Shouting after each point earned

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by sengkiang, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

Hi,

Does anyone knows if a player shout like "Loud-YES!" or "PERFECT" each time when he wins a point. Is this against the rule?

The opponent felt annoyed and complains. But no one know he is against the rule.

Any idiea?

2. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, perhaps you should do a search...?

3. sengkiang

sengkiang Regular Member

I did search before posting this message. The disicussion were more duing the play. The zitat is "as long as it does not distract the opponent" than is ok.

Can the Umpire asked the player to shut up?

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

as far as I know, only unnecessary distractions during the rally are faulted/against the rules...
    At pro level, they all shout, do victory laps, pump their arms, etc...

I think it's perfectly fine, and brings excitement to the game, in my honest opinion, anybody who feels annoyed by this, should be playing golf...or chess...;)

EDIT:
    I did, on one occasion, see an umprire ask Chandra Wijaya to calm down (at, like 2-3, first game)... Chandra said okay, and continued like nothing happens..no faults/cards/anything...
    Though if another player is upset by it, he could ask the ump...but afaik this only happens when the other player gets verbally abusive...

#4 jerby, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. Ayame

Ayame Regular Member

Student, Martial Arts Instructor
    I think they can ask them to settle down a bit, but it depends on the empire and how big of a disturbance the opponent is actually causing.

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    if it is after a point won then it is not against the rules, ive seen and heard many players doing it as well as have done it myself after winning a long fought rally or you know comming back or after winning the game/match.

It is true that the umpire does have the right to tell the player to quiet down but yeah. there is also the issues that go along when somebody chears when their opponent makes a mistake and all that but not going to get into that here.

But yes after a point is won/scored there is no rule saying you are not allowed to shout, fist pump, etc BUT be weary of the umpire they might ding you for stuff i know one pair in a tourny lost a point cause they fist pumped after winning a point so just be aware that the umpire coudl step in at any time.

7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I guess that's ok as long as they're not abusing the opponents.I often did that to myself,like pumping my own adrenaline,esp when i got hot.

8. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    Lol It's All Head Games! xD

9. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I remember there was one game where Peter Gade was complaining Chen Jin for shouting too much. And as much as I remembered, the umpire did not gave card to CJ and Chen continue to shout after each point to upset Gade. Which he end up winning the game.

10. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

Chen won that match?

11. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

Yep. I believe it was during 2007 China Open Quarterfinals. Gade lost his cool and lost the match. Anyway, I think Gade complaining about Chen Jin's shouting is amusing considering that Gade himself shouts when the opponent makes an unforced error. You just can't let these little things throw you off your game.

12. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

You gotta get into the zone :cool: .

....sorry.... I just had to say that :D....

13. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    Haha ya true is also is testing yr opponenet patient:D

14. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

I played a really intense mixed match once, and ended up winning. My partner was so happy and relieved that he just went up to the net, dropped to his knees, put his fists in the air and yelled "YESSSS!!!". Everyone was laughing at him. It was really funny how he just burst because he was pratically mute during the match.

15. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    If you're distracted by little things like this... you might consider changing to other sports :p

16. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

Noooo :eek:! Don't say that :p! Shouldn't we encourage be encouraging him to be strong and man-up instead of telling him to give up ;)?!

17. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    I was trying to encourage him... in a different way :p

18. COOLEST

COOLEST Regular Member

I see ;).

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i personally shout out whenever it gets to a tight score. stuff like "COME ON!!!" and then every now and then, throw in some swearing in chinese, because most people in Aotearoa won't know :D :D i think it's a good thing to do. one, it makes you believe in yourself, and even if you lose in the end, it's clear that you played your heart out, and that's what matters the most.

i've only been mocked once, which was when i bet someone who, on paper, should have no trouble against me. after i won, i lifted my hand and said "Yes!!" and he mimicked me. but i didn't really care.

as for the rule, i'm pretty sure it's allowed. anything not directed at your opponent should be ok.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I saw that match (and some other CJ vs PG)
    From what I saw, it wasn't like that... (I mean, shouting is perfectly normal at that level)
    Chen often shouted/cheered before the shuttle hit the ground, even on some close calls... Peter was pointing at the line-judges and all...
    I think Peter Though Chen was "trying to influence the linejudges" (maybe not consciously, but that hardly matters)

At our national league, all the cards given out because of shouting was because they didn't cheer, they cursed and shouted and got a bit...carried away... Not exactly cheering:rolleyes::p