Powerful backhand smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ggagnon, Sep 3, 2006.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, I'd say the video is a great footwork video. But that footwork could be classified as "defensive footwork" (stretching the meaning of defending)

in defense, players don't have the initiative, and 'wait' for the next shot (the most logical place being the centre of the court, your base) that way the distance/traveling time is roughly equal for each shot you receive, so all the traditional footwork applies.

But when on the attack, players grab the initiative and increase the pace. The shots you receive when you attack are slightly more predictable (you hit it down: it's most likely a netshot, or a lift. The latter not really being a threat) so naturally the player stops moving all the way back to his base, and postions himself to the area where the next shot will most likely be, you will also see the player doesn't do the standard footwork, but almost "runs" in straight lines and diagonals. Lastly: you'll see the attacking player has his racketfoot forward most of the time.

what you described above (after the netshot) is a example of "attacking footwork" no more 'base' and more straight lines (with a high quality netshot the lift will always be high, so a netreturn will be a greater threat to the attacking player, he stands closer..)
    His/her racketfoot will be forward, and when forced back he/she pushes off (splitstep) and does crossover steps, a swivel step and after that the 'normal' footwork (blockjump, scissors jump, no jump)

now when to do a scissors jump or a blockjump...might be an even longer post ;)

sorry for going off-topic as well...though the backhand stuff has 'been done' by now, I guess :p

.,..and gollum beat me to it....

#61 jerby, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Hi,

It seems the backhand smash is useful especially to surprise people, who expect a round the head shot. After reading about it, I want to try it out.

I am currenctly using a 295g tennis racquet on my backhand to hit shuttle cocks on the wall for up to 20 minutes each day. Man, a lot of veins on my forehand begins to show up on the skin....

Hopefully, the speed and power from the smash will come....I can't think of any other ways to develop backhand strength..

Found 2 clips of the Backhand smash in competition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEsARpxuYTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ualwAwHjopU&mode=related&search=

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

maybe 300grams is a bit too much?
    training with very hevay stuff like that is great if you want to be muscular, but for speed and accelaration I'd say 150-200 grams would be ideal.

For me, 300gr is way to heavy to accelarate normally

4. williamboo

williamboo Regular Member

Ya, agree both with Linus and Gollum... BH Smash can't be as strong as FH smash unless FH technique is wrong and mostly BH smashes are won by surprises instead of power. BH smashes won't be effective the second time as most opponents would bring up their awereness but it's good to have a good BH smash though, show off in front of the girls, haha, jokes.

5. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I am definitely not a fan of training with ultra heaavy rackets. Yes, training with a 2U or 110g training racket can strengthen up your power, but at the same time, when you switch back to the modern 3U or even 4U rackets, you somehow lose the fine control in front of the net and some drop shots. Badmintan, mabe you should only train your backhand with the heavy racket, for normal play, just use your standard ones. Switching between rackets all the time is not a good idea in fine tuning your touch and technique.

By the way, BH smash can definitely impress the ladies, maybe some guys as well. But who cares anyway!

6. headstitch

headstitch Regular Member

student
    im so interested to know a powerful backhand....pls teach me...thnx

7. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    As a number of members can attest, I have a pretty strong backhand smash, though I could never imagine it to be as strong as my forehand. There is no way I can generate the same hip and elbow rotation that allows me to really bomb my forehand smash.

I learned two styles of backhand - the traditional elbow bent method which has been talked to death here and what I learned as the "whip method"

The main problem I see with most players is that the timing of the elbow and wrist are way out of sinc and they don't get good arm extention. it's all about timing as you can see from taufik's backhand. He snaps his wrist at the same time he extends his elbow taking it well above his head.

The other way is whip, which is pretty much as it sounds - your elbow is extended from the start of the swing and you snap your wrist at the very top ( you are is "stiff, liek a big pendulum). It's very hard to get the timing right, but when you do, you can get some serious shuttle velocity. It is also hard on the shoulder if you mishit it.

I do roll my thumb slightly when I hit my backhand, but i don't really think of it as a grip changes as my thumb barely moves, it more of a change in pressure from my ring finger to my thumb.

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    can someone explain when to do the block jump and when to do the scissors jump? For me i tihnk that when i an preparing to rush up to the net after hitting, i'll do the scissors. i do the block jump usually when i reach the shuttle slightly later...probably more in doubles when you only care about hitting a powerful, well angled smash and do not care about recovering:) hoping to get enlightened on this

9. headstitch

student
    Pls Help Me How To Improve My Backhand Smash

<P>elow guyz.......is there someone who has a golden heart that can teach me how to improve my backhand smash?????plz...i just nead it so badly........</P>
    <P>thnx</P>

10. headstitch

student

can you teach me how to do a good backhand...plz

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, they're two types of footwork both for different situations...

for around the head a siccorsjump is used in about 90% of all cases, only exception I can think of is some intercepts, and some doublesfootwork. But even then it's preferable to land in scissor-like style.

for forehandshots, all the shots to the extremes of the line are almost always blockjumps. Only when taking shot directly over your head (and well on time) a scissorsjump works best...
    It's very hard to explain without visuals.

first off: welcome to BC! :D

secondly, I very much doubt the fact you really need to be able to do a backhandsmash... just give it time and focus on more important things...

12. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
  13. epileatheral

epileatheral Regular Member

Manafacturing (Flextronics)
    Backhand smash as strong as forehand smash? I know who can do that... HELLBOY.. hahahahahahaha

14. Eddex

Eddex Regular Member

Student, Musical Director, devoted badmy player ^^
    Practice! ...is what you need to master backhand smash. ^^

15. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yup, it will be more effective when you timed your position before the shot is returned.

17. kennlim87

kennlim87 Regular Member

Studying
    The word "exist" is a strong word. If it does not exist, then it could not be performed in the 1st place. Perhaps, u should say it's an unorthodox technique?

18. 450450

450450 Regular Member

I managed to get 3 points with a cross court backhand smash in a single game other day. It was a suprise shot as the opponent thought I was doing a backhand clear. But the three BHS (back hand smash) that I did was from a clear that didn't reach the base line far enough. It was probably 1 metre from base line?

I could have done the proper footwork and do a around the head clear or drop. But I knew the opponent would stand too far back and I couldn't resist it and BANG :D But I would not use a BHS against an opponent at my level or higher.

Edit: Anyone got videos of themselves doing a backhand smash? :D

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Once I get back to playing and find my stroke, I'll get someone to film my backhand.

If I could figure out a way to transfer the one part of my match from the RJ open I could show you a nasty backhand smash I cranked down the line.

I may have to get the far more technology competent evylgrynn to help me.

20. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    my backhand smash is about 75% as powerful as my forehand smash. take practice and someone who wants to mutli feed a bunch of shuttles to your backhand, start slow then build up racket headspeed. also remember just like a forehand smash hit the shuttle in front of you(its actually behind you because your back is facing the net but you get the point) and create a downwards angle. and use this backhand grip:
    -start with a forehand grip
    -then point the thumb upwards against the handle
    the thumb should be pointing towards the edge of the racket not the face.
    -curl your index a little bit lower then the forehand grip
    now swing it around make sure it feels right
    now pretend to do a backhand and stop the racket were the contact point should be, look at the angle of the racket and look at the net. are they parallel? if not then either the grip is wrong or your not in the right position
    but i garantee this grip works, also don't through your racket, use finger power too.