World Championship qualifiers

Discussion in 'World Championships 2003' started by fan, Feb 20, 2003.

1. fan

fan Regular Member

2. fan

fan Regular Member

According to the ranking, China has three pairs qualified for women double. But among the qualified, two pairs are not the same anymore. The players in one pair had been apart and one of the players in another pair retired and was substituted by a new player.

How would IBF handle this situation?

3. libra

libra Regular Member

From worldbadminton.net...

"Both IBF and the Badminton Association of England have a wildcard entry in each of the five events under the new World Championship regulations. England will almost certainly use theirs on English players, but IBF have a tough task in deciding between the two main contenders for their men’s singles wildcard: Indonesia’s reigning World Champion Hendrawan, currently ranked at 82, and 2001 silver medallist Peter Gade of Denmark, ranked at 77"

I was wondering why the BA of England get a wildcard? Do host nations always get a wild card entrant? It's the first time I've heard badminton granting wild cards.

4. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    Wauuw, just one more day and we'll finally know who got the wildcard. The choise is diffinately between defending champ, Hendrawan and runner up, Gade. Hendrawan has suffered from having to play qualificationmatches just to enter tournaments, losing to players he ought to have beaten. But it could have been due to fatique.
    Gade has also played qual. just to enter first round. After a succesful comeback in the states, he played quite well in the Danish Open but suffered from fatique when he lost to Roslim. He did ok in China Open, losing to Wong Choong Hann but had luck in winning the final "tournament" of 2002, Copenhagen Master where he beat WCH. In All England he once again showed a lack of physic as he lost to Bao C. after both of them had a 90 min. match in the first round.

In my humble opinion, we have a reigning champ who is out of shape ( but similar rumors were aired before 2001, Sevilla) and performing poorly. The runner up, Gade, has showed better play and stamina(when comparing their opponents in the last 5-6 months). But will the IBF prefer the reigning champ to a runner-up. Frankly, i think that Hendrawan has no chance of success in Birmingham, while Gade will need a "one-game-a-day-draw" or an easier draw. Something which he hasn't had at the mayor tournaments the last 4-5 months.

Guess we'll know a lot more tomorrow. It is diffinately exiting, especially if they give us a reason for chosing..............

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If I were the IBF, I would give the wild card to Hendrawan simply because he is the defending Champion. They have to give the defending Champion a chance to defend his title. I don't see any reasons they should give the wild card to Gade other than attacting more people watching the games. If they have to choose a better player, there are currently many unqualified players playing better than Hendrawan and Gade.

6. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    you must be referring to MAS and INO players. And you are proberly correct. They are most likely to invite defending champ forcing denmark to pick gade and having to pick between boesen, rasmussen and jonassen. Because they(denmark) won't pick the last three mentioned as Gade chances of winning are bigger......

It'll be interesting which players MAS will bring to England, after great play from players lowerranked..... me guess is they bring Wong Choong Hann, Ong Ewe Hock and Hafiz.... (my favourite list would be WCH, Hafiz and Roslim)

7. fan

fan Regular Member

Base on the entry process, each member association can¡¦t really pick the players, at least not the way we think they can, for the WC. It is for IBF to pick the qualifiers and for the member associations to decide whether register the player/s among the qualified.

Attached is the entry process.

Entry process

Technically, there are three invitations. Doing so, IBF virtually forces each member association to register all the qualified players in the first invitation. It is all too risky not to register in the first round. It all depends on where the cut off is at in the fist round of selection. Also according to the selection process, maximum allowable player of each member association changes as the selection stages/phases changes. The max allowable players are not always decreases as the stage increases. The maximum allowable players can be raises again after the first 1-150 selection. It makes things a lot riskier with this entry process.

It is the combination of the selection process and the entry process that puts IBF in total control. Each member association may as well send all their highest ranked players, it doesn¡¦t always mean the best.

8. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Forget it... Ong Ewe Hock has been blacklisted by Misbun and BAM for life!
    Wong CH may not be in the list too after the recent poor showing.
    Anyway, it will be a toss up between Wong CH and Lee TS.
    Hafiz Hashim and Roslin Hashim are definitely in Misbun's favourite list.

9. fan

fan Regular Member

Let¡¦s say Misbun bans Wong CH and Ong EH and wants Roslin and Lee TS on his WC squad. How is Misbun going to achieve that?

Roslin and Lee TS aren¡¦t on the first qualifier list. All Misbun can do in phase 1 of entry process is not registering Wong CH and Ong EH and hope that Roslin and Lee TS will be on the second qualifier list. But there is no guarantee that they will be on the second list either. From the fist list, it is clear that all 64 seats are taken before getting to 150th rank. That means maybe some one with lower ranking has higher priority than Roslin and Lee TS in phase 2.

After that, the selection starts again from 9th rank. But in this phase, the maximum allowable players are 4 instead of 3 or 2. That means some one ranked higher than Roslin and Lee TS weren¡¦t qualified in previous selection phases may now qualified. Those player will also be consider first before gets to Roslin and Lee TS.

Besides, no one knows what other associations will do on phase 1. It is hard for Misbun not to take what IBF gives him in phase 1.

Am I right?

#9 fan, Feb 27, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2003
  10. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

11. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    gade got it....

