K-W OKTOBerfest TOURNAMENT

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by hunkajunk69, Oct 8, 2007.

1. hunkajunk69

hunkajunk69 Regular Member

Im new to tournaments, how does the above tourney work? It mentions I have to have some club card. I play at George Brown am I eligible?

Also it mentions A-D flights. Do you choose which one you want or is it based on how you do in your first few matches?

Basically Im looking for a noobie tournament guide. Also a backhand dropshot but we will discuss that later.

2. staples

staples Regular Member

For ABCD flights, the level you end up in depends on your first few matches. This should be a stronger tournament but it shouldn't stop you from joining. :)

Your club may be a member of the Ontario Badminton Association but you have to be a member yourself as well. Just visit their site for more info.
    http://www.ontariobadminton.on.ca/

3. hunkajunk69

Thanks.

What would you define as a "stronger tournament". Will there be Ontario A players there?? Im probably a mid C player at best and would be more than a little hesitant to play an A player.

Still the idea sounds like fun.

4. staples

staples Regular Member

I'm sure you'll enjoy the tournament. If you face an A player you'll just drop down a flight or two. Who knows maybe you can cause an upset! haha
    Give it a go!

5. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Here's how it works. Everyone starts at A flight. If you win your first match, you move onto 2nd round. If you lose your first match, you'll automatically drop down to C flight.

If you win your first match, then win again, you'll stay in A flight for the reminder of the tournament. If you lose after this point, you're out.

If you win your first match, then lose your 2nd match, you'll drop down to B flight. Any more loses after this point and you're out.

If you lost your first match, and win your 2nd match, you'll stay in C flight. Any more loses after this point results in going home.

If you lose both your first and second matches, you'll drop to D flight. Any more losses at this point and you'll be taking a shower and going home.

KW Octoberfest is home to quite a few Ontario A players...and normally a very strong tournament. There isn't a tournament exclusive for lower level players except the Ontario Provincials (A, B, C or D players). You could also play in the Black Knight series of college tournaments where most A players would not participate in...for example, the Georgian Bay Barrie tournament is limited to B players and under only.

6. hunkajunk69

This tournament must go on late! If it the singles start at 6 pm, and the first few game determine flight, I cant imagine how many games one would have to play to win. Problem is I've got 4 good matches in me before I move slower than my prudish high school girlfriend. O well still could be fun.

7. hunkajunk69

Wow great explaination! Thanks. I just wish every time you loose a game it didnt finish of with me hitting the showers. What can I say, I think I might try it and see if I get spanked.

8. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    you're at least a high C or low B level singles player hunkajunk!!! I'll explain the OBA member card details to you when i see you at GB tonight. Remember (ernest and glendon are considered A level players) and you can give them a good challenge. your style of play should definately cause a few upsets!!

I'll be going there with Ken and Gary to play doubles (not singles). We might be going to the Barrie tournament as well (Nov 2-4)...

9. hunkajunk69

That does sound interesting I admit. Earnest beats me but man I can feel it. If there are more games like that at these tourneys I would love it. Worst case scenerio I get a good sweat. Im gonna ask if I can get the day off and register. Wtf.

10. bigharry

bigharry Regular Member

Go for it!!! At the very least you will challenge yourself and hopefully learn something..

11. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Singles typically run until the finals for Friday nite and time could be well into Saturday morning, depending on the size of the draw. They typically save the finals for Saturday afternoon after the doubles play.

I don't think either one of the two players (Glendon & Ernest) are considered Ontario A players..I know Glendon used to be an Ontario A, but that was mainly due to his doubles/mixed play that scored him that rank. I have seen both Glendon and Ernest player, and while both are impressive, they would only be considered as B level singles players. They both play a very laid back, defensive, rally till you drop style which will not work against strong A level players (ie. Hunter brothers, Mike Beres, Brian Tjoa, Kokkee Chen etc).

12. hunkajunk69

Would any of the names you listed be at this tournement in singles? THAT would be unpleasant.

(ie. Hunter brothers, Mike Beres, Brian Tjoa, Kokkee Chen etc).

13. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

I'm pretty sure that Mike Beres and one of the Hunters will play there. I believe that Charles Pyne will also be there too seeing as that's their home club that they play out of. It's hard to say, but the KW is normally one of the strongest tournaments out there with exception to the Ontario A's.

14. shosan88

shosan88 Regular Member

its not that hard of tourny if your as good as wukenne!!! you rule chen hong!!

15. hunkajunk69

I dont know if other players were reading this post wondering if they should go to more tournements so I decided I would write how it went. I admittedly am more than happy with my results.

Firstly the tournement was a huge amount of fun and it was not a stressful environment at all. There really was a broad range of players, from VERY high to descent club players.

I was nervous going in as I was scared I would play a high seeded player. I did. The number one seed Charles Pyne.:cool: I actually ended up winning my first match before running into him. The good news is he was a perfect gentlemen who didnt try to beat the bird down my throat. Him simply got EVERYTHING back and walked over me 21-7, 21-5. A great experience. Wikenne was right, A players really are a step above. I have never played someone whos court coverage was so strong and he wasnt even trying to attack. I remember I moved him tight to his backhand, he hit a crosscourt drop. I got to it and dribbled it over the net, he got to it but returned it a little high so I kind of brushed it back low and flat BACK to the backhand side. Half a second later he got to that shot and fired it backhand down the line for a winner. I knew if I didnt win that point I wasnt winning anything! Good times.

The great news is I actually made it to the B flights finals where I lost. I never expected to get to the finals so I am thrilled.

The biggest lesson I learned is stamina. After Charles was done working on his footwork with me I was flat our tired. 2 matches after that I was feeling sick I was so over worked. After the finals was done I was wanting to throw up. The car ride home my wish came true.....twice.

To have a shot at winning any of the flights you have to be in good shape. Really good shape. Bottom line is I loved the tournament and will have absolutely no reservations about going again. It you play an A player its not the end of the world and you learn lessons in the process. Charles Im coming for you. <-------Insert sarcasm here.

Hunk of Junk.

16. bigharry

bigharry Regular Member

Good job on your results..

A few points I think you can take forward with you:

-Not many people are willing to play themselves to the point of being sick and it shows you put 100% into the game

-Fitness is a huge part in the game

-Working on your footwork and technique will help you to move more efficiently and make higher quality shots (all the way to the baseline, etc)

Good luck in the future

17. wukenne

wukenne Regular Member

Hahaha, good times Hund of Junk, at least I warned you about playing A players. The good news is that other tournaments would not feature that many A players as the K-W tournament, so it will only go easier from here on.

For singles, stamina is definitely a major factor. You must play 3-4 games in a matter of hours...and it's tournament style games not club games. Just because you can play 3-4 matches in a club style does not equate to the same in a tournament where everyone brings their A game. This is something that you will learn as you go along. Anyways, good luck in the future and feel free to ask me any questions on the other tournaments as I've pretty much played them all (I was the most actively player a few years ago where OBA game me a T-shirt as an award :cool:)

18. bigharry

bigharry Regular Member

Was it a nice shirt??

19. hunkajunk69

I noticed that someone was videotaping the A finals at this tournament. Does anyone have it up on youtube or anything?