Need Help with footworks, what are ways of learning?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by RaymondLin, Jul 16, 2004.

1. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Need Help with footworks, what are ways of learning footworks?:confused:

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Read a book
    Do a search on BF. use 'footwork'
    watch videos of top players
    find a coach and ask him about footwork

3. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    k thanx for the advice:)

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Get a coach is probably the most effetive way (but also the most $$ costing way.)

Sometimes it's hard to practice and hard to understand the inner tips by watching videos......

5. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Coaching is indeed the fastest way but it depends upon the coach and whether they explain it properly.I unfortunately see many a coach who take the "do like this " approach with no explaination as to why or when or to highlight the finer points that distinguish their footwork from others such as form , posture ,execution of the shot with the footwork ,rhythm of movement and also neglect to show how to recover after the shot has been executed.Sometimes it is not their fault as they honestly don't know any different due to lack of experience in coaching or playing but then there are others who I despise who try to milk the student for all they can and discourage these people who honestly want to learn.Knowing what look for in a coach is important and don't think that just because to their list of credentials of high level and international play or victories makes them the best coach.Many of these people I consider world class feeders as they hope by running you into the ground you will be satisfied with that.Ignorance of the student(lack of knowledge)at first is taken advantage of and eventually when they(the students) don't see any technical improvemnts happenning either give up because they think they can't learn or go on playing a lower level with no real appreciation and actually continue to hurt this sport by poor play a stereotype this sport can't afford. Watching videos of professional players is ok but only if you have a frame of reference.Most of us watch for the entertainment value and fail to notice all the technical adjustments being made to keep the shuttle in play as well as tactics being used to exploit and create those unforced errors or winning shots.I don't want to discourage you but make an educated decision as to how to get the best from your time and money.Yes I am a coach but nothing frustrates me more than those who hurt this sport and those who have 3 or 4 $200 + racquets and an outfit to boot who refuse to get coaching .Best of luck and remember that practice only makes a difference if you practice properly.

6. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Bighook, very well put and I do agree with you. Just realised how old this post is but still will reply anyway.

I have a complaint though !! :crying:

You nicked my favourite saying or close to it anyway,
    remember that practice only makes a difference if you practice properly. I have always said, practice makes perfect but also makes permanent so ensure that you practice correctly.

Many of these people I consider world class feeders as they hope by running you into the ground you will be satisfied with that
    Great line, I have seen more than my fair share of them, glad to see others can see through them too, pity those that pay them for their "name".

Gerry

#6 gerry, Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I have my own saying to add:

Practice doesn't make you better, playing better makes you better.

This has had a big effect on my thinking as a coach. For one thing, it means that a player is no better than his/her last game: just because you practice a lot doesn't mean anything if you don't play well when you need to play well.

Practice time is an opportunity to get used to playing at a higher level. However, if you aren't physically and mentally prepared to do so, then your results from practice are going to be limited.

8. harmono

harmono Regular Member