Indonesia wants Rexy to coach doubles

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by apontoh, May 14, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Just wanna share some article from jakarta post

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]No silver jubilee present for Indonesian badminton team[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
    Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta
    China is strengthening its grip on the world of badminton. Malaysia is bouncing back. Thailand is emerging as a tough contender. And Indonesia is moving toward the brink of self-destruction.

That may sound a bit pessimistic, but let's do a reality check on the performance of Indonesian shuttlers from the start of the season up through the US$250,000 Djarum Indonesia Open, which concluded Sunday.
    In the first six Super Series tournaments of the year, which means a total of 30 titles on offer, Indonesia managed only one trophy, won by the mixed doubles team of Flandy Limpele and Vita Marissa at the Singapore Open earlier this month.
    Each tournament consists of five events: men's singles and doubles, women's singles and doubles, and mixed doubles, which is generally considered the least prestigious of all the events.
    Starting with the Singapore Open, the Super Series tournaments in the rest of this year and early next year will serve as qualifying rounds for players seeking to make it to the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
    For Indonesia, the just concluded tournament in Jakarta was meant to be a chance to make amends for what has so far been a hugely disappointing season.
    But home court advantage did little to change the fortunes of the country's shuttlers. With reigning Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat crashing out of the men's singles in the semifinals, Indonesia's last hope for a title rested with the mixed doubles pair of Nova Widianto and Lilyana Natsir. But the pressure was too much to handle for Nova and Lilyana, and they put up little resistance as they were swept aside in the final.
    After the first six Super Series events, reigning badminton powerhouse China has shown that it is a class apart, with 20 of the 30 total titles. Its closest competitor is Malaysia, which has won a mere four trophies, followed by South Korea with two and Denmark, Hong Kong, Thailand and Indonesia with one title each.
    Reeling from the subpar performance of the shuttlers, Badminton Association of Indonesia chairman Sutiyoso, whose day job is Jakarta governor, promised to woo back former Olympic gold medalist Rexy Mainaky, who is now coaching Malaysia, to help guide Indonesia's men's doubles players back to prominence. Traditionally, Indonesia has excelled in the men's doubles in the Olympics.
    Sutiyoso also promised to bring Candra Wijaya back into the fold for next month's Sudirman Cup mixed championships in Glasgow, Scotland. Candra quit the national training camp to play with long-time partner Tony Gunawan, now representing the United States.
    Sutiyoso's comments may be a bit reactionary, having been made just moments after the national shuttlers reached a record low by the 25-year-old Indonesia Open empty-handed for the first time ever. For Sutiyoso, what should have been a silver jubilee celebration turned out to be a slap in the face.
    But will calling back Rexy and Candra turn things around?
    Maybe yes, maybe no, as a TV commercial says.
    But there was an interesting comment by Rexy's former coach, Christian Hadinata, who said there were no current national badminton players who showed the same enthusiasm and persistence in training as during Rexy's era in the 1990s.
    Discipline and hard work are the only keys to success, according to the current coaching team.
    When it comes to coaches, Indonesia is conservative. Many of the coaches rely solely on their own experience as players, preferring not to introduce some of the other methods and new technologies that many other countries have adopted.
    Winning or losing is not just about the score.
    A match is not only between two or four players.
    It involves the effort of both athletes and coaches, working in tandem with officials and the rest of society.
    With the Sudirman Cup only three weeks away, Indonesia has few choices of players. And while team manager Lutfi Hamid -- known for achieving the seemingly impossible task of winning the Uber Cup women's team trophy in Jakarta in 1994, with 14-year-old Mia Audina on the squad-- has set a target of bringing home the Sudirman Cup, he knows his squad stands little chance of producing another miracle.
    Lutfi has opted to focus on unity among the players as well as the whole team; a player-friendly approach which may have been ignored for years.
    With a friendly scheduled against Malaysia in Batam this week, Lutfi hopes his shuttlers can move past their repeated losses in the Super Series tournament and face the next challenge with some optimism.
    Six down, six more Super Series tournaments to go this year. Coaches are facing a major challenge to help their prot‚g‚s qualify for the Olympics.
    The Beijing Games will be a decisive moment for Indonesian sports, as historically badminton has been the only sport that has regularly contributed gold medals to the national team. Beijing will serve as the real test of whether Indonesia will remain on the world's badminton map or simply fade away.
    [/FONT]

2. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Is kinda hard on Rexy now... When the mayor tried to look very desperate to take rexy back. If rexy doesnt come back, he will sounds like a traitor who turn his back on his country when INA needed him most!

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

PBSI admitted that the current team do not have the same determination n discipline as compared to Rexy's era. If that's the case, what makes them/PBSI believe that bringing back Rexy will change these weakness among the players? Shouldnt PBSI look into their own player's discipline n determination n hardwork first prior to lure back Rexy?

I doubt even a talