Recommendation on HK and TW staying

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LazyBuddy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I will visit HK and TW with my gf at the end of Sept. Now, we are trying to figure out which hotel we should book.

HK: We know that places like Monkok (Kowlong Island) might be a good tourist place to hang out, but we do want to visit the financial district and shopping centers in HK island as well. Of course, night view in Wanchai is also a must. Seems hotels in Kowlong are quite expensive, while the ones on the edges of HK island (i.e. North Point) is more affordable. Of course, close to MRT is preferred, and safety is a concern (plus FOOD :D) as well. We will have 3 ppl, and our budget is US$125 per night or below.

TW: We will visit Taipei, and seems most hotels are quite expensive. I found one (Rosemary Hotel from Orbitz) on Chung Shan N. Road, and seems quite affordable for $68 per night. The building looks a bit old, but I hope the area is fine (seems close to East District).

Hope ppl from HK and TW can give some hints, or if you know any good travel discount search engine, please let me know as well. Overall, time to burn some $$$ and hopefully I will have a lot of FOOD.:D:D:D

Btw, if we are US citizen, do we need Visa for HK, as it's now part of China???

Thanks in advance! ;)

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Check this out LB.
    http://www.asiarooms.com/hong_kong/hong_kong_island/wan_chai-area.html
    It's in fact a hp of a hotel agency. My wife say it's better to book a room through a hotel agency rather than the hotel directly. Coz the the price is a bit lower that way. Her recommendation is the Wesley hotel in Wan Chai. You may also check if there are some better choices from that site.

LazyBuddy likes this.
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks!

The reason I want to ask here, is the agent in NY seems only "randomly" book something for you, or just attract you with some "low" price, but never cares about your travel route. :cool:

I want to have some ideas before asking them, so, they can provide me the quote for the ones in my list. ;)

4. red00ecstrat

very smart indeed!
    but in fact hk is a very small place. no matter u are in hk island or kowloon peninsula. u can go back and forth between both places within 1/2 hour!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's very true, heard how good the MRT is over there. So far, my top choice in HK is North Point of HK island (in particular, Newton Inn). Just wonder how's the safety (as well as taxi and FOOD :D) over there, as I prefer to take a walk at night time, and seems it's fairly close to the ocean?:rolleyes:

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Regard Taipei hotels, just did some research again. Seems I might nail down to 2 choices: Rosemary and Wan Tai. Seems Wan Tai receives pretty good reviews from quite a few sites... :rolleyes:

Any suggestion from TW buddies?

7. doublewings

doublewings Regular Member

8. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Metropark Hotel

I agree with doublewings, Metropark Hotel is located just outside of Causeway Bay and walking to the MTR will take you 7 mins and other types of transportation are available around the clock. Shopping and dinning in Causeway bay is great! If you're lucky you might be able to get a room with Victoria Harbour view.

9. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
  10. red00ecstrat

safety and transportation won't be a problem in north point. however, the newton inn is located in the residential area. there isn't any shopping mall around and the choice of food is very limited.
    u may also consider to stay in causeway bay, wan chai, admiralty, central and tsim sha tsui (excluding the famous chung king mansion.);) u can find virtually anything in those places. very convenient!
    if u wanna take a walk at night. i would suggest u to take the mtr and go to tsim sha tsui east.:)

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the information. However, when I check the rate, it did not specify the $$$ is for per person or for per room. We have a group of 3, and I try to limit my budget to be US$120 per night per room. Seems the hotels in Causeway bay is a bit too expensive for us. :eek:

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
  13. red00ecstrat

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Sounds like those government-run markets. If that's the case, the place might be smelly :D.

15. red00ecstrat

It's kinda wet market but it isn't smelly at all.

16. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    If you're going to Taiwan, don't miss out on the night markets! Really fun, they'll sell lots of stuff at night out in the streets, rather like a festival, I love it, they sell books, CDs, food (most of this, of course!), the only thing is, I don't know the specific locations for those, but if you do see one, don't miss out on the opportunity!

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sure deal. I've been to Taipei 2 years ago, and went to 3 night markets (including Shilin). There were tons of fun and a lot of good food. :D Each time, we don't eat dinner, but got ourselves over filled, as we walking around while grabbing food and drinks all over.

Actually, the Wan Tai hotel should be just next to the Raohe market, and that's one of the main reasons, it's on the top of my list. ;)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Do I need visa to HK?

As a US citizen, do I need to apply for Visa (from CHN) in order to visit HK? I believe I don't need one for TW. Can anyone confirm? :rolleyes:

19. red00ecstrat

20. kikks9

kikks9 Regular Member

Hi LB,

I was just in HK in Feb. I had a great time there. 1 week was not enough for me. I recommend for you to stay at the YMCA hotel on Salisbury Rd. Tsim Sha Tsui. Don't let the name YMCA scare you away. It is actually a very nice hotel with very good facilities. For the money I paid, it was an excellent choice.

I have stayed at the YMCA in Wan Chai as well, I do not recommend the YMCA hotel in Wan Chai because the beds are very hard and uncomfortable. The hotel was also very old. The hotel was very cheap which was one of the reason I chose it but I will say that the value and comfort from spending just a few dollars to stay at the YMCA in Salisbury is recommended.

Have fun.

CJ