Breathing technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chibe_K, Aug 12, 2004.

1. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    I've been playing pool (pocket billiards) for about 7 years prior to taking up badminton. In pool I do control my breathing when I'm at the table shooting. When I'm sitting I take deep inhalation and exhalation breaths (slow purposeful breathes), calms the nerves and makes you think clearly.

Transferring what I've learned on the pool table to the badminton court was not really seamless. Pool is more finesse, and I tend to follow my pool breathing pattern when I play net shots (finesse shots). This goes all out the window when I do power shots (smash, clears)! I'm still working on this. I also do the deep inhalation/exhalation when there is a lull in the play (specially prior to the service).

2. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Well what they probably mean by "abs" is ur diaphragm. Try this: Try to breath without moving your shoulders...you should be breathing using your diaphragm
    and it feels like your stomach is pushing out, but its really your diaphragm. This gives you a lot more air and forces you to breath in deeper. Those who are professional trained to sing SHOULD know what I'm talking about (IMO, this breathing technique can be applied to badminton.) When babies breath, they naturally breath, because you can see their "stomach" move up and down while they breath. Usually this is the most effective way to breath, whether playing badminton or not. What I think your coach means by using only your voice box and having sore throat is that people when they breath using their diaphragm do not expell the air through. In other words, some people hold thier nose when they exhale. Also, many people talk with their nose plugged. Once again, real singers should know what I'm talking about. One can actually scream loudly without hurting their throat a bit, but the right technique has to be included.That's what I think people are trying to say, I haven't tried it, but maybe I will when I play badminton hehe...

3. extremepower

extremepower Regular Member

Help badminton players to enjoy badminton and affo
    breathing

Tips. Just breath in and out as fast as you can when you get the chance. Air is a luxury when you really need it. use your mouth to suck it all in. You'll need it when you play with tough players. While you are doing so, don't let your opponent knows ok....Do it like Prakash Padukone, take all the time you need to suck up the air.

/.../

rgds
    Joe.

#23 extremepower, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2004
  4. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    when i'm late on a net drop or when i hit hard my breath naturaly go out (sometime i have some grunts).
    I think i learn this practicing lots of sports and now you explain me why its better thx!!

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

There's this thing called the "valsalva manoeuvre" which involves holding your breath for 1-2 seconds while you are full of air. Actually, you have to try to force the air out while holding your breath. This greatly increases your intra-abdominal pressure, which gives you great core strength for that duration. This in turn allows you to move with much more power. This is critical for when you need just a little bit more power getting to the shot.

Note that your blood pressure also skyrockets during this move, so it's not for people who are not in shape.

Another breathing-related topic is this cool training method I experimented with some time ago. It involves holding your breath while performing footwork drills. What happens is that after 5-6 movements, you'll be desperate for air. The benefits are twofold: you practice mentally struggling fatigue while you're in a hypo-oxic state. Secondly, your body adapts to the low oxygen by becoming more efficient at absorbing the oxygen you have in your lungs. This is considered the cheap way of achieving the benefits usually gotten from altitude training.

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i only inhale and exhale forcefully when really trying my best to hit a super hard shot, which i don't usually do. otherwise when i smash, i'll just hold my breath for a while and exhale when hitting.

7. val717

val717 Regular Member

contractor
    stumblingfeet,
    hi, can you tell more about the breathing tecnique..."valsalva maneuvre".
    tnx

8. stumblingfeet

It's really something you do automatically. Think about how you breathe when you have to lift something really heavy. It's described as "forcing air out against a closed glottis." If you were to breathe in or out, then you'd just feel too weak to lift it.

9. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

somethings i notice are that, on power shorts, breathe is all expelled at once when you strain your muscles, on delicate shots, you breathe more delicately as well.

10. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Both the things you said stumbling were really intersting. Thanks for sharing. Is there anywhere I can read more? like a book or internet site? Im hooked :)

11. stumblingfeet

12. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    hey guys, i remember some of u saying that u should breath through ur diaphram....well i just asked several teachers, and finally a science teacher told me that you cant breath through ur diaphram. It's only an expression, wat this expression means is to make sure you get enough air in ur stomach before you execute ur technique

13. stumblingfeet

What do you mean by that?