12. fan

fan Regular Member

Misbun wants Wong CH, Hafiz and Lee for the WC. My question is will his wish be granted? Because the entry process, Misbun can¡¦t just turn in the names he wants.

Wong CH and Hafiz are in for sure. But Lee will have to wait for the phase 2.

Now we knew both wild cards would be used. According to phase 1 qualifier list, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd reserves will be considered in phase 2. If I didn¡¦t make a mistake, there are 15 players will be considered first before getting to Roslin and Lee in phase 2.

Unless IBF doesn't follow the selection process. But it is unlikely, because IBF already lists 1st, 2nd and 3rd reserves, ranked 104, 108 and 111. It indicates they are following the process.

Lee will get it only if more than 15 qualified players didn¡¦t register in phase 1.
    No one knows for sure what all the member associations will do in phase 1. 15 out of 62 is about 25%. It seems a bit high. Would that many players give up the chance to play in WC?

Just a mock trail,
    For Lee to be in, the 12th ranked ONG EH needs to be taken out.
    Assume all other qualified players registered in phase 1 except ONG. So only 1 seat left for phase 2. My question is will IBF send the invitation to 1st reserve or to a Malay player?

I guess IBF will send the invitation to 1st reserve. Am I right?

Anyone knows for sure what IBF go about selecting qualifiers in phase 2? It is frustrating here keep guessing what IBF will do.
    :(

13. fan

fan Regular Member

Most people think Gade will get it.

IBF is honest about why they choose Gade. It is because Gade is a popular guy. It is true that so many players rank ahead of Gade but didn¡¦t get it. Now, popularity is more favorable than ranking. It shows in ¡¥you know who¡¦ in the tennis world. Of cause, ¡¥you know who¡¦ can¡¦t remotely compare to Gade.
    :)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    IBF picks Gade!!!

Well, well. all of us were wrong!

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2003/3/1/sports/pdgade&sec=sports

Now that is interesting. Not giving the wild card to the defending world champion.
    If there is one guy who can really turn it on at the right time at the right occasion, it is Hendrawan.

Although IBF have had their reasons, Gade is the one who has faltered more on the big occasions. And he has also not elected to play in some qualifying tournaments.

Granted that Gade's selection may actually to more good to raise interest in the game when the WC is being played in England.

15. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yeah - methinks Gade has been chosen because he is a european. It balances the players out a bit more. I think that Europeans will cheer for Europeans before they cheer for the Asians. I for one am glad that Gade has been chosen, he is on the comeback trail and i think he could have been planning to peak for the worlds which may explain his performance at AE.

Roll on the worlds. i'm going to be there on the thursday and friday :D

Neil

16. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Guys, for the last say 6-7 years, Peter Gade has been one of the most consistent players and The One To Beat in international tournaments. From an IBF point of view, he is also a Star. It's most logical from a badminton perspective and from a marketing perspective that he got the wildcard.

17. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

hmmmm.....

i think a more consistent one would be chen hong and taufik hidayat(too bad.... he quit international badminton for good after 2002 thomas cup)

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Those two are more recent examples. You wouldn't have seen their names at the top of the lists 4-5 years ago. Taufik was spectacular in his failure to get past the Q/f of the 2000 Olympic games where he was no.1 seed.

19. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Malaysian squad named for WC 2003

Tsuen Seng Makes 10 For World Championship

KUALA LUMPUR, March 6 (Bernama) -- Sheer commitment and top form paves the way for Lee Tsuen Seng to the 13th World Badminton Championship in Birmingham, England, scheduled for May 12 to 18.

His inclusion means fellow Nusa Mahsuri shuttler Roslin Hashim misses out.

Tsuen Seng, 23, joins Wong Choong Hann and All England champion Muhammad Hafiz to complete the 10-player squad announced by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Thursday.

Nusa Mahsuri chief coach Misbun Sidek told Bernama the three were the best in Malaysia.

"I hope the trio will go far in the world champioship. But, I'm unable to set any targets as the draw for the championship hasn't been done yet," he said.

Tsuen Seng, ranked 25th in the world, lost in the All England quarter finals last month to Chen Hong from China, and so did Roslin, ranked 32nd. This is Choong Hann's fourth consecutive world championship; Hafiz's first; and Tsuen Seng's third.

Choong Hann lost in the third round to Indonesian Taufik Hidayat in Seville, Spain two years ago; and Tsuen Seng was eliminated in the third round by Peter Gade from Denmark.

For the men's doubles, chief coach Yap Kim Hock named the experienced pair of Chan Chong Ming and Chew Choon Eng, and Choong Tan Fook and Lee Wan Wah.

The pairs qualified for the semifinals at the Seville World Championship. Tan Fook and Wan Wah were beaten in the All England quarter finals.

For the women doubles, the nation's hopes was in the hands of Chin Eei Hui and Wong Pei Tty while Yap placed his bets on Choon Eng and Eei Hui for the mixed doubles.

The women's singles challenge rests with national champion Wong Mew Choo - chosen by Misbun.
    -- BERNAMA

20. fan

fan Regular Member

2nd phase of the WC qualifiers is out.

I wonder why IBF sets up 3 phases in the entry process and high light the qualifiers in each process. No need for 3 phases based on the way IBF select the qualifiers, each member association can summit they players at once.

WC qulifiers