New Badminton Coaching Team in Cheras

Discussion in 'Malaysia' started by kewell7, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    elvinj, I was talking about the Cheras one. Hehe. Who's the coach?

loosai, you are also training there?

Wow I think I new generation of veteran pro players gonna be born...:p Just think.. without training already so good.. what more with professional training??

ZhiWeiZ.. what pro.. pro your head lah.. haha amateur only. ;)

Hot-screensaver, imho the best thing you can do is to walk around MBA and see whether there are any coaches around. Not the MBA ones, they should be more obvious as they are usually with the MBA students. For example, in a court you see a coach with boxes of shuttles.. just walk up and ask.

You may be a bit hesitant to ask for coaching from MBA itself because of the crazy rates.. so that's my best suggestion for you. :)

#81 Joanne, May 30, 2007
    Last edited: May 30, 2007
  2. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Yeah...i do agree with joanne...she's right !!!
    Yeah !!! Joanne !!!

3. elvinj

elvinj Regular Member

We train every Sun 10-12.00pm

4. elvinj

elvinj Regular Member

The coach's name is Gavin.

5. loosai

loosai Regular Member

play badminton
    ok, thx..........:):)

6. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Oo...cool !!!
    Haha...coaching is good...at least u know ur strokes well...btw are u all recreational players?? or professional players?

7. Hot-screensaver

Hot-screensaver Regular Member

OK, thanks for the suggestion.

8. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    welcome...
    hey, hot-screensaver...
    haven get ur msn yet...dun mind giving it to me???
    Thx!!!:)

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Hmm.. he used to coach me... loooooong ago. Lol. When he was coaching in MBA, Taman Megah, just before I left MBA. Ancient history, eh. :p

Hot-screensaver, I read somewhere that you find RM50 per hour a bit steep.. I believe most coaches won't mind 2-3 players, just divide the cost out. I used to go under Ong Beng Tiong at that rate, but I shared the cost with another friend. Of course.. RM50 included the court rent..

10. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Ahaha....hmm...
    i think for me rather go setia....but if u guys are not shy...then its a real good training...
    REALLY GOOD!!!!

11. elvinj

elvinj Regular Member

No lah... just rec players only. Want to be a better player. :cool: Hopefully I can understand and read the game better.

Loosai sifu, when can I join you guys and get free lesson??:D
    Joanne, did you improve?significant, not significant, slightly?

Thanks

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Haha.. I was 12 at that time. Can't really recall.. but as far as I remember under all the different coaches I've been under I improved by quite a lot.

Perhaps you can judge from the following paragraph.. but in MBA I had so many coaches(they keep switching coaches for some odd reason) he was just one of them..

I started in MBA at about the end of std 6.. I went for a badminton camp after about a month of training there. The camp had a competition at the end of it. Let's just say I got thrashed by everyone there(everyone gave me a handicap of 5-10 points). 1 year in MBA and I went for the same camp the next year.. met the same people.. guess who's turn was it to thrash and give handicap points to them? :p

Hence my conclusion: As long as you have the will to improve, you will. ;)

And you're the one that's under him now.. do tell us all how the coaching is coming along. I'm looking for some extra coaching after SPM.. hehe. How much are you paying?

#92 Joanne, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
  13. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Haha...im looking for extra coaching too...
    maybe now i should start looking for one....
    getting into the national team isnt something easy after all....

14. kewell7

kewell7 Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Central
    Wednesday June 6, 2007

Graduate Liew back as coach
    By NG WEI LOON
    Photos by T.K. LIM

ALTHOUGH former national doubles back-up player Liew Gavin has a tertiary qualification to fall back on, the 25-year-old graduate in marketing is putting his career path related to his higher education on hold.
    This time, he is set to return to the court full-time as a private coach.

What's the plan?: Liew (left) having a discussion with Heng at the centre's 19-court badminton hall with rubberised courts flooring.

When he was pursuing his honours degree between 2000 and 2006, he served only as a part-time coach to earn some pocket money.

After completing his studies in February, Liew has been exploring and expanding the business opportunities in coaching under the banner of J World badminton development at the new 19-court The Challenger Sports Centre badminton hall in Taman Connought, Cheras.

“My parents have their reservations about me going into this because they wanted me earn a stable livelihood with my qualification,” Liew said.

»I am willing to give it a go« LIEW GAVIN

“But, my immediate aim is to set up something on my own. I wanted to use my marketing skills in my sports career. Coincidentally, the hall was completed when the profile of the game is on a high, especially with the recent success of our national doubles combinations at international level. The timing was just nice, as I had just finished my studies. I am willing to give it a go.”

The J World badminton development's coaching panel comprises former world number two Ong Ewe Hock, 1992 Thomas Cup winning team reserve player Wong Ewe Mun and Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC) development coach Jason Wong.

Before Liew quit the national team in 2000, he trained under former South Korean doubles ace Park Joo-bong.

As a junior player, he partnered Gan Teik Chai to capture the 1998 Thailand Under-19 doubles title and reached the semi-finals of the 1999 Asian Junior badminton championships in the team event.

Currently, he conducts training sessions for juniors at the new centre over the weekends. “I am also planning to create more sessions during the weekdays to groom budding players. For the group sessions, the coach to trainee ratio is one to five. In addition, for those who require special attention, I am also offering one-to-one intensive programme,” he added.

Meanwhile, the badminton hall with rubberised court surfaces for recreational and junior shuttlers, also hosted the RCL-Challenger Badminton Championships that concluded on Sunday.

The event held over two weekends drew participation of 90 adults and about 400 children. The adults competed in four doubles categories – social open, senior open, veteran open and ladies open. The age-group competitions for boys' and girls' singles and doubles were Under-10, Under-12, Under- 15 and Under-18.

“We are pleased with the overwhelming response from the badminton playing community around the Klang Valley. We felt that our centre is located at a strategic area to cater to the sports enthusiasts,” the centre's manager Heng Moi Wah said.
    In addition, the three-storey building sports centre costing RM3mil also has four futsal pitches on the ground floor.

“Our cafeteria will be up and running by next month. We are working on setting up a snooker centre on the second floor and we hope that it will be ready in August,” he added. For more details, call 012-306 2726 (Liew) or 016-365 9211 (Heng).

15. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    But challenger hall a bit too far for me la...
    i rather go subang jaya, kelana jaya, or taman megah !!!

16. avidshuttler

avidshuttler Regular Member

student
    news abt ex-player becoming coach again.... :rolleyes:

or ...

businessman take advantage of ex-player for advertisement:rolleyes:

17. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    LOL...swtz....
    btw...avidd...i added u already...but why is it not working yet???
    Hmm...did u accept my request???

18. avidshuttler

avidshuttler Regular Member

student
    tried ystdy but didnt seem to be working. Ok, let me try add u again....

19. loosai

loosai Regular Member

play badminton
    not a problem , let me know when u play.

20. boodyboy

boodyboy Regular Member

sports addict
    after having started training with elvin and gang, i think my footwork is much better now. Plus i dont get so tired even though after my traning i go for a second round of badminton with my friends.

although still not good as mr loosai here, i hope to improve and for the next time we meet up for klbc session, i at least wanna make him sweat a bit. hahaha.

i also agree with what u said joanne. as long you have the willingness to learn sure can improve wan. now i have something to look forward to everytime i go training.