look again at the pictures Red00estrat took. He shook LD's hand, umpires
    hand, pack up, left.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35765&page=4

2) Comparisions are made because BWF has to look into that (as a precedent) when making a decision as any Displinary Board or court would have to. The severity of the case also comes into place, the more serious, the stiffer the sanction/penalty.

In certain countries, if it's the general public doing it, LD's racket throwing stunt could be charged with intention to injure in a criminal court.
    That is the seriousness - however provoked, if a person throws objects at another, the other party can lounge a report, even if it didnt hit anybody.
    If it was a sharp object (knife, steel rod, arrows, etc), it can become intention to kill.
    And it's certainly more serious than Taufik's walking off incident.

IF BWF dishes punishment lesser than Taufik's, it would be seen as unfair to Indonesia. BWF must be seen to be fair to all countries or lose it's credibility among member nations.

#134 eaglehelang, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Let's look at the poll result for now. The 2 extremes "no penalty" and "way harsh penalty" combined together for over 55%. While the rest, is less than half.

What's this tell us? A lot of ppl simply issued their votes because "I like him", "I don't like him", "he's my country's hero", "he's from the opponents", etc

This discussion becomes tasteless to a point, and I don't think the 2 sides will ever agree each other. :eek:

16. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    what can BWF do? Ban Li Mao from coaching:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:?

17. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Taufik did that in HK 2006, got punished. Things remained the same.

Yes, all that already stated the spokesman for the Displinary Board.
    Our Huang doesnt simply mention things - the SS suspension & fine, that's why I asked where he read the info or he heard personally from Taufik/Taufik's coach.

19. block306

block306 Regular Member

Does anyone know if WBF is really doing, considering of doing anything at all?

20. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    I voted for small fine because he shouldn't have thrown the racket but I don't have anything against him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.