YONEX SUNRISE INDIA OPEN GP GOLD 4-9th Sept 2007 seeding

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by chemile, Aug 20, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

For junior and second-team players like Tommy, Pia, Andre, Bona/Ahsan, Yulianti/Dili, Tantowi/Yulianti and to a certain extent Devin/Lita, ranking points are of course important for them to get a good draw. Part of the reason why Tommy's draw is almost always shitty is because of his low rankings :cool:

2. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

not just relatively, but very safe just like any other event.i dont know what Krisna is talking about.

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, he was probably just guessing at reasons why some of the players pulled out, i'm sure he meant no offence.

4. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Does anybody in BC know why Indian Open is not full with Indian players?

Yes, Dreamzz is correct. Sorry I have no idea what the safety condition there... :eek: I was just asking why isn't India Open full of the local Indian Shuttlers? Is there a safety issue or not? If not, as you mentioned DaN_fAn, then ok, there has to be another reason? I'm still curious... ;)

Actually, I am also intrigued... why aren't there many Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Iranian, Nepalese, Bhutanese, Bangladeshi shuttlers competing at the Indian Open? In Southeast Asia, whenever there are BWF-sanctioned tournaments, the neighbours will 'invade' each other... :D I suppose because the plane tickets are cheaper compared to sending these shuttlers to Europe etc.

'Invade' a nice way, of course... ;) Last time, during the Vietnam Challenge, Malaysia sent 40+ shuttlers, Indonesia sent 40+ shuttlers, Thailand sent 30+ shuttlers, Singapore... er... I forgot, but many... even Korea sent 20+ shuttlers... While Vietnam, the host, sent 50 or 60 shuttlers to play in all categories. It was a lot of fun... :) Athletes are extra motivated when playing against someon from another country... Big pride...

Thailand Open Gold GP and Philippine Open Gold GP was similarly invaded by our fellow ASEAN neighbours while many Thais and Philippinos played... The qualification matches were full. Very full... :)

5. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Report from HINDU:-

Seventeen Indian players, 11 in the men's draw and six in women's section, will take part in singles events of the tournament.
    World No 3 Chong Wei faces a tough challenge from compatriot Bao Chunlai and Chen Yu while Hidayat is also a serious threat to the Malaysian's title hopes.
    In the men's doubles, Candra Wijaya of Indonesia and American Tony Gunawan have got the top billing but will be wary of the threat from the Korean and Malaysian pairs.
    World Championships runners-up Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae are seeded third while their teammates Lee Jae Jin-Hwang Ji Man are the No 2 seeds.
    The top Indian pair of Rupesh Kumar and Thomas Sanave will meet Bona Septano and Ahsan Mohamad of Indonesia in the first round.
    V Diju and Akshay Diwalkar and Dinesh T and Jayan James are the other two Indian pairs in the draw.
    In the women's doubles, Chinese Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen, also crowned champions in Kuala Lumpur last week, continue their partnership and are the top seeds.
    The Indian duo of Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurian have got a bye in the first round. Besides them Aparna Balana and Saina Nehwal, and Ashwin Ponappa and Nitya Sasala, have also teamed up.
    In the mixed doubles, the Indian pairs of V Diju-Aparna Balan and Vineeth Manuel-Jyotsna P have got a bye in the first round.

6. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Only 17 Indian players? C'mon Badminton Association of India... do something...

I just checked again... in the Vietnam Challenge:
    Malaysia sent 57 players :eek:
    They even exceeded Vietnam, the host, who registered 55 players... :p
    Indonesia was third in size with 41 players. :)

So, as you can see.... this started my curiosity on why not so many Indian shuttlers taking part of their own Indian Open?!? [​IMG] Dreamzz's comment about how this looks like an INA Open rather than an IND Open started my curiousity... and then I also saw soo many byes in the 1st round of MS and the lack of qualification participants in the other categories. Leads to the question: why aren't the Indian athletes participating in their most prestigious tournament? [​IMG]

#26 Krisna, Aug 23, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Maybe India only wants to send those players who can be competitive. No very logical when you are the host, I know.

8. badmad

badmad Regular Member

or maybe there are just as many players as that.... :p u can get the idea about the number of people who take badminton seriously in india.

also, in my opinion, reason(s) for this event to take place in hyderabad are:
    1. Gopichand has his academy there in Hyderabad. Padukone has his in Bangalore and i guess that would have been the other option.

2. Many of indian shuttlers are from the Andra Pradesh and Hyderabad is its state capital. (others are kerala, maharashtra and karnataka).

i can't rule out the possibility tat gopi has pulled this event in hyd... :)

9. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    hmm. wow! malaysia is bringing a whole big group there with 57 players?! hope they won't disappoint us :(

10. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

The system right now in India is that the selected players for major tourneys train in one camp before every major tournament and only those players are allowed to play in that tournament.so i dont see how they can have 57 players train in a camp.so maybe that's the reason.
    but it does not make much sense.

11. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    hmm. yea. how is it possible to have 57 players training in one camp? hmm...

12. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Oh, in the Vietnam Challenge where Malaysia sent 57 athletes, not all of them are from the National Team. Some are from their sports school, some are from Malaysian badminton clubs. Just like the INA players in that Vietnam Challenge and this Indian Open are not all from the National Team, some are from Indonesian badminton clubs.

In the Indonesian Open and Indonesian Challenge, we shall also see many Indonesian badminton club players in addition to the National Team Players. That's the way it should be... :D It's a lof of fun that way... ;)

So shouldn't we expect not only the Indian National Team players, but also those players from the various Indian Badminton Academy & Clubs to participate in their own Indian Open Gold GP? :confused:

DaN_fAn said the current system in India is to train a selected few train together to go to tournaments... I can understand some of the rationale behind that system IF it is done for International tournaments. But if the same system is used for a big tournament held in India?!? :confused: Not a very good idea, I think. :confused:

It is better to let the other academy/club players compete. Just look at the MS draw... aiyaa, so many byes...There are so many open spots there... better to let Indian shuttlers experience playing Taufik, LCW, Bao, etc... Even if they loose, that's an experience of a lifetime that they will talk about all their lives [maybe]...

Well, that's my own opinion... :D

#32 Krisna, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  13. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    DaN_fAn, how many badminton clubs are out there in India? How many players are playing in India [just give estimates]? :confused: I am just curious...

14. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Your question really should be "How many world-class players are playing in India" ???

15. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I dont really know the stats but i would say that the number of Players are increasing and the coming pool of players Saina,Anup,Anand Pawar,P.Kashyap,Aditi have the game to be competitive at the world class level plus the age on their side and plus which for me is an important factor.....somebody like Gopi as their coach.
    And of course there are much older guys like Chetan Anand who will look to prove a pt. here after Anup's show.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    No no...:p really, how many total players and clubs... In INA, [supposedly] we have around 500,000 active club players [not necessarily competing in tournaments] and maybe 2000+ registered clubs all over our 17,000 islands. I just want to compare the badminton base...

As for the Indian Open, whether world-class or not world-class yet, I think Indian players should participate. Not necessarily to win the tournament, but to measure abilities. :)

17. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Also as far as upcoming players are concerned ou will be quit e suprised to know that last year in the National Junior Championships[includes U-10,U-13,U-16 and 19]the draw had upto 1,500 entries!
    So Baddy is gaining popularity here but only a handful of these guys actually Pursue a career in baddy.Most drop out after they have finished 19 yrs.but regular tournaments like these and we can only get better.

One more thing i feel is that a system is being bought into place after Gopi's become coach and you can quite see the results lately.

18. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    yea. I agree with you. no matter. win or lose. it's all about the experience to play with world class players. that would be great for them right? they will surely say.. ''woot.. I played against 1 of the top players.. and it's so great! I would 1 day wanna compete with them. and I would wanna win against them'' .. at least there's something to shout about aite? the thing is.. India Open GP right? they should allow more Indian players to play. no matter world class or not world class yet.. what do you guys think?

19. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    In my small INA town of 600,000, the participation of the Under 14, Under 12, and Under 10 is around 400 entries for a county tournament... Then around 800 entries if they have a multi-county tournament [usually 4 counties are involved]. A typical domestic circuit will also draw 1500 entries.

Participation in our National Championship is not too big, actually. Maximum 4 player/pair per province. And there are 32 provinces. Oh, and INA only has the Under 19 National Championship. No Under-16, 14, 12, 10. The lower age groups are only for county level competition.

20. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    hmm. wanna ask a question.. India is popular with dis sport? badminton? :confused: