which SMASH is more powerful? standing or jump!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by khan09, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    only if you time it right. if not, it'll be worse for you. but yes, jump smashes are better, if used properly. the thing is, can you use it to its full potential?

2. eugenesmasher

eugenesmasher Regular Member

Undergrad.
    Yeah sometimes at the wrong angle the shuttle might fly out of court. Or, if too far away from the net, might end up netting the shuttle instead.

Happens to me sometimes.

3. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Agreed. Allow me to add something....the benefit of the jump smash is the value of speed....the jump means you hit the shuttle very early/higher contact point....so your opponent has very little time to get ready to recieve the smash. Yes...the angle is steeper.

Not so sure about the power advantage. Most smash from the baseline loses power once it cross the net.....and can be return by a well prepared opponent using just a wrist flick. For Doubles, the smasher should also be prepared to do consecutive smash or jump smash....Recently, played with an experienced players....I think I made about 10 consecutive smash in order to win a single point....super tiring. :(

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    happens to me EVERY time :cool::cool::p:p:D:D:D

5. eugenesmasher

Undergrad.
    The thing is, jump-smashes must be of a steep angle otherwise, it goes out of the court.

That happens to me all too often...

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this is what we call flat smash.........:p

7. eugenesmasher

Undergrad.
    Sometimes even lobbing it goes out of court. Quite embarrassing.

8. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    is ok..... just over-powered........:)

9. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Jump smash is an art… not everyone can master. You pay me Rm 3000… I transfer my Chi to you :)

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I've started to train jump smashes into my game; first do a small jump, with more wrist, then make my way up to big jumps and full body motion. I find that the power is about the same; but hitting a steep angle is easier to do now, but more punishing when the angle isn't as good (it goes out).

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    #171 ants, Dec 5, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    That smash is not an art... it's just an ad. :p
    It was for 'Powerade' - a few years ago.

That's why the video has none of the usual identifiers.
    No signboards, no scoreboards, no broadcaster's logo, no ad banners... nothing at all. :)

All said and done, such power would certainly come in quite handy :D

13. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I was trying this again last night at the club and any time I could jump ( whether it was two foot take off or scissor kick) my smash was definately harder than any one that had me with my feet on the ground.

A couple smashes that I stepped into (like a baseball pitcher) were harder than a ground based smash, but still not a hard as when I could some form or jump.

It appears that I get a lot of power being able to rotate my lower body with my upper body swing patterm.

The angle doesn't apply, as I tend to go for the body on my smashes.

14. katz_2007

katz_2007 Regular Member

none

I think both stance are just equal...
    cause many times, you can use standing during a smash, but jumping looks more attacking than standing..

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9OPgiivnG0

even back in 1990, jumpsmashing isn't in vogue.
    If jumpsmashing is more powerful, it would had been used since badminton was first played. I mean pure jumpsmashing, using only legs flexing as to add power.

#175 cooler, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, if backhand short serves were better than forehand serves...etc etc. Sooner != better
    I hope this isn't your main argument;)

As for the latter part, "pure" jumpsmashing? please, do explain... I can't follow:confused:

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well, the argument isn't really weather the Jump smash is better or not! We all know jump smashing is better for killing the shuttle (the main argument of course getting a steeper angle and shorter distance to the opposite court ground!!).

However this doen't really prove that the vertical part of the jump in any way assists in generating a faster intial velocity of the shuttle.

/Twobeer

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sorry, bad sentence's on my part...the 'better' part was an analogy, contrasting the "more powerfull" part of Coolers idea.

as for the last part..I'd say thats highly dependant on the players technique. Player A might have horrible rotation when ground-bound, but jumps into the shuttle (forward accelaration) well enough.
    Player B might jump straight up and not flex his legs, but rotate nicely on the floor.
    I couldn't for the life of my imagine a generalization about this, at the moment..

19. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    I dunno, after my two weeks of getting the jump smash then losing it, I kinda vouch that a jump smash felt faster to me. There was a time when I got the jump smash about 90% of the time and the timing was impeccable. At this time, it seemed like I really transfered a lot of energy from the legs and torso onto the bird. I also struck the bird much earlier (50-60 degrees from the perpendicular to the floor compared to 70-80 degrees from a normal smash). Also in addition to that, I didn't just jump straight up, but I moved back and jumped forward and leaned into the smash.

Buuut after awhile, I kinda lost the timing. I normally have a pretty decent smash already.

And Jerby could have a point about the technique thing. Because the technique (Timing and power used) used to generate power on a ground based smash and airborne smash certainly is different.

Maybe it was just my perception, but just adding my two cents to this discussion. I dare not say for sure that it's faster since I haven't measured it with a radar gun. :D

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    In almost all sports power comes from the core of the body. This is also true in badminton, where the core is more important than just strong arms. Of course a jump smash, if done correctly, will unleash the greatest power in badminton, because the core of the body is fully utilised. Notice that the hips, obliques, abdominal and lower back areas, which are collectively known as your core, come into full play as you jump, bend backwards and then bend foreward at the hips, to hit the shuttle and at the same time bringing your right leg in front as you land. This is power and poetry in motion. This is also why a skillful little gir, with pencil thin arm, can clear and smash from one end to the other end with power.
    It may not be obvious, a lot of arm and elbow injuries are due to a poorly conditioned core. Merely strengthening your arm muscles is useless if your core is weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.