Creatine?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by lalala3000, Sep 7, 2007.

1. lalala3000

lalala3000 New Member

what do you know about this supplement, is it constitutes doping, or related to doping?do you know if it is or was taken by any pro badminton player?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Creatine i had heard a lot about. It is used mainly to build up muscle. Body builders would use it. Apparently it is very good at building muscle fast. I think it is legal, not sure thou, but the problem with it is it is very bad for you. It destroys the liver if it is used too long. Its just better to use protein powder if you want to use some kind of supplement to build muscles. You mite as well just eat an extra piece of meat with your lunch & dinner. Should do the same thing. ;)

Badminton is more about technique rather than getting brute power. Power comes with proper technique. :D

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    You get creatine in fish, meat, and even in dairy products etc.. Would be annoying if it was illegal to eat ordinary food :p

/Twobeer

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think that creatine supplementation will increase how much creatine is stored in the muscles. I think the common method is to "load" creatine for a couple of weeks to stimulate this change in storage ability, then to reduce to maintenance doses for a number of weeks. For those that consume a lot of red meat, that maintenance dose might even be zero due to the high creatine levels in those meats.

I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how much it helps in badminton.

5. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

My friend tried that stuff for a while. He said it made him pee a lot :confused: .

6. Ricearonie

Ricearonie Regular Member

that is b/c while you're on your loading phase you're suppose to drink a lot of water. :)

7. stumblingfeet

Another type of supplement that might be beneficial are acid-buffers. Apparently their effect is to delay the "burning" sensation when going deep into the anaerobic system.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i presume that one takes creatine as a drink or by pill form. Either way, if u drink alot, u pee alot. Just like if u play alot, u dinkalot:p

9. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

If your friend didn't pee a lot after taking creatinine he should be worried about his renal functions. People who can't pee creatinine, get renal failure eventually :)

10. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

if this isnt illegal, i'll stock up loads of them and resell them cheap to china team :D

11. stumblingfeet

Of course not. It's just being wise in the foods you take in.

To begin with, you need to make sure you're eating plenty of vegetables, something like 1lb per 50 lbs bodyweight. Then on top of that, there are other supplements you can try. Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is an old one. Another one is beta-alanine.

12. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

Hey,

I just happen to have made a lot of research on creatine supplemention (this comes from trainors and dietetist of canadian olympic teams) and here is what I found that you might find useful:

1) Creatine supplementation is far more important for vegetarians, for their body will probably not have sufficiant amounts naturally.

2) Creatine is mostly used for muscle building, for high dosages increase the body ability to store [creatine] in muscle fibers, therefore increasing muscle repair (bodybuilding is based on that) and water stockage.

3) Creatine supplementation is now generally known to have very little or none effects on endurance and general cardio-vascular abilities. But it does increase one's ability to work at maximum speed and strenght when tired (useful for long practice days and tournements), for creatine supplementation helps store ATPs in muscle fibers.

4) Creatine supplementation has no known negative side effects, but if you do not increase your water intake proportionaly enough with your creatine intake, you may (will) suffer from dehydration (even at night), which has a lot of negative side effects.

5) Your body generates its own creatine, but it usually needs the double amount of it.

6) On short terms, "load up" phases show great benefits, but on the long run, normal dosage does the same thing.

7) If you do not desire to increse your total muscle volume, you won't need the usually recommended dosage of 5g daily, but rather closer than a daily 2-3g, and only a couple of days before tournaments, for your body stocks and keeps creatine when not used.

8) Creatine needs is proportional to your weight, without fat.

and finally

8) To absorb, from normal food, 5g of creatine, you should eat around 2-3kg (probably more, depending on meat quality) of meat, fish, or eggs.

Hope this helps

13. Xaviman

Xaviman Regular Member

eat 2-3kg of meat, fish, or eggs-->that's a lot, i think it's impossible

14. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

Ya, I know it is a lot, that is why people will take creatine supplements instead, but that percentage is real, check for yourself on any internet page that talks about that.

(unrelated to quote:)Plus, I just found out that creatine supplementation has been proven to help mental performance as well, especially in vegeterians. But the study was not about 5g daily doses, but rather smaller dosages like I said before (2-3g daily).

15. MSHSBadmPlayer

MSHSBadmPlayer Regular Member

thats some interesting information :D