Fix my Ti-10!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Don, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Don

Don Regular Member

My last Ti-10 is on the verge of death. Where the shaft and handle intersect, the shaft and handle is quite loose, to a point I can twist the shaft slightly. There doesn't seem to be any cracks int he shaft. Anyone know how to fix this? I really want to save this racquet, because it's the last of its kind, a 3U CN version. HEEEEEEELLLP!

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

i think that if you did a forum search you can find a similar topic. but it was pertaining to a carlton racquet so im not sure if it will help or not. :(

3. wind rider

wind rider Regular Member

Student
    if u live in UK u can send it to central sports, they fix broken rackets, but im not sure of the qulity of it

4. Don

Don Regular Member

Has anyone attempted to solder the joint? I am thinking about it. Soldering the joint may prevent the twisting, but I don't know if the heat may weaken the graphite composition.

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i doubt soldering would help... most solder is about 50/50 tin and nickel... or something else i cant remember. They are both very weak metals that are filled with impurities anyway. They wouldn't add much strength, imho, and certainly not worth the damage to graphite... which i think is weakened by heat? On the other hand, the handle area is already very weak, so things can't get much worse, right?

I wouldn't do it if it was my racquet... but since it's your racquet, you get to decide. If you do decide to do it, let us know if it worked well for you!

BTW, i would get some high end epoxy or perhaps capenter's glue. Clean the area, sand it slightly with coarse sandpaper, and clean it again. Then apply the glue. I have no experience with fixing problems of your type, but this worked great when my wooden rack was about to fall apart. A little bit of good glue is now holding up a lot of heavy stuff.

#5 bigredlemon, Dec 22, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2002
  6. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah..but glue wouldn't really go too well with a ti 10 :D

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

might fix it...but i don't know if i could live with bits of dried glue on it...depends on how good a job it was glued

8. MING

MING Regular Member

restaurant owner
    BONJOUR,HI everybody I did for about seven racquet,each time with epoxy glue and
    some glass fiber,my last work was pretty nice!!
    come to Paris MING

9. Smilley

Smilley Regular Member

IT Sec
    fixing a Ti-10

Hi There Don,

Guess what? I had the same problem like yours and I just got it back after getting it repaired.

I never thought these breaks can be repaired. Thought I'll just bring it along while stringing my other racket and asked if it can be done. Cost me $40 to repaired and I must say the work is great.

I was told there were a few more pins put in through the handle and shaft to strenghten the old weak point. After a new grip it looks like the original version. Now I am just waiting for the test play and see how it works out.

Smilley

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You know what they say, there's nothing duct tape can't do. ;)

Sorry to hear about your problem but I would imagine it wouldn't be worth it to fix it as it is pretty pricey for that and you don't know for certain whether it'll hold together.

11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

You know what they say, there's nothing duct tape can't do. ;)

Sorry to hear about your problem but I would imagine it wouldn't be worth it to fix it as it is pretty pricey for that and you don't know for certain whether it'll hold together.

12. Robert Neilson

Robert Neilson Regular Member

Student
    lol if u look at the sentral sports catalog - to the section where it shows racket repairs - it shows a broken racket then one after its fixed - though the fixed one is a totally different racket :p