What got you into badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by brady6, Apr 20, 2007.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    i started a year ago (20 yrs old) just as something else to do in the leisure centre. Then my friend & i got invited to play doubles with a pair who had played for years but never had any1 else to play with. I was hooked. Our small group has grown from the 4 of us to about 6 - 10 or us every wednesday nite. I love it and i play other nites too. When the season starts over here in Northern Ireland, UK, i will be playing 3 - 4 nites a week. Brilliant!!

Wish i had found the sport earlier thou! :crying:

2. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    As my option from going to the gym for exercise.

3. Qu3sT10nMaRk

Qu3sT10nMaRk Regular Member

Oh me next xD i started playing in grade 7 in gym so yea... wahtever ... i just went to the after skoll thing cuz a girl i like waz there xD then solong so fourth i just started playing xD

HIghlight to see under .... PG WARNIGN
    (sorry to disappoint you... but the moderator was here - and he cut out this weird part of the post)

#43 Qu3sT10nMaRk, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2008
  4. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

I started to play because I thought badminton was easy and since I used to be an asthmatic little overweighted kid, it was the good pick to be in a sport team.
    After two years of fooling around, I finally understood what badminton was really about and decided to kick as much ass as possible from the on. :)
    Now, no asthma and no extra stomach. I am about to reach national level (well, national in Canada... which is like recreational in China :) ) and I play mixed double with my girlfriend.

BADMINTON FOR LIFE!!!

5. Xinguy

Xinguy Regular Member

Part Time Club Player...
    When i was young around 14yrs old i felt that i was not good in my studies or anything so i told myself i decided to take up something where i can make it, So i tried out all the sport 1 by 1 but all couldn't make it:mad: so the last 1 was badminton since i started to train day 1 as a beginner till 9 months later & i really love it & hey i just felt i cant do anything w/o playing badminton:D it like b'come part of my life. I begin to train in chinese swimming club from 10am till 10pm keep training & keep playing games, so 9 months later i got my 1st doubles champs:) & that is really from there it tell me if u wan it u can make it & so than i've been so active in badminton i play almost every single day hehe:D& now i really have the dream & hope to b part of team singapore but i just dun have the chance haiz sad:crying:

6. MadBadFan

MadBadFan New Member

Xinquy, your own story is telling you that if you are determined on something, you can be good at it. Just need some hard work and determination. Now, put some of those energy on your studies also. You can do it. I am not saying to give up you badminton dream. I am saying you can do more than just badminton. Good luck!

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

When I was 6, a bully got me into a school badminton club. I hated this sport back then because I couldnt play well at all, but now it's all good. :D

8. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

started hitting the shuttle around 7 with a bunch of neighbourhood friends, during that time it was either kicking around a plastic ball in the park, hide and seek or badminton with like 5-6 friends on each sides lol

still remember my 1st racket was a yonex blacken sp

9. AGRogers

AGRogers Regular Member

Coach & irrelevant day job
    Here's one that doesn't involve girls!

My family went to a school fair at which my brother won a prize at the coconut shy (sp?!?) from this he got an invite to the local junior badminton club and was told to invite along any brothers and sisters he might have.

So, I was fourteen when I started playing. By the middle of that season they asked me to help out in the adult teams (tbh more a reflection on the standard of the club at the time than my abilities) and the rest as they say is history...

Strangely though, it was purely because of the promise that my brother, sister and I showed that my father was allowed to join (he probably wouldn't have made the cut without us!) and here we are, 15 years on, both coaching for the junior sessions and forming a large part of the committee... And that's without the Performance Centre we're working towards setting up in the area ;)

How different things could have been!

10. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    My mate & I were in the gym playing squash & going to the health suite, we seen that badminton could be playd so we thought we would have a go, we just hit the ting back and fourth as high & as hard as we could. I do archery 2 n & I gt talking to a friend who playd badminton & he had a partner so we decided to have a doubles match. The obsession began from there.

Been playin 1 & half yrs, playin in 2 leagues, playin very wel & always improving, hope to up my grade by the end of next season. Would love to play at county level if not international level but taking it 1 step at a time.

Going to train hard over sumer time on my fitness & strength & work on my badminton skills 2, mite go 2 a few workshops to improve my game further.

11. butch

butch Regular Member

I was always a sports buff. Basketball is one of my passion back then. Playing in the minor league until age comes up with me. Playing with the younger generation has become so frustrating than challenging since its a physical game. I shifted to the ovals and tried running. I was able to developed the stamina to run for an hour non-stop. It was one of our departmental sportsfest that i was asked to be partner in a badminton match since his usual partner wasnt able to report that day. Well, i guess its an easy game, i thought, so i obliged. Guess what?.....the bird is all over me. We lose the match that my partner didnt even sweat. Its not easy after all but i find it exciting. Well that was 5 years ago. Now, i have numerous medals to brag about the game and so in love with the game. I now have two kids playing for their school and badminton has become a family affair. I play at levels D and C depending on the partner. Thats my story bout the game...

12. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    Hmm,

I think it started with a friend of mine and I always going down to open gyms att vacation at a sports center close to us. We played lots of sports, like ping-pong, floorball, basketball, soccer, jiu-jutsu, wall-climbing, badminton, tennis and so on... His brother practiced badminton at the time, and soon my friend to.. So once I followed my friend there and practiced for real for once and I got stuck. ^^

Since then I've hade some injuries, thoughj all the major ones i've hade, has com due to everything BUT badminton... I hurt the ligaments in my foot on a trampolin, had to have surgery on my playing thumb and so on.

I started playing more competative about a year ago, when I found a rival to play against, a girl actually. After i'd finally beaten her, she moved quite shortly after. But then i was already too into it to stop. I found new rivals, new goals. But then, as I said, I hurt my foot, and it havent been completely well until about two months ago. So now im practicing like mad. :)

//

13. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Started to play around when I was... Forgot what age it was xD Then started to take lessons when my mom's friend introduced me to a club.

14. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

Originaly started cuz I loved it.

Dropped because didn't know where I could play.

Picked it up again because of friends.

Dropped cuz didn't have much fun playing sucky badminton

Picked up again cuz found a good friend.

Dropped cuz of exams.

Picked up again for revenge.

Dropped cuz of exams.

Picked up again for no apparent reason.

Fell in love with it becuz of ArcSaber.

15. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    wow! :eek: glad you are back though. badminton lovers can't seem to stay away for too long eh? :D

16. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    I started when I was like 8 in my garden. Then I stopped because the net nearly strangled my little sister :eek: ( she was like 4 ). Then I started back up again because my twin brother started a badminton club on friday nights so I went along the week after. I really enjoyed it and looked for places to play almost every day. Then we started going to training and now we play almost every night. The school doesn't have a team but they have a football (soccer) team. We have asked but they don't seem interested :(

17. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    When I was a kid we played badminton on the street with my friends. Years have passed my friends invited me to play along in a real badminton court. At first I declined because I was into basketball but eventually I gave in was hooked ever since. I bought a Yonex Ti5 during that time which was expensive. The rationale for buying the racket was to force myself to learn and improve. Up to this day I am very happy for what I did before.:)

18. supreme86

supreme86 Regular Member

undergraduate :)
    I had gone through 3 stages of motivations.

First as a kid I didn't play ANY sports since my parents didn't let me go out while their at work (which is almost the whole day). At the age of 11 one day my dad (which rarely excercised) decided to go play badminton with me in the park near where I lived in Hong Kong. I still remember we had the wooden racquets, but we used the steel ones. Turns out I picked up the sport pretty good on the first day of playing, first compliment ever received from my dad. Some confidence built up there and we played in school for a few days as well. My junior life of badminton ended there, lasted for 1 year.

After my family moved to Canada I joined the badminton team in high school in grade 9. Tried joining the team in the consecutive year but failed. Never really played competitive because nobody ever showed me what real badminton was.

It was until my freshman year in university, where I saw some advanced players in my club playing, youtube videos, then i realized what baddy really is. As a result I learned all the strokes and footwork myself from all sources and I say I improved a lot since first year. I had gotten serious in games and learning in the same time, having proper racquets and equipments all the time, never missing any chance of playing even during exams! I'm graduating next yr and still hope i can find a place somewhere to play regularly. Generally, what kept my playing badminton is its speed. A few year ago I thought those smashes and jump smashes were really attention grabbers (im an attention whore) but now I focus on practicing techniques since they are what determine the real skills inside you.

19. phucali

phucali New Member

Student
    Got a pair of cheap racquet since i was 8.........start playing around with birdie by myself:p.........later on i joined the school team........have been playing for 6 years already.........love it and just can't get enough of it........:D

20. Kobold

Kobold New Member

University student
    A friend in highschool played badminton. One day we were walking around after school and he said he had to leave because he had an away game at another school. I wanted to go to but he said the only way was to be on the team. Next day I started playing. That's about 6 years ago.