Misbun gives Hafiz two more chances

Discussion in 'Vietnam Open / China Open (2) 2007' started by alfa-2, Nov 10, 2007.

1. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    Misbun gives Hafiz two more chances (http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/11/11/sports/19443265&sec=sports)

PETALING JAYA: National coach Misbun Sidek will not crack the whip despite Mohd Hafiz Hashim's string of poor performances this year.
    Misbun's change of heart means Mohd Hafiz will get to play in both the back-to-back Super Series in China (Nov 20-25) and Hong Kong (Nov 27-Dec 2) this month. And Misbun has set a modest target for world number 19 Hafiz to reach the quarter-finals in both the championships.
    “I'll give him two more chances in his bid to qualify for next year's Beijing Olympic Games,” said Misbun.
    “I still think that he is in with a chance to qualify for the Olympics after assessing his performances so far,” said Misbun.
    Except for a semi-final finish at the Korean Open in February, Hafiz crashed out in the early rounds of the other tournaments this year.
    Last week, Misbun ran out of patience when Hafiz lost to Hong Kong's Chan Yan Kit in the French Open and thought of grounding him.
    “I have changed my mind. The China and Hong Kong Opens are the last two chances for Hafiz to justify the good faith I have in him. I will be satisfied with a top eight finish.”
    Misbun said that he had been too hard on Hafiz.
    “He does well in training but struggles in international tournaments. He is trying ... I understand his predicament. I just have to be more patient,” said Misbun.
    “It is not easy to stabilise - to get back where he was (referring to Hafiz's feat of winning the 2003 All-England title) especially after coming out of a series of knee injuries. He works hard and has even lost some fat on his waistline.
    He has also contributed to the rise of team-mate Lee Chong Wei through quality sparring sessions. We are working as a team. For now, I will motivate Hafiz to come out of this,” he added.
    Hafiz has a tough job to live up to Misbun's faith in him in the China Open.
    He is likely to meet either top seed Lin Dan of China or South Korean Park Sung-hwan for a place in the quarter-finals.
    The draw for the Hong Kong Open will be released on Tuesday.

2. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    "has even lost some fat on his waistline"

that is so embarrassing........for a national player who is supposed to be training hard, shouldnt be having those loose tires at the waist.

mr. yoyo ah mr. yoyo, your only contribution now is as a sparring partner for lcw only lah............

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

At least he is still useful for a moment of time :eek:.......... indeed,...MAS team is lacking of training partners.......good for the team..:D:D

4. markchan

markchan Regular Member

He has also contributed to the rise of team-mate Lee Chong Wei through quality sparring sessions.

If anything, I think LCW has contributed the quality sparring sessions for Mr.Yoyo as the weaker player would gain by sparring with a stronger one.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    giving the fine form of lcw, i would say hafiz is an excellent A1... sparring partner:D:p

6. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    Hafiz's second round's opponent will be LD.

7. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    yeah, make him lose that loose fat of his............:D:D:D

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think Misbun meant 2 more chances for this year. Next year the counter reset and Hafiz will have 15 chances more? As a coach, if you really want to mean what you say then you better do it. Misbun need to take lesson from Rexy in this department.
    Misbun should not give any more excuses to Hafiz, move on to other potential candidate and let Hafiz think hard about his future as professional.

9. USAfan

USAfan Regular Member

NewsMedia
    Can't compare Misbun to Rexy, different styles of coaching. Also, Rexy can be more selective due to many prospects in his MD pool. Misbun is more patient and probably Hafiz is a Nusa player. BAM coaching panels need to evaluate the situation and make the ultimatum decision, in or out !

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Misbun show too much mercy to Hafiz...
    thats why Hafiz always think" never mind lah"
    the country still need me...

11. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

This remain a fact as he is still among the top players in the country after LCW

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Sure, that might have been the case but I think it is changing because the money has not been coming in enough to be happy. So the extra effort is now being put in to get going.

13. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    maybe different players have to be guided differently as each player responds differently. some cannot take harsh punishment because then they will feel not good enough. others need harsh punishment because that way they will be fired up to do better. dont know what kind of guidance hafiz needs and this is not an excuse for his poor showing of late. LCW seems to fight back all the time. hafiz seems suspended in vacuum. i am still hoping for the comeback of the player who won the all england even though so far hafiz have not shown even a sliver of hope of getting back to that high point in his badminton playing life. but i think there should be a limit. misbun should groom new players that would have potential to do well in the future. though i am not saying give up on hafiz totally. yeah, i know, i am a complicated person of many many conflict of interests. it is just sad that hafiz just fade away like this. :(

14. danielwong

Salesman

to be fair to him...
    whole malaysia gave him chance...
    i trust those bashing him, majority msian is sad
    with his performance....too much disappointment....

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If according to world rankings, he's dropping. WCH, now back from his injury is already ahead. There's also Lee TS, Roslin, Yeoh Kay Bin. Not all 4 have better performance but they show better fighting spirit. Then there're the juniors - Tan CS, Chan KB. All are vying for a place in senior squad.

Of course, Hafiz being a club player(Nusa Mahsuri), BAM can't really pressure him as hard. As least he should show more determination like his bro Roslin, or LeeTS, both also club players.

Of late, can be observed Misbun is also frustrated... maybe it's time for Hafiz to be grounded.

16. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    y0 y0 y0

Until some msian can topple him, he is still officially and unofficially the 2nd best msia player at the moment. He definitely deserve more time not because he is Malay or he won AE before but because beside him there is no one in Msia is close to LCW standard.

Giving him more time also means giving the country more time… If he retire or being kick out of the country squad it will really take sometime for others to fill the his space.

Althought, we got seniors like Yeoh, Lee TS & Roslin, they are no where near HH standard. We got young players like Chuen Seng & etc but they still lack behind a lot to HH.

We not only give HH more time, we are giving our nation more time to develop our young players.

HH has to take all those attention+pressure so that our younger player can grow comfortably.
    Just my 2cents :)

#16 s1nn3r, Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  17. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    take all his money and make him bankrupt. then he will fight again like in AE 2003.:D:D:D

18. danielwong

Salesman

he joined police force still can get paycheck every month :D:D:D

19. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Mr.Yoyo will face Super Dan in the first round of China Master (II) and Misbun should be happy if Yoyo could steal a set from the game, which I think "IMPOSSIBLE". So, Yoyo only left with one chance (HK Open) instead of two. Lets see if Yoyo will be grounded if Misbun keeps his promise. We'll see :rolleyes::cool:

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Are our younger players hungry enough to topple Hafiz Hashim ?

Agree... It is now up to our younger players to be hungry enough to topple HH. :):):)

If they can't topple HH, then we can't blame Misbun for giving HH more chances.