Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ycw77

ycw77 Regular Member

Under unforeseen condition, today you win but tomorrow I win. That is badminton, perhaps any other sports also will be the same. Just grab a beer and enjoy the damn show.

-Finished-

2. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    From WMC's frienster...

[​IMG]
    They look so happy together!

3. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Jumping to conclusion?? Dude, you are the one who came up with that 'aggressive' remark?? I merely asked you to re-read my statement (am sure you are able to do that, right?).

Whether you are a Malaysian or not, it doesnt matter. What has being Malaysian gotta do with BCL & LCW match yesterday?

You need to know this, the umpire/linesmen are humans. If you are looking for a perfect accurate decisions, it wont happen unless they use cameras & computers etc.

And dude, it is highly strung not high-strung. You need to get some facts right first before you run that mouth of yours.

Be cool and run along home now boy.

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wong mew choo really got friendster meh?

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Thanks, Ants.I like the way you put across your point.Always civilized or gentlemanly yet effective.

6. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Civil Rights?

I am not sure if we should be civilize when facing the Communist!

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D should we volunteer to become linesmen or umpire???

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

u can subscribe to become a lines men during OG08.....
    go to www.internationalbadminton.org
    u can subscribe there..

9. fishyjojo

fishyjojo Regular Member

fine. i'm sorry about that agressive part. jumping to conclusions...you said all those remarks about not making complaints when there was a similar scenario and me bordering on being hypocritical and a bitter loser. also, i merely enumerated the reasons why i wouldn't be a bitter loser (my not being malaysian included), which all lead to one thing--i didn't take lcw's side, not even bcl's. so you get facts your straight.
    humans being prone to errors in judging is a given, but i still cling to what i said--in games like badminton, umpires with the same nationality as anyone inside the court shouldn't be allowed. it leaves for a smaller chance of any downright partisan officiating.
    about "high strung"...
    1. strung
    past tense of string (v.). In ref. to nerves, feelings, etc., from 1840; e.g. high-strung
    reference: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/strung
    2. high-strung ('strŭng')
    adj. Tending to be very nervous and easily excited.
    reference: http://www.answers.com/topic/high-strung
    3. highly-strung
    adjective (US high-strung) ---> read: in the US, people more often use "high strung"
    very nervous and easily upset:
    a highly-strung young woman
    a highly-strung racehorse
    reference: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=37035&dict=CALD
    you run along now, bud.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree with you that Lindan has more titles than LCW could ever dreamed of at the moment. But Mental toughness does not equals to wins. It does needs other factors as well to be a champion. All of us definately agrees that Lindan is the best multi talented player around since he has the most titles won. But that does not equal to mental toughness. And if LCW still have long way to go.. i dont think he will be in the top 5 for sometime. And for sure.. those lower ranked than him.. may have a long long long way to go in terms of mental toughness.

WC incident is a thing of the past..no one is perfect again. Its not how you fall but how you pick yourself up. And what LCW did after that.. does need a little mental toughness as well.

A person can have the best brain around with multiple PHds etc.. but it may not make him/her a sucessful person.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Dude, some encouragement and applause should be given to our players sometimes, instead of more complaining . LCW is not exactly mentally tough, but definitely improving. His results this year also an improvement from last year, shredding the "jaguh kampung" tag. Yes, he did fall during this WC, but i saw him a better player afterwards. Nth wrong in growing slower than others. Hey, didnt Hendrawan and ZN finally succeeded in their 30s?

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ok, first of all let me say that I enjoy this discussion. You argue your points based on facts and dont resort to petty insults. Class.

Lets look at winners in the other fields i.e. Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Pele & Micheal Schumacher. These 4 are legends in their respective sport. In short, they have won everything there is in their field. Now, tell me honestly, are you saying these 4 are champions without the mental toughness???

Back to Lin Dan, for someone who won 2 back to back WC, you are saying mental toughness dont come into play??? What about that 3 All England titles in Lin Dan's pocket now, you mean he won those based on skills alone???

