Joo-bong: Jae-sung-Yong-dae can pose a danger to other pairs

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by ixory, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Joo-bong: Jae-sung-Yong-dae can pose a danger to other pairs
    By RAJES PAUL
    star online

KUALA LUMPUR: Korean doubles player Lee Yong-dae had to take a three-month break after breaking a finger in a cross-country mishap.
    But his confidence remained intact when he returned to action in the Thailand Open last month, partnering Jung Jae-sung for a runners-up finish.
    And South Korea's former doubles ace Park Joo-bong has picked the pair as the darkhorses to win the World Championships title. His favourites are China's Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng and Malaysia's Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
    “I am not placing them as the favourites because of Yong-dae's condition. He fell during a cross-country run and broke a finger on his playing hand (right). He is back in action but we do not know how well he can cope in the world tournament, which is a much more challenging event,” he said.
    “If they are in good form, they will pose a danger to the others.”
    Joo-bong, who has five world championships titles under his belt (two men's doubles and three mixed doubles), is now the chief coach of the Japanese national team and he arrived here with the players on Tuesday night.
    He felt that the Indonesian-American combination of Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan were not as powerful as Cai Yun-Haifeng or Kien Keat-Boong Heong.
    “The game has evolved into a power game. Candra-Tony are skilful and aggressive but they are older and cannot sustain the pace and power. The Chinese and the Malaysians are the pairs to beat,” he said.
    On Japan's challenge, Joo-bong said: “Top women's singles player Eriko (Hirose) is out because of injury. She was our best bet. Now our hope is to see at least two quarter-finalists in any of the event.” Yesterday saw the arrival of the players from Denmark and England. The formidable Chinese contingent will arrive today followed by the Koreans (tomorrow) and Indonesians (Saturday).

2. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    LYD is a very talented MD players.. Just as TBH for MAS.. We needs to see more those kinda young guns to shows in WC.

3. jeremyjuve

jeremyjuve Regular Member

yup...totally agreed...i like the way LYD plays & he reminds me a bit of the great Rexy. Very similar style of play between the two, quick in movements,powerfull & talented...

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

My opinion is that LYD might hv better future if pairing wif a younger and stronger partner. Han Sang Hon will be a good choice.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It is a shame Yong-Dae broke his finger -- it also broke his momentum. Maybe too early to pose any threats to top pairs like KKK-TBH and CAI-FU. It will take a while before they get back to the very top.

On a better note, KKK-TBH are doing well studying the plays of CAI-FU --- understand from a friend, they are confident they can beat them. Only nerves will rob them of success. But with a huge Malaysian fan crowd backing them, I think success may be inevitable. :)

#5 X Ball, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Doubt it... it is not a matter of understanding to be successful

7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Well, CY/FHF beat KKK/TBH the same way (by studying opponents' weaknesses) after losing a few matches to the latter!

No need to argue. Just wait & see!

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

My friend, don't take my word for it. :)

9. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    His position now in KOR team is just like KKK in the past.. He was pairing up with so many of his seniors.. He gained so much invaluable games experiences from that.. JJS is a better partner for him as for now coz KOR MD doesn't have many experience, strong and formidable MD Players.
    HSH performance in XD is far more better than in his MD

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

The only pair that KKK/TBH have never played with.....lets wait and see...

11. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    or maybe Hwang Ji Man :rolleyes: I hope he's young enough..

12. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    i wonder who will win if kkk/tbh vs lyd/jjs

13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hwang is quite inconsistent.