Thomas cup predictions

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by Inky2000, May 13, 2007.

?

Who will win the Thomas cup 2008?

1. CHINA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MALAYSIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. KOREA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DENMARK

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. INDONESIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Back in 1980s and early 1990s, MAS players always played exceptionally well at team events as compared to individual championships. I hope the current batch of players can learn from their predecessors in this aspect when it comes to TC.

I still have faith in KKK/TBH as well as other young pairs like MT/MF, and even CTF/LWW has the potential to spring a surprise. As the 2nd MD is CHN's weakest link, what MAS needs to do is to win both 1st MS and 1st MD, which is tough but ****realistic****. On a good day for MAS, such a thing could happen.

2. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Looks like things are different. Wong Choong Han just beat Chen Hong in the China Master. If he hangs around for another year and play for Malaysia in the Thomas Cup, Malaysia has a very good chance of dethroning China - espeically from the Sudirman Cup, LCW proved that he can beat LD in team events.

3. badminto_expert

badminto_expert Regular Member

Consultant
    Hi Edwin,

saugusli comment was long time ago, so ou reply saugusli comment after Wong Choong Han beat Chen Hong. Why not early? So funny of you.

Yes.. LCW beat LD at Sudirman Cup but he lost at China master man... he lost alot to LD. LCW also just beat Taufik (3 sets) but again he lost alot to Taufik (lost alot 2 games).

LCW Performaces still below to LD and Taufik.

No lah..Malaysia impossible to win for Thomas Cup this time.

4. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    When saugusli wrote that comment, it was when Wong Choong Han is still resting/recovering from his Achilles. Now that he's back and in good form, Team Malaysia's Thomas Cup singles lineup is completely different from back then. I was replying to his post to show this point.

Yes. LD beat LCW in many ocassions, but there is no gurantee that LD will beat him once again in Thomas Cup - eventhough LD and Taufik are both a class above LCW. If LCW can steal a match against LD (I agree with you that this is not likely, but still possible), Malaysia will have a good chance of dethroning China.

5. david_lee

david_lee Regular Member

Student
    Wow.. it's has been long that I never visit this forum.
    Some discussion going on here.

I personally think, only China and Malaysia stands a high chance of winning the coming Thomas Cup.

But the Malaysians really have to rise up to the occasion, especially Lee Chong Wei, and Hafiz Hashim. And since Wong CHoong Hann is slowly back in form after injury. They would soon have a stronger 2nd MS. 3rd MS would be either Hafiz, Kuan Beng Hong or Lee Tsuen Seng.

MD, Malaysia definitely has a lot options to pick from, 1st MD definitely will be KKK/TBH, they are 1 strong pair I have seen after the strong Danish pair, forgot their names though.

S.Korea, Indonesia, Denmark, got to work harder then.

6. softwares88

softwares88 New Member

Got to agree with you that only China and malaysia has a high chance of winning..The rest are all underdogs..gotta work harder if they wanna win..=)

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    With 3 strong MS, esp at 2nd and 3rd MS, and strong 1st MD, CHN is the favorite. I opine CHN has slight edge over INA and MAS in 1st MS (LD) and 1st MD (Fu/Cai), but if CHN lose both 1st MS (assume TH plays) and 1st MD, then MAS and INA could win TC by winning 2nd MD. Also, if WCH returned to form as he showed in CO07, then WCH can give CJ a run at either 2nd MS or BCL at 3rd MS. I would then say CHN is favorite, both MAS at strong 2nd choice and INA possibly 3rd choice.

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    INA should be the hot favourites behind CHN. They are the host... Which they usually do well in their homeground for TC...
    They already have 3 MS which are able to win points : TH; Sony & Simon.. Hopes Tommy sugiarto, Tedjono would be selected as well to spring some surpises .

While in MD.. Its all depends on the coach panel's selection. But I hopes Tony/Candra/Flandy can be selected coz experince does matter in TC...

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Realistically..

..looking at all of the arsenals at their disposal, REALISTICALLY, the only one which PBSI can count the most is Taufik...Especially looking at their recent tourney's results..:p..And until another single player steps up, the burden will be on Taufik; and personally, i don't think he will be the same esp. when his new baby arrives, which should be anytime soon..:p;)
    And personally, i would forget abt getting the ex-players back, esp. the MD players..As tough as it is and as limited a time they have to groom their younger singles & doubles players, the coaching staff and PBSI have to, or MUST move forward..;)

#69 ctjcad, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  10. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Tony won't be selected because he'll be representing USA

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    indo will all out in their beloved motherland.AGREED! unfortunayely,we cant say they are the hot favourite coz they are not.high spirit wil not confirm their glory winning.Be realistic.

12. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    don't you remember the last sudirman cup

from underdog became a finalist.. :D

ina sporters will 'burn' their spirit. :D

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ina supporters will 'burn' their spirits.Aggreed!!

from underdog became a finalist.Agreed!!!

but u cant win the championship and thats the issue.

14. gidong

gidong Regular Member

taufik-ist ... Sudirman cup is diffrent story lah ... TC no mix-d and WS and WD hahahahaha

15. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    in istora senayan anything can happen...

at least we will be a finalist in TC 2008 :)

ina thomas cup 2008 team (my prediction) :
    1. TH
    2. Sony
    3. Simon
    4. markis/hendra
    5. alvent/luluk
    6. Chandra Wijaya

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    U know what,dismisss Simon and get Andre.he's the new star for indo.Simon???i doubt if he can do something in the Thomas cup or the WC

17. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    hmm... have visited this forum many times but never commented here...

Based on current condition:
    Team China will be:
    Lin Dan (1)
    Cai/Fu (1)
    Chen Jin (4)
    Xie/Guo (36)
    Bao (5)

Team Malaysia will be:
    LCW (3)
    KKK/TBH (2)
    WCH (15)
    CTF/LWW (6)
    HH (16)

Team Indonesia will be:
    Taufik (10)
    MK/HS (3)
    Sony (11)
    Luluk/Alvent(7)
    Simon (19)

Team Denmark:
    Gade(6)
    Eriksen/Lundgaard (4)
    Jonassen(8)
    Rasmussen/Paaske (10)
    Joachim(25)

I predict semifinals to be (Based on my seeding):
    China vs Indonesia
    Malaysia vs Denmark

Playing out semifinals:
    China vs Indonesia
    Lin Dan vs Taufik 50:50 depending on Taufik
    Cai/Fu vs MK/HS 70:30 - Cai/Fu should win
    Chen Jin vs Sony 60:40 - Chen Jin should win, unless Sony on fire
    Xie/Guo vs Luluk/Alvent 45/55 - Shaky, but i'll say Indo pair
    Bao vs Simon 49/51 - Bao is prone to collapsing, and if for some reason, it reaches the 5th game, i would give it to indo...
    It pretty much depends on the first MS. China is known to collapse if one of their reliable singles player fall, but if Taufik fails, I see no chance of Indo suceeding. But i would still give it to China, unless crazy passionate Indo fans manage to affect the chinese...
    therefore, china 3:0 or 3:2

Malaysia vs Denmark
    LCW vs Gade 60:40 - Gade is old and slow already :p... i think based on current form, LCW should win
    KKK/TBH vs MLH/JE 60:40 - Danish pair also old but not so slow :p...
    WCH vs Kenneth 51:49 - This time, WCH is slow, but based on recent results, I'll say the advantage lays with WCH
    CTF/LWW vs Paaske/Rasmussen 55:45 - Malaysian veteren should prevail... HH yoyoking vs Joachim - 50:50 unless HH decide to yoyo more...
    Therefore, i would say Malaysia 3:0

FINALS
    CHINA vs MALAYSIA
    LD vs LCW 50:50 - Crucial match, if LCW pulls it off, I will be dancing around. However, LCW is known to fail when too much pressure is on him, although he has shown improvement...
    CY/FHF vs KKK/TBH 50:50 - Another crucial match that will keep me on the edge of my seat villifying my fingernails.
    NB: If malaysia manages to win MS1, KKK/TBH should win, and I'll be dancing away, and if malaysia claims first 2 games, the stage is still set for the CHINA comeback... however, this wont be the first time if China MS collapse
    Chen Jin vs WCH - 60:40 - A crucial match if the MD and MS points go to different teams
    Xie/Guo vs CTF/LWW 30:70 - Veterens should win. Possibly the winning point for Malaysia...
    Bao vs HH 50:50 - Again, if it comes down to this, Bao might fail... I'm giving yoyoking a 50:50 because he is known to rise to the occasion like AE2003...
    All things depend on the first 2 games. Many different scenarios possible:
    China to win 3:0, 3:1, 3:2 or Malaysia to win 3:1 or 3:2

I'll keep my eyes open for the WC...

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    From the current seeding at WC07 for MS & MD category.. It Looks like a mostly likely to be CHN vs MAS in the TC finals next year..
    CHN have 4 MS + 1 MD was seeded in the top 16, while MS side eligible for 2 MS + 4 MD being seeded.
    It will be hard to predict whose gonna win between this 2 nations.. a 50-50 for each side depends on the forms of the player on that match day & also some "luck" factors etc...
    However, DEN who did creditably well in reaching 2 recent TC finals in a row & they will be a tough nuts to crack together with the host INA.. Which Crowds supports may favor them..

19. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    and the end of the WC puts something new into the equation - Indonesia??

20. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Hard to say. MAS players could perform better in team events than individual events.