wrist problem and choice of racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JonYKN, Oct 19, 2007.

1. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

hi everyone :D i just needed some advice about which racquet i should use. A few months i pulled something in my wrist and now, whenever i use my wrist for shots (flicks, clears, lifts, and most importantly smashes) i get a sharp pain . I want to continue playing and dont want to quit so im just wondering which racquet i should use? I currently have Ti-10, MP99, MP28, AT500, ISO75, powerblade S-lite and ns7k. any help will be appreciated :eek:

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The problem has less to do with your racquet than with your technique. :)
    You'll find a lot of material in the forum's Techniques section.

3. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

The first thing that you should do is to get a doctor to have a look at your wrist first. No racket will help you this time.

4. JianKaiSG

JianKaiSG Regular Member

Student
    best thing to do now is stop playing for awhile for your wrist to recover ... and on the meantime have a check with some coach if it is your technique at fault or is it an over-exertion ... wearing a wrist band after your recovery and if you must play, try to use more of arm and not wrist power ...

5. doublewings

doublewings Regular Member

what you really need is a doctor and most probably complete rest for at least 2 mths. for me it's a total of 14 weeks ...

6. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

lol alright, ive already seen the doctor, and its just over exertion, it was because i did some heavy lifting a few months back and strained my wrist.

7. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Exactly, complete rest is the key. If you keep on playing, non of the rackets can help.

Oh, by the way, using the computer mouse for too long doesn't help a lot.....

8. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

='( lol kinda sad but guess ill take a short break from badminton...i just hope it gets better before badminton season xD

9. Upquark

Upquark Regular Member

Java developer
    Get well soon! :)

10. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    If u really insist on playing, wear a wrist brace( but may be too stiff) or jsut use a wrist band. use a racket that is head heavy since it would require more arm than wrist. I was just in the same situation as you and i just played with a wrist band on. Try it out cuz it worked for me =] If the hurting persists, stop playing for a while!

11. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

hmm, i like that alternative more than giving up the sport xD
    by wrist band, do you mean the flexible, soft ones or like a hard wrist brace type of thing? btw thanks for the suggestions guys ^^

12. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Ohh los. what i mean is use a sweat band..using a wrist brace would help the most but restricts wrist movement. Everyday jsut take a 5 pound dumbell or jsut a can of something and just hold it in your hand and basically 'exercise" your wrist in all directions. Do it until you get tired then get some ice and put it on your wrist. Do this for abt 15 min 3 times a day. perferbly once before you play, one after you play and one any time during the day. I hope this helps, but it definitaely helped me alot.

13. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

lol thanks alot for the info =)
    ill start playing with the wrist band next week, hopefully ill also be able to stop myself from smashing xD maybe ill take this time to improve my drop shots too ^^ heheh

14. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Go for a chinese traditional massage..i used to have that kind of problem as well.It took me about a month,but with the playing still go on,twice a week.
    If somehow u really wanna play,play with lighter racket,and dont just count on ur wrist work.Use the arm power as well.

Wrist band,like LP,..not too tight,not too loose,will help abit..

#14 Smichz, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  15. wakloo69

wakloo69 Regular Member

librarian
    Get rest first and then try to find a head light racket which i think suit n safe for your wrist.

16. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

actually, Benny's idea of the wrist band really works, i wore it to a few sessions, still using my Ti10 and i dont get the pain afterwards =) I think wearing he wrist band actually improved my smash lol =P

17. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    LOLs dont forget to ice it though, it will help it heal much faster! And wearing the wrist band imporved my smash as well cuz i flex my wrist TOO much so having the wrist band kind of limits my flex if you know what i mean =/ anywyas hope your wrist heals soon!

18. JonYKN

JonYKN Regular Member

=) thanks, im really glad i didnt have to stop playing badminton or pc games lol