SS Final : Cancelled? (was: Where will be the final's venue?)

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2007' started by kevinboy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. fook1125

fook1125 Regular Member

It's in Alor Setar,but 18-22 Dec is Super Series Final but 20 Dec is Hari Haji Ceremony,they wanna to adjust i think.

2. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

In Alor Star,now that will be fantastic.With Jati,Magnum,Excel Gano and other Kedah based big corporations chipping in, the SS finals in Alor Star may just be true.Most importantly the Kedah Badminton Association is efficient enough to host it.

3. jeremyjuve

jeremyjuve Regular Member

Got this from the BWF website...hope it helps

PRESS RELEASE

Super Series Masters Finals

20 November 2007

THIS week's China Masters and next week's Yonex-Sunrise Hong Kong Open will bring to an end a successful inaugural year of the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) Super Series circuit.

[FONT=Arial,]Anne Smillie, BWF executive board member and new chair of the Federation's Events Committee, said today: "In December 2006, BWF contracted SMP to finance, organise and stage these finals and provide US$500,000 in prizemoney. The contractual responsibility lies with the company.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]"BWF had been advised that the Finals were planned for December 18-23 in Qatar but SMP have now advised a switch of date and venue is now necessary.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]"SMP have advised that the anticipated sponsorship from Qatar, which would have underpinned the Masters, has not been achieved and ALOR STAR, KEDAH, MALAYSIA has been put forward as an alternative venue. But the proposed new dates of December 18-22 will not be possible because Malaysia's religious ceremony of Hari Raya Haji falls on December 20.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]"In fairness to players, officials, and most of all the thousands of spectators who support our great game worldwide, BWF are in close and urgent discussions with SMP to resolve this situation but the contract places the responsibility for the event with SMP," said Anne Smillie.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Datuk Punch Gunalan, Executive Deputy President of BWF, reinforced Smillie's comments when he said: "We are delighted with the success of the first 10 tournaments in this new 12-event circuit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]"Naturally BWF is aware of the frustration of our Member Associations regarding the Super Series Masters Final. We would like to stress that we are working hard to ensure the tournament proceeds and that all the players who qualify for the Masters have adequate time to prepare.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]"We want it to be the big success it deserves, with big crowds, worldwide TV coverage and great badminton."[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]Over the next few days BWF will be working hard to resolve the situation and will make an annoucement as soon as possible. BWF has been in constant contact with SMP to resolve the situation. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,][FONT=Arial,]BWF Super Series II begins on January 15 with the Malaysia Open in Kuala Lumpur followed by the Korean Open on January 22.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

So final decision about the venue still needs discussion time, BWF reputation really finds hard test now to prove no cancellation for this inaugural SS Final...

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Sorry ants, this time I have a different opinion. I think it is the totally BWF's fault. They are responsible to all the BWF members [PBSI, BAM, etc.] when they promise they will have a Super Series finals. If they cannot secure this, then better not promise it at all in the first place. If BWF does not have a plan B, that is also totally BWF's fault.

If BWF have chosen an organizer but the organizer messed up / cheat them, then it is tempting to blame the choice of organizer. But, who made that choice in the first place? Oh, BWF... :mad: So, of course BWF are to blame. It is obvious.

The only acceptable excuse BWF can have for not having a Super Series finals now is if the chosen venue got bombed [like Hyderabad for India Open a few months ago]. That is very acceptable... That is not BWF's fault. We can purely blame the terrorist for that... ;)

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

You have a point there. Well this is not the the first time and also there is alot of delay.. typical. I do agree with you that BWF should take responsibility on the delay and also lack of Initiative or back up plan. However some people who is behind BWF is also have some interconnection with the Organisers as well as there is alot of miscommunications. Its like everyone is doing the same thing and no one decides on it. Sometimes i do also wonder that how can an organisation like this works like a new company. I would say its about communication and lack of leadership. This is not only hapens in BWF. But in many BIG Companies and Corporations. Looks good on the outside.. Mess on the inside.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh no..

..ants, don't tell me it has some effect from the lingering "big" issue that surfaced a few months back..hopefully not..:confused::p:(

8. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    we all know that Kang and Punch are not getting alonge...this is not secret anymore since it was reported wide open.....I hope they solve this problem for the sake of badminton........

9. Shuttlekok

Shuttlekok Regular Member

Get Singapore to do it loh... always waiting for the chance to prove
    themselves good one mah!

ASEAN summit, gunning for youth olymoics, F1... so if they can prove that
    they can put up a good show with so little time, surely will gain others
    respect one loh...

Right?

10. jeremyjuve

jeremyjuve Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Thursday November 22, 2007

Venue for Super Series finale in limbo

SINGAPORE: The finale to the world badminton's flagship Super Series has been thrown into chaos after hosts Qatar failed to live up to their obligations and second choice Malaysia were ruled out as an alternative.
    This week's China Masters and next week's Hong Kong Open will bring to an end a successful inaugural year for the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) Super Series circuit.
    It is due to culminate in the Masters Final scheduled for Dec 18-23 but Qatar failed to get enough sponsorship to underpin the event. And Alor Star has also been ruled out as the dates clash with Hari Raya Haji. Anne Smille, who chairs the BWF's events committee, said that the federation remained in “close and urgent” discussions with Qatar to try to resolve the problems. The BWF executive deputy president, Punch Gunalan, added: “We are aware of the frustration of our member associations regarding the Masters Final. We would like to stress that we are working hard to ensure the tournament proceeds and that all the players who qualify have adequate time to prepare.” – AFP

*FAINT* :confused::crying:

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think WBF is more than happy if there's sponsor from Singapore, I just think is too late to find sponsor in such a short notice.

12. jump_smashing

jump_smashing Regular Member

oh my gosh.... still TBD

we hope they would find the final decision soon ... better before xmas holiday :p

I think China should be a good candidate, can find a lot of big sponsors there.
    But China Open , Hongkong Open , Super Series Final in China again ?

13. chenchoiyenn

chenchoiyenn Regular Member

Student
    when i saw that alor setar was the second choice, but WAS RULED OUT, i was like, "argh!! so close yet so far!! why HARI RAYA HAJI on that day?!!"

hahaha. i hope they postpone the date or make it earlier so that it WILL BE in kedah. it seems that QATAR failed cos of lack of sponsorship, but never mentioned that kedah doesn't have enough sponsor..

cross my fingers!!!

14. Noridayu

Noridayu Regular Member

Childcare Teacher
    To Han

Dear Han,

If Singapore is chosen to be the host, it will be a good news for me as it is my country and I will able to catch the match live and supports me favourite Malaysia team.

Ayu

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

juz now the commentator on rtm 1 says that the ss final will be at doha and on january 2008..!!
    wat the.....
    i hope he get the wrong news..

16. chity hour

chity hour Regular Member

i heard it too
    they postpone it to january coz the date clash with aidiladha n xmas :eek:
    (doha will be great, now that we have such a good memory there) ;):cool:;)

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    no sate feast.............:cool:

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

can wait for Malaysia Open 2008 mah:cool:

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Now i heard from the organisers that the ORIGINAL Plan for SuperSeries final which will be in DOHA might push thru. But it will be in January.

20. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Now, with the China team officially pulls out from the SS finals. It doesn't matter where will be the venue of it..
    Not many fans will be interested on it