For Lin Dan to dominate like what he is doing today, it certainly requires mental toughness or else there will be no desire, determination and consistency. And his set of Super Series titles, WCs and All Englands are living proof that the boy is tough mentally as well as skillful and super fit.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What is "mental toughness" ?

Hi Pemuda,

What ants have said is true... many factors are required to be considered if we are to guess who will win a match.

Correct me if I am wrong. :confused: To me, a player's "mental toughness" is his/her determination to win... without being distracted by troubles or difficulties preventing him/her from achieving his/her goal.

Even if we were to consider just 2 factors, say "mental toughness" and skills, there are 7 scenarios, as listed here...

1. When 2 players, A and B, are of equal skills, the one with greater "mental toughness" is more likely to win.

2. When A's skills are better than B's, and A is more determined to win, then A is most likely to win.

3. When A's skills are better than B's, and both are just as determined to win, then A is still more likely to win.

4. When A's skills are better than B's, and A is not as determined to win, then perhaps both are just as likely to win.

5. When A's skills are not better than B's, and A is more determined to win, then again perhaps both are just as likely to win.

6. When A's skills are not better than B's, and both are just as determined to win, then B is more likely to win.

7. When A's skills are not better than B's, and A is not as determined to win, then B is most likely to win.

So if we were to bring in other factors considered as important for a player to become a champion, then we could see that we will need a very long list (of scenarios) to study all the different likely outcomes.

Cheers... chris@ccc

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Thanks for taking out the dictionary and all.
    High strung = "Tending to be very nervous and easily excited"????

Ok, please find below my reply to you which you find "agressive" ;) and caused you to react sarcastically:

Is life ever fair????

Lets look at the Malaysian Open for example, have we not had Malaysian linesman or umpires officiating when our shuttlers are playing??

But put that all aside, lets look at yesterday's game. Do you not agree that BCL was top rate?

Winning and losing, it is all part and parcel of the game. A true champion is one who is gracious in defeat and humble in victory. And LCW has a long way to go to learn this noble trait.

Now, which part of my statement above is "agressive"???
    Is the above statement 'high-strung'?
    Please also point out to me which part is the 'tending to be very nervous and easily excited'?
    And lastly, which part of my statement caused you to respond in a sarcastic manner??

... and why limit it to badminton only? It is the same for tennis, squash and maybe table tennis as well.

;)

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Believe the boy can hold a discussion on his own.
    But since you joined in, I find your statement about Malaysian players having a lot of pressure most interesting. Well, care to tell me what kind of pressure??

Hmmm ... I look at Hafiz and I sure see he has a lot of pressure. I mean the boy gets consistently beaten in the early rounds every time ... and yet BAM is still keeping him. Lots of pressure for him, eh? :rolleyes:

I wonder if Hafiz is playing for China instead of Msia, would Li Yongbo keep him??

17. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    Give the boy a little break, maybe more than a little break ..... We saw, he did dig down and gave us a better show at CO. Let's see if he keeps up at HK Open then we can determine. If he does well, time will be needed for him to progress and ultimately becoming a first class player again. He knows how to play the game and has bundance of abilities. Just that the mentality of taking the easy way and complacent have led to his down fall. Don't cut the chord yet, he needs this chance .... more than ever before !!!!

18. jesminekia

jesminekia Regular Member

can i have meow chu's friendster?After watched her matches in CO....me really wish to know her more....she make us proud!!!!!!

19. fishyjojo

fishyjojo Regular Member

pemuda, didn't i apologize to you for saying you were agressive?

i've said it two times already, that the principle i hold i believe should be applied to various sports! sheesh! i love volleyball and tennis too, and i do insist that these disciplines use such officiating.

do some re-reading to understand the flow of what's going on and what i've been saying, bud.

20. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Guys, the more u guys write, the more confused I get. Why don't u guys just stop here and enjoy the great badminton?