Future of Chen Jin

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by coryprice, Nov 28, 2007.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is not very hard to applaude and give thumbs up to your oppenent when you are winning. I would think he would show more true sportsmanship if he did the same when being beaten.... Giving thumbs up to your opponent when you loose.. that is real sportsmanship..

Praising your opponent when he looses could actually be taken as an insult (if he feels he is having a bad-day, abd calls agianst him etc..)..

He didn't give thumbs up and applaud his opponent as vigourusly in the semis when he lost to LCW ;)

/Twobeer

2. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

you posted what's on my mind...:D

3. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Chen Jin showed his respect to LCW after he lost the tight semi-final(Hong Kong open 06) match against LCW... Don't expect too much... It's not something the losing player must do, since it is an option and not a must do.:rolleyes:

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

People tend to overstress the importance of physical abilities in skill sports like badminton and hockey. Of course, you need a certain profile of physical ability to play a particular style at a particular level of play, but the key thing in both sports is still skill.

Gretzky wasn't great because he had some physical advantage over others. He was great because read offensive situations, make appropriate decisions and execute his action plan better than defensive players could counter him.

5. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I agree, stumblingfeet, 100 percent. But of course you also have more opportunities to do those things, read the opposition, make brilliant plays, if you're on the ice more. But you're right, he was a good player for those reasons more than his physical fitness.

Cory

6. No one

No one Regular Member

yep CJ was very good too when he lost the very close MSF for the 2006 Thai Open against Chen Yu. He was winning in the third set 20-18 and Chen Yu came back to win. Afterwards CJ gave CY a hug. Well they are on the same team but still.....

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes, but you asked, when did Lee start making his mark. and my answer, or opinion, is that he hasn't really made much of a mark for himself.

back to Chen Jin. i would class him probably defensive, not because he can't play aggressive, but because when he's aggressive, like i say, he doesn't possess the skill to be aggressive enough to win. against the top players, he just doesn't carry the firepower to beat them. i think he likes to play fast and attacking. but it never gets him anywhere.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So what did CJ mean when he gave PG the thumbs up since it's also an option and not a must do?

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CJ lacks the ability to finish off? Well, he finished off both WCH and TH in MCO. And this when he was in a clearly struggling state against two more highly experienced players.CJ has better mental stamina than poor LD;he just lacks better weapons against super fit and top skilled players like LCW.

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    mmmmmmmmm CJ could barely finish off an injured WCH in MCO semis. the match stretched to a full (& I mean fuuuulllll) rubber match to the very end. CJ clearly did display the inability to take full advantage of WCH's condition.

So I have to agree with the other's that CJ seem to be lacking the abiltiy to finish off opponents.

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes. but how many times has he done that, consistently, against everyone.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Let's have the full picture. What about TH?

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

For someone of his experience relative to his opponents, more times than expected.Why don't you do some research and give us some real figures to back up your impression?

14. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Taufik Hidayat is an offensive initiatior. This works perfectly well into Chen Jin's tactic of 'wait & see' @ 'reacting to opponents actions' as other members have put it in this thread.

Who comes up on top depends who played the better game on that day. in MCO 2007, It was Chen Jin who was the better man againts a Taufik Hidayat whom 'broke out of character' and played 3 big ones back to back taking all runners up spots.

15. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    His chance for replacing LD as the no 1 in china is getting bigger n bigger.He's so fast,n aggresive.Always play every game with his whole heart.That's what makes him bigger these days.

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    how about in 2005, Lin Dan was 21. he won 5 titles. Chen Jin's won 1 title this year, and 1 last year. i'm not saying Chen Jin isn't good. i think he's a brilliant player. i just don't think he'll have the same dominance as Lin Dan. sure, he'll replace Lin Dan, because eventually, Lin Dan will retire. but he won't eclipse him.

i may be wrong. Chen Jin still has some way to go, he's still young. but so was Lin Dan when he reached World no.1. but Lin Dan had so much talent and ability that he could do that. Chen Jin looks more like a slow maturer to me.

by the way, does anyone know why Chen Jin retired. unfortunately i didn't watch the match yesterday.

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I read he had a back injury or something.

IMO, Chen Jin doesn't have that kind of personal flair to his style; nothing sticks out as his trademarks. He doesn't have an insane backhand, extreme speed, amazing power, or anything. IMO, he'll still be at the top when LD is gone, but I think others will be dominating instead of him.

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well, the discussion was about sportmanship.. And I think that shaking hands and appluading you opponent after a loss, certainly is good sportmasnhip..

My comment was that I don't feel the tumbs up etc after WINNING against PG was any "evidence" of particurlary great sportsmanship fom CJs part..

In my view, it would have been more appropriate to show his respect by applauding with the racket much the same way he did when defeated by LCW.. Overdoing the applause and thumbs up to your opponent after defeating him is almost as bad as not shaking hands after a loss, imop..
    Not very respectful imop.. (at least if it wasn't an extremely tight 3 seter where you wanted to show the audience that it could have gone either way..)

But it may be different, in different cultures, what do I know?

/Twobeer

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Yeah I have to agree. When Lin dan came, he really turned heads like crazy. Everyone was like 'How do you stop this guy!?!?'

Chen Jin came in as a 2 time world junior champ. Sure he was good but he's playing with the big boys now and could not physically dominate his opponents like a rag doll. He's stil very good though. You don't get into the top 5 for nothing.

But hey! With Chen Jin's defensive style + deceptive strokes here and there........ doesn't this make CHEN JIN the next LEE CHONG WEI??? :D

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    well, chen jin might be the next dominant player when taufik, lin dan, peter gade dan LCW retired provided no young hotshot with an abundance of talent packed in a very young body came into the picture. it just seems that when a champion is born you kinda see it real early. LCW starts to shine a bit late and he is still trailing lin dan. :D