Women Menstrual Cycle

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by IndoAmerican, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I had a partner once that yelled "It's all because of my damn period!!" after we lost a match.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well I have never researched this but that is one reason.

Active exercising reduces pain by release of endogenous endorphins.

However, a person has to be suffering less pain in the first place to exercise. So, you have excluded all those ones with more pain.

So, the reason is not clear.

3. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Eagle was saying that if a woman who is active in sports/exercise regularly, she might have less pain when it comes. She was not asking if active exercise would relieve pain during it, and she wants your opinion :rolleyes:

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    yes, but there is an alternative hypothesis and that is those ones who exercise can do so because they have less suffer less pain in the 1st place.

i.e. there are two reasons why people who exercise might suffer less pain and it probably needs logistic regression to overcome the issue of confounding. Again, somebody probably has done the survey and relevant statistics before. I really have not looked up the relevant research articles.

5. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    Ok, the bottom line is that a woman's mentrual cycle can affect her performance, PERIOD.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Sounds like a chicken and egg question :D

Women can't be havin the problem all the time can they? Please advise

7. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

Now it seems as if the girls just want this thread to die while the guys continously venture further :p.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    As a woman without pain, I can say it doesn't affect me at all.

Unless it is during the four hours or so that are the heaviest part of the cycle. Then, I just feel generally uneasy.

Also, women often undergo short-term anemia prior to and during their menstrual cycle. This affects oxygen transport in the blood and therefore overall performance.

However, I sometimes find I play better when I have my period. So, no, I don't think there's a direct relationship except in the cases of abnormal periods (pain, excessive bleeding, etc.)

Also, I should note, that the psychological impact of the time of the month is significant. What kind of impact it will be frequently depends on what kind of... er... 'materials' we females use to deal with this issue. Some are more conducive to forgetting that we have our periods than others. It does tend to nag as a worry in the back of one's mind otherwise.

Hope that helped to the testosterone-dominated folk out there!

9. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

It has happened to me before too but my partner was also my best friend so it was fine. We have dealt with far more sensitive issues than this one.

With all these discussions, it is time for a statutory cautionary advice to guys:

If your mixed doubles partner plays badly, do NOT ever ask her if she is on her period. If you do not heed this message, don't be surprised if she breaks a perfectly fine racket on your noggin. :p

10. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

Very true ;). Consider yourself warned :p.

11. babystar

babystar Regular Member

Student
    what a topic....im too shy tor read the comments...

my comment is no comment...

period gives no problem to play good

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    OK lets develop further this subject.

How do supplements like Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) and others help women cope with this? Especially if these supplements can improve the Female Badminton Players performance during the 'period'.

13. bonchu

bonchu Regular Member

This is an OK topic to discuss :) I guess the men are just curious, eh! ;) From my own experience after playing for almost 4 decades, periods don't bother me at all. The most important thing to me (and if I may say so, it is true for everyone of us) is to be fit; everything else won't affect my performance. You can throw your game by simply not getting enough sleep or enough warm up. That's my 2 cents :)

14. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

- wi
    I thank everyone's courage in discussing this sensitive subject. Yes, your answers did help me, satisfies some of my curiosities, and confirm some of my suspicions.

Answering your question as to why I am interested in this subject is simply because I suspect that professional female badminton players have overcome the problems associated with the cycle syndrome and in dealing with the pains much like other issues they must deal with (i.e. physical, mental, emotional, psychological, physiological, etc.). Whether they use EPO, other supplements, or their will own power.

I do believe this affects some players more than others; and to be a good badminton player, it requires consistency - which means that no matter what day of month, the female players are expected to perform as well their male counterpart, especially in the big tournament such as the Super Series.

So, there may be something we could learn from those players...

#54 IndoAmerican, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  15. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i see no problem in discussing this topic because it is only human nature. and the road to knowledge is to ask and listen.

i think somebody mentioned that if these women players have cronic pain during period, they might not be active in sports in the first place. on the psychological level, that would be the one most probably affecting their game in my opinion. but in that case, male players have mood swings too. some days are just bad days and some days are real good. when you feel good, you play well and when you dont, you tend to get bothered by the smallest little things. depends on your focus and concentration i think and that would mean will power. mind over body. :D

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Cheung, yes, they suffer less pain, or slight to medium pain in the 1st place.

Jug8man, there are those who suffer chronic pain throughout their period, have to take Medical leave kinda pain. Chronic as in severe stomach cramps, cant get up from bed.

If you all see the posts by the ladies here, you'll find all of them dont suffer much physical pain. I think they are quite active outdoors, maybe play 2 to 3 times a week.
    Personally, I find the exercising bit good too, regular exercising will cause the 1st 2 days to be half as painful.
    If I'm just a potato coach, it's more painful. My pain level is just needs a Panadol (non prescription drug), rest 1 hr, and off I go.

There's a stronger drug that those who experience more pain take, I remember it's pronounced as "Postan", small time pain killers dont work for them.

That would be me. Althetes get into sports young. So if a gal had chronic pain during her periods since puberty, she cant even go to school or walk about, how to involve in sports ?- that was my logic anyway.
    Unless, the pain reduces, so those still in would either experience slight or medium pain only.

The mind over body, yup, me agree, since gals experience it every 28 days, over the years would have learnt to overcome it by the time they become pro. Good for mental strength development, he he he.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There is a herb called Dong Kwai, which has been used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese medicine. Dong Kwai, sometimes referred to as female gingsen, is known to do all lot of things for women, including relieving menstrual pains.
    BTW, have you ever tried eating chicken boiled with Dong Kwai? It is surprisingly good, especially the soup.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought I remember that that soup boiled with black chcken is specially meant for the ladies only! :D Guys are not encouraged to take it.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, it is for women only. Whether black chicken or white chicken, it is very good. Dong Kwai or Dong Quai or Tang Kwei is a root used for the treatment of female gynecological ailments, particularly menstrual cramps, irregularity, and malaise during the menstrual period. It is also used to relieve the symptoms of menopause. It is also known as Angelica sinensis. It works at its best with vitamin E, B6, and zinc.
    We used to have many American expats' wives in Hong Kong who were taking Dong Quai. Is it used widely in Malaysia or Singapore?

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I believe so in Singapore.