Obnoxious ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Paritos, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

why? because of his racket? (at500 hit's bombshells if you ask me, in 3U definatly)
    or strings?

I'm getting the idea you give way to much credit to your equipment...

Just one last question:
    Did you start this thread to ask a question, or to seek confirmation of your already made up mind?
    (look up a "confirmation bias")

2. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I'm getting the idea you give way to much credit to your equipment..[/QUOTE]

This is probably the most sensible sentance in this thread. All the talk on websites about rackets in the main is BS. A marketing man's dream are these people that actually think that if they buy this or that racket, head heavy, flexable shaft blah blah blah that it is going to make their weak smash into a strong one. Or the talk about buying a racket for control, if you haven't got good control beforehand a new racket isn't going to change that.

Most pros only use a certain racket because they are sponsored by the manufacturers, it's usually just what feels right or what you get used to. I believe that the string tension is more important than anything else. As I've said before, Lin Dan could play with a frying pan and he will still beat most of us.
    Don't get hung up on the manufactures sales BS.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Yeah!

For your unabashed plainspeak, I'm beginning to like you a lot :rolleyes:

I bet you will soon see a great many posts analysing whether this could be true. Be prepared for extreme physics, trajectory diagrams and other assorted mumbo-jumbo :D

4. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

While I agree that most racquets do not make a player better or worse. If you play with a racquet, you will at best notice a marginal gain in performance. THAT SAID...

I do believe there is a difference of performance when comparing racquet weight. I did a drill with a MP 99 and a superlight Black Knight Photon. We did a half court, half smash drill, where the coach basically hit them up as fast as she could. After the 3rd time I went, and I switched my racquet to the superlight, and I noticed a major difference, though that was more to a endurance factor.

Back on topic...

Give your partner a while to get used to the racquet. It took me 3 months to get used to my MP99 when I first used it, so give it some time. And if you are judging you partner this severely, you should really look for another partner.

5. punchclear

punchclear Regular Member

Hi Paritos, just out of curiosity, have you & your partner spoken on the matter? I'm just wondering, because my partner & I constantly talk about our choice of equipment (shoes, rackets, strings, grips, etc). We don't all like the same stuff for a multitude of reasons. maybe he has his reasons/opinions for the choice he made. So far, you've only garnered everybody else's....
    You guys haven't split as a pair, so I'm assuming that you're sticking this one out... Lend a listening ear. Partners listen to each other & TALK & work things out...
    My partner gives me all the encouragement & support in the world when my game is off. Maybe you should try to do the same for yours?
    Give it a try. I don't think it'll hurt too bad.
    Good luck & I hope you iron this out...

6. the left-hander

the left-hander Regular Member

Licensed Agricultural Engineer
    Yes Paritos, it is true that you have the right to express your questions and opinions. But the reason why many people react against your post is because the choice of your words gives your message a very negative tone. And the way you react against posts that don't go your way makes us have the impression that you're ready to pick up a fight and needs to chill.

When you post questions, especially in a negative tone, be ready for answers that don't go your way. Just take note of the answers you like, and disregard those you don't like.

Answering your question that started it all, No, it is not obnoxious for your partner to choose the racket and string and tension that he has now.:eek: Too many cannot be all wrong in saying that it is your partner's prerogative to choose the racket that he wants. :)You could only go as far as suggesting things to him, delivered in a nice manner. If your partner doesn't take your suggestion about his racket, then it's ok.:) Focus on your play as partners instead. People cannot be all wrong in saying also that it is the player who makes the primary success in the execution of their strokes, drop, drive, smash, netshot, etc. The help of the state-of-the-art features of their rackets and strings in the executions of the strokes are only secondary.;) Just focus on your own things, tactics, techniques and share (not impose) it to your partner. Also, if your partner lacks a li'l bit of physical strength, try not to be hard on him.:p It's already demoralising to know for himself that he lacks strength, more so if someone explicitly say it to him. Just give him constructive criticisms and encouragements. Or if you want, you can just look for a new partner. But also, look first into your game before into others'.:):):)

7. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    the left-hander - Very well put.

I think that Paritos made a mistake using the word "obnoxious", such that a number of people here (including me) thought that it was his post rather than his partner that was being obnoxious! Perhaps he didn't mean to come across quite so strong - its easy for posts / emails etc. to lose some of their meaning, and he's young too (according to his profile) so could be prone to a bit of exaggeration:)).