When the diaphragm contracts, the pressure within the thoracic cavity decreases, the lungs expand and then air rushes into the lungs to balance out the pressure. That's what is meant by breathing with your diaphragm.

Also, just because your teacher says something is the case, doesn't mean that it is the truth. Always be aware of your sources of information. The level of expertise of the source, the context in which it was given, the amount of background research into the information and the quality of the background research all affect how trustworthy the information turns out to be.

14. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    i gotta try some of these techniques cuz i find myself out of breath quite often... i have low stamina too... maybe this breathing technique in games will help me last a little longer... =P

15. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    hey i'm just bringing this into the light, i have no clue about the breathing through ur diaphram, just wanted to clear this up cuz i was asking a few ppl how do u breath through your diaphram.....and i got nothing, then the teacher appeared.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, so true.
    When owned by elite players, i find panting is the best breathing technique:)

17. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I would say one should try to breath normally. Either panting or holding breath will worsen performance. There are actually two types of shots where breathing pattern need to change: For net shot, exhaling very slowly will help precision. For smashes, exhaling violently with the swing will also increase power.

Finally, as for any kind of sport, breathing with the abs is better.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

When people say "diaphragm breathing", they mean breathing that involves more use of the diaphragm and less of the shoulder/chest area muscles.

Obviously you breathe with your lungs, but some people expand their lungs into the upper chest, and others use the diaphragm to expand their lungs more towards the abdomen.

Diaphragm breathing is useful for any activity where you need breath control, such as singing. It's also part of yoga.

19. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Did someone actually say breathe thru the diaphragm? I'm sure that they really meant breathe using the diaphragm. Gotta keep in mind that English is a 2nd or 3rd language for many ppl on this forum.

1) Like that serving idea. Will have to give it a try.

2) Would only hold the breath for 1-2 seconds or so. I would probably start the exhale just prior to contact rather than start it at contact.

3) Periodically I'll make a sound, a forceful exhalation, just as I am about to hit a smash or a clear (from the backcourt) as many tennis players (and martial artists) do with exertion on powerful strokes. Every once in a great while, as a deception, I'll make the sound and then hit an overhead drop instead. Can't do this too often or the hoax (deceit) loses its effectiveness.

4) For you tennis fans out there -- One of Andy Roddick's major flaws is that he holds his breath on most of his forceful shots. This practice seems to take its toll in the later sets. The tension in his body becomes apparent & sometimes his game falls apart becuz of it. Contrast this with the more natural breathing & more relaxed style of Roger Federer.

20. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I don't usually bring up old topics but I figured this one could use a little more discussion.

I haven't given breathing in badminton much thought before. Since I will be officially coaching my club this year, I started thinking about whether there are very basic errors made by many players which I have neglected to consider, including something as simple as breathing.

You would expect that the average person would know how to breathe right? However, according to studies, 30-40% of adults do chest breathing (which results in a shallower breath). They say that babies have the most natural breathing, which involves using the diaphragm as you inhale and exhale instead of the chest. This is fine and dandy when you're not doing anything strenuous, but what about when you are playing badminton?

Or how about the idea of nose vs. mouth breathing? I recall my P.E. teacher in high school telling us that we should breathe in through our nose and exhale through our mouth when we run. He was a marathon runner so I took his advice to heart and applied that to my own running (in addition to exhaling when my right foot lands on the ground, because it seems that exhaling when you land on your left will increase the chance that you'll get a stitch in your abdomen due to the fact that the organs favor the left side of the body).

When I play badminton, I pretty much always breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, unless a rally goes on so long that I am gasping for breath and consequently breathe in through my mouth. I'm wondering if there is an "ideal" breathing technique for badminton and whether or not it would have a noticeable impact on one's game/fitness/technique.

Any thoughts on the matter?