Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JChen99, Dec 4, 2002.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Anyone here weight lift?

Cuz I'm thinking of starting again for next semester(January) but I'm looking for a routine that doesn't add too much muscle mass but more power

Cant realli find one on the web(gonna go look in library after my finals)

Anyone got any suggestions? :)

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hey jchen, you are gonna get burnt by this thread, there are a lot weight lifting threads in the other forum sections. :D

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    :eek: :eek: :eek: realli @@
    dat's ok... as long as i get a good routine I wont complain much ;)

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    not worried about you complaining. :p Yes I lift weights, I think it helps, combining it with some cardio and it's good training. Not sure about the routines, I just use all the machines at the gym and ~20 reps in 2-3 sets w/ each. Before weight training, I'd light jog 10 min to warm up, and after weights, I'd do some cardio for another 30-60 min depending on how much time I got. This is the non-badminton day routine, and everyday I do some sit-ups, push-ups, and free weights w/ the arms.

5. Don

Don Regular Member

do not use machines. for best results use proper form and do a high number of reps with free weights. if you use machines, you might as well just lift cans.

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I used to do 10 pound free-weights - for air rifle though, not badminton. That's my official sport - if you count it as a sport. When I go to the gym, I usually do all the machines - except the threadmill (but that's not counted as weights). I have an aversion to threadmills coz back in my country, there's a branch of the California Fitness Center and all these poseurs pay friggin' high membership fees and run on the threadmill BESIDE A GLASS WINDOW so everyone passing by can see them. I used to refer to them as "hamsters". Besides, if I wanted to run, I would do so on the road or track, not on some machine.

7. Don

Don Regular Member

I seriously can't see why people must use machines other than the fact they would have poor form or are intimidated by the heavy lifters in the free weights. In an article I read a while back, it stated that machines actually prohibit development because of the lack of form and intensity. I also see the other side of the arguement that beginners should not use free weights without proper supervision for saftey reasons. But I do endorse free weights as oppose to machines just because free weights has more advantages.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Racquet Services
    Free weights are your best option unless your recovering from an injury then your best choice is the medicine balls and stretch balls and teather bands. Free weights cause you to use support muscles that is very important in an in game situation. Some people think bulkiness accompanies free weights however if you do high reps like 20-25 reps of low weights and keep a good stretching routine you're muscles will develop into long powerful muscles that are not hindered by bulkiness. Hope this helps. If you guys need more help about weight lifting email me or pm me. I did alot of training as a football, track and badminton athlete in high school.

Cheers,
    Nick

9. Don

Don Regular Member

It's all about form. I laugh at the varsity rowers in my gym. They train with huge number of reps, but little sets. However, they have terrible form and must do twice as much as me to get a decent workout. Form is most important.

10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Exercise balls + free weights are the best (and cheapest!) combination, imho. That's what I used when I still worked out. Working on the machines, you can use larger weights though, which sounds more impressive when you are bragging :) On the inverse-squat machine, i can manage 800 pounds (12x3). With free-weights on my shoulder, I can barely do 100 lb.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That can be interpreted the other way round. The rowers have such good form & fitness, they can do the technique more efficiently and economically. Therefore, they need to do twice as much as you to get a decent workout................

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Started...

ok... so I've been to the gym Mon/Wed/Fri for workouts all throughout this semester(which started Jan 2nd) for about 1 hr/cession.
    The good news is, I've gained 2KG of (almost) pure muscle mass. The unfortunate thing is.. badminton either precedes or procedes the weight lifting, so I gotta play or lift with sore muscles to begin with, which I'm really gettin used to HAHA

I found sites on the net about how to train to gain maximum muscle mass(which is he one I really want... to look buff but still not be able to lift millions of tons(great deception ei?) ;)
    At the same time I picked up form and "techniques"(i think u can call them that) from a friend who's been working out for a year already

Currently doing 6-8RepsX2-4Sets(with every set 5 lbs are increased) but mostly for the chest and other upper body areas(all done with free weights... except for the back) and I'm finding that I'm recovering sooner and sooner from the soreness (sometimes too soon) so I think I gotta put on more weight for my reps :p

Here's the important stuff:
    After weight lifting for the past 2.5 weeks, I find that I can smash harder with less effort, however, my once great drops are deminished to almost nothing(lost most of the feeling I had for my delicate drops), and even at the net as well. However, due to this "handicap" I've developed(or beginning to) the style of playing the net with the momentum of the body, and not just wrist. It's working great! I cant belive losing somthing can gain me something else! :)

Jus lik to share this with the rest of ya guys :)

N thx for replyin earlier on the posts. Appreciate it!

#12 JChen99, Jan 21, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    glad everything is working out jchen, kudos to you. :D

14. bigredlemon

JChen99

If you want to recover fast from workouts, buy youself a tub of Whey and have 40 of protein right after working out. Your muscles will feel "fresh" after a few hours! All whey is supposed to have the same nutritional value but the quality does make a big difference in recovery time imho. I find that ultrafiltered whey is much better than ion exchange whey. EAS Delux Protein Pack is amazing too. It really makes you feel like superman... like you can workout 10 hours a day.

Btw... instead of using the weight bence, do your exercises on an exercise ball. you'll be working out the stabalizer muscles too, so you're less likely to be injured on the courts.

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    whey... that stuff is.... expensive! @@ I got some over last summer and still hav a tub at home... yah they do help, but the thing is, I workout at school and dont come home right afterwards, so I cant have it "immediately" after workouts

As for doing weight training on an exercise ball, is there any other benefits except for the ones u mentioned? cuz i rarely get injured(except for my knees but that was cuz of stupidity) and I have pretty good balance alreadi :D

16. bigredlemon

Yea Whey is freakin expensive BUT it's actually cheaper than you think. Compared to how well whey is absorbed by the body, it's actually a cheaper source of protein than chicken or eggs or beef etc. If you get the Pro Performance Ultrafiltered whey 2 pack (330g each) that's only about 25$ with a GNC discount card. That stuff is very high quality, and will last you a month or more. It's 90% cheaper than buying a precooked whole chicken everyday... which is what i used to do. You get the same amount of protein, but its absorbed faster, and you get an immune system boost. So if you calculate everything out, whey = cheap!

Exercise ball + weight set can be had at Walmart for $50 CDN. There is no muscle you can't workout with this set, and all in the comfort of your home :). I think the two biggesy advantages are speed (it's easier to go from one exercise to the next with the ball and free weights) and strengthening the stabalizing muscles (less injury, and save time: you can workout your abs, back, and calves while doing benchpress!)

17. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Thx BRL! I'll look into the whey stuff and maybe talk my mom into gettin the ball thingy :p

18. bigredlemon

Welcome :).

Of all the excerise equipment I have ever used, I'm most impressed with the exercise ball + cast-iron dumbell combo. Nothing is more verstile or as effective. Even benchpressess are so much better imho that I don't even use my weight bench or bar bells anymore. I'm even saving time too since I can work on my upper leg (quads) abs (front and side) well doing upper arm (biceps and delts) all from a single position, and usually more than 2 muscle groups at once.

If you do decide to get a set, check the net especially mensfitness.com) for great workouts as the methods given on the instruction sheet are pretty old.

19. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

jchen

what kind of exercises do you do? I only have lil 10-15 lb free weights. Just lil dumb bells for my skinny arms. I would like to look a bit buff in the upper region and a lot more tone. But dont really know what kinds of exercises im supposed to do. All i know is curls and that's mainly it... I need a lot of work with my biceps and triceps.