Travelling with your badminton racket!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by boyboy, Jun 17, 2002.

1. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    no, no large racket bag...i have one, but it was too much to bring as carry on, i just folded it up and stuffed it in the luggage. If i were to carry on, id have an empty racket bag for like 6 rackets and shoes with 3 rackets in it.

2. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    If you are travelling within NZ, say from Auckland to Christchurch (did this once before..) via Qantas...i wasnt allowed to bring my racket on board as they were classified as "long piece of weapon"...

Well ..the racket was in its leather bag ....so .......pfftch =.= .....

3. ThinkRiver

ThinkRiver Regular Member

Travelling With Your Badminton Racquets?

a couple weeks ago, I departed from Sydney, when I checked in my baggage, the checker did not allow me to bring my badminton on airplane,because the badminton racket can be use as a weapon.

how do you usually take your racket when you have a trip through airplane?

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Well I last year I left China for Adelaide with a badminton racket with me, and nothing prevented me from doing so... this year I plan to do the same.

5. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    I think it's different for different countries. Some will let you, some won't. I'm going to Hong Kong tommorow and am definatly planning to buy some rackets. Hopefully I will be able to bring the racket with me on board.

6. Snowlait

Snowlait Regular Member

When I flew from Estonia to DK and from DK to UK, they let me bring my racquets up, since I explained that they´re very fragile and I would make sure that my racquets wouldn´t disturb anyone.

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

lol, I can imagine Canada and US using the same arguement. They won't even allow for nail clippers

8. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    Now the rule is all sporting equipment must not be hand carried it must be checked in.

I am very sure as my dad told me so and he works in the airline industry.However some countries allow it some dont. so it depends on the country.But in legal wise it has not been allowed for sometime.

9. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I carried on my badminton bag with 5 rackets to China from US this summer and back. Didn't have any problem.

10. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer

If you take more than 1 racket then you have to check it in...but a way to get by is to tell them its expensive and get a tag for you to take it on board...it would be better if you put it in your racket bag and use it as a hand luggage....

11. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think it depends on how many you are planning to carry with you. Last time when I flew to Japan from the US, I notice a tennis team had their Tennis rackets with them. But they only had 1 each. I usually put my rackets in my suit case when I travel over seas. What I did is that I try to make as flat as of surface as I can with clothes and etc. After that I lay more clothes on top of it and most suit case has the net and I just put the net over all of it so that it doesn't move. Never had a broken racket from doing that so far. (Knock on wood)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i still have a 20 yrs old Samsonite hardshell suitcase just for this purpose. i put my rackets in a big 6+ racket bag, then stuff tshirts around them, then i put the bag itself in the suitcase. the bag itself takes up 1/2 the suitcase but as i already put many clothes into the racket bag, it doesn't take up much space in reality. and i know that the combination of the racket bag, clothing and suitcase will be a good thermal insulation against the cold cargo area in the airplane.

i have also for shorter trips just checking in the racket bag stuffed with clothing, in those times, i put a squash racket in the bag also as a strengthening element. that works too.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Last night, on the flight from Macau to Singapore, there was a chap carrying a tennis racquet.
    It had been placed in his backpack such that the shaft and the (extremely dirty) handle were sticking out.
    No one objected... :)
    You're right about that. :)
    But most airlines prefer to go by the spirit of the rule, rather than by the wording.
    For instance, how would they apply it to table-tennis paddles, inflated footballs and chess-sets? :p
    So, surf boards, cricket bats, baseball bats, oars, sabres, foils and the like go on as check-in baggage... while badminton racquets and similarly light equipment usually pass muster as cabin baggage :)
    Of course, it is quite a deadly weapon :cool:
    Haven't you noticed Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Taufik Hidayat, Bao Chunlai and other warriors destroy others with it? :D

Personally, I use one of two methods:

1. If I must take my large, wheeled laptop bag along, I line the bottom of my suitcase with my badminton shirts and tracksuits and then lay the racquets (usually two - and with their full-covers) flat on them. Another layer of heavy clothes (like trousers) follows. So far, my racquets have always arrived undamaged despite the enthusiastic sadism of airline baggage handlers. :)

2. If I don't need to take my laptop bag along, I carry the racquet bag in as my cabin baggage. One compartment will have my racquets (usually two), wrist-bands, socks, extra grips, my laptop computer and its accessories... the other compartment will have my shoes, shirts and tracksuits. In any case, I ensure that it is never heavier than 7kg. So far, no airline has said 'no' to the bag although it's longer than the regulation allows. :cool:

Of course, when using the second method, you will need to ignore a lot of stares, especially if you have a minor paunch that says 'this guy isn't a professional player' :D

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Things people do to carry their baddy equipments around..

..there's a similar thread, inquiring the same query, here;):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6070
    ..boy, hmm, so this is how kwun carries and protects his precious goodies..does the suitcase also say "FRAGILE-Handle with care"??..:confused::);)
    ..Oldhand, the next time i notice a person carrying a bag as you described above, i'll know that's you..;):cool:

#134 ctjcad, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  15. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

eh.. I recently brought back my racket from Hong Kong to Toronto last Xmas.. and I walked right through everything with my Yonex bag right to my plane seat with no problem. I was worried about having my racket checked in, incase it would get squished under the luggage or something. Might I add that I had various other goods around the racket, such as bags of chips, water bottle, bags of spicy green peas and other junk food.

Yes, I was able to walk onto a plane with a water bottle in my hand, and this was after the liquid issue thing. No one stopped me or anything.

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Ugh.. when I travelled from Singapore to Sydney when I was 12, the customs stopped me and wrapped my racquets with some padding materials saying that it could be used as a potential weapon :S. Funny how they did that to a twelve year old. I dont think it's really a problem to carry your racquets onto a plane, just get them wrapped with some padding materials.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Hmm..

..abt bringing liquid into Toronto/Canada, and correct me if i'm wrong, but do they have a rule which prohibits people from carrying certain liquids onto a plane? I know certain countries don't have that rule. I thought the rule only applies to U.S. outbound or inbound flights??...Also, if i remember correctly, one wouldn't be able to carry certain amt. of liquid(s) from the outside lounge into the boarding lounge, through the x-ray check point. However, once a person passes the x-ray check point and is inside the boarding lounge, s/he could possibly purchase any liquid(s) from any vendors/duty-free shops, if there are any. I know in my last trip, some passengers purchased some alcohols/liquids from duty free shops, that were inside the boarding lounge and they could still board the plane with them.

#137 ctjcad, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Thanks, chris, for the link to the past :p

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Link to the past??..

...sorry, as in??:confused:..oh, the thread got merged; although i notice there are 2 other similar threads, mentioned in the 1st page..

20. Chee_Khang

Chee_Khang Regular Member

Student
    Travelling with your Badminton Rackets

To all those who have travelled by plane, how did you guys bring along your rackets? Is it just by checking in the rackets as fragile items?

Many airlines had restricted the rackets to be hand carry on board right, so I guess Hand Carry would not be possible.

If you check in the rackets, do you put any extra protections for your racket in the bag?

Is there anyone that experience to hava broken rackets due to the baggage handling by the airline?

Share your experience. Thanks.