Sudirman Cup 2007, Glasgow, Scotland.

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by kwun, May 9, 2004.

1. Dzgdz

Dzgdz Regular Member

finance
    I was planning to go there as a line judge (you know - line judges are guys who have the best sitting in the arena for free), but I need to think a little more about this.

During such a event there is a lot of work and it is sometimes cruel that you are on the court where the boring match is played whereas just behind your back is an interesting one.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    We'll be waiting for you in KL, including me, a Singaporean! :D So come prepared! I suppose our Malaysian friends will treat you less severely as what was meted out to LB. ;)

3. laura9876543

laura9876543 Regular Member

I'll be there as i will be acting as a hostess for the event.

should be quite exciting to meet some of the players that i have seen in matches on TV on stuff!

You can't turn round in anywhere with a badminton court these days without seeing advertising for the event! I was playing in a church hall in the north of Glasgow on Sunday and they have a board up there too

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You'd be quite lucky to even do that as the normal policy of Badminton Scotland is to give these types of positions to local volunteers, any kind of hospitality, transport, meet and greet etc. Anything that will scale down the costings so they can plan a big PR push and scale up the hospitality side of it which is where they invest the money.

At times it's quite discusting that the current players are treated like crap in favour of the establishment pushing to host big competitions and the internal politics is rife with nepotism and sniping.

I just wish they'd fund the players more rather than pushing for these competitions, rather than Scots players having to fund their own way to the world champs or not even entering a team in the commonwealth games.

I hate what the organisation is doing and the way it treats people!

If only the people that give up their free time to do the whole hospitality side of things realise exactly how the funding is being spent and to what cost to the game in Scotland is in decline because of it.

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Actually you can if you play badminton outside of Glasgow.

I think you'll find there is a vested interest as Badminton Scotland have won this event by being hand in hand with Glasgow city council and it's funding, remember the Academy in Scotstoun (the venue) was built in partnership with lottery funding and Glasgow City Council money. The event was won by the large promises by Glasgow City Council and their funding!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seems no different to a lot of places in the world.:crying:

7. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    It's a good sign that there's so much interest in the sudirman cup here that the thread has spanned almost two years. I better get tickets sorted for it fairly soon.

It's been quite a long time since I last visited BF (or even seen Dill. What are you up to these days? Are you going down to the AE? I got a new, bigger, car and am taking a couple of people down with me; a few others are coming down in another car too).

See you in another four months maybe when the sudirman cup is starting. ;)
    I'll probably take photos and may post them here.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

It does seem like an age has passed, i pretty much keep away from all things badminton now in favour of just about anyhting else, its quite hard to watch people play if you can't :(

The scene just isn't the same any more

Badinton is pretty much over for me at the moment as you know but i dont think i can bring myself to even bother with the SC this year after all the bother with the powers that be.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the tickets are not selling well

#48 Dill, Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Chris, I can't go :crying:.........
    Due to final exams :crying:............

10. ynexfan2003

Are you still having knee problems? Are you getting physio.?

I had a second knee operation at the start of December. I'm hoping to start back in a couple of weeks.

You should come to the All England just for the fun element; you can even sip your whiskey and irn bru from a flask on the way there :p.

I don't see why the sbu would affect your decision to go to the Sudirman cup, but I see where you're coming from without endorsing it for obvious reasons; sometimes liaising with them seems akin to palaeontology.

Oh, and how's the bird? Is she still playing?

#50 ynexfan2003, Feb 4, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  11. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Yup she's still playing - she's in the uni championships this coming weekend and i'm hoping she plays well!!!!

Because i was private with my knee before i can't do it agian and have to wait for teh good old nhs to catch up, the only good thing is that the consultant is the same one as it was when i was private so hes getting me in for the mri's at the end of this month - still waited nearly a year for those :(

Whatever the results it is continaully buckling under no pressure and always locking out so it looks as if at teh very least i have to do some major leg work and add that to putting on nearly 4 stone it's a hell of a ob to get fit again especially when told not to do anything. The physio had me in so much pain from doing nothing that i could barely walk for about 2-3 days after a session lasting 30-40 mins :(

And after the way the SBU has shafted it's players it doesnt even deserve this tournaent.

12. ynexfan2003

Yeah, I live < 10 miles from Dill.

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Think i might have been right about the ticket sales as the arena has never been any more than a quarter full, had the comp been in Asia somewhere it would be full all day every day.

Have seen some great games, saw Jonas and Lars win it for the Danes last night and England beat Malasia on the first night of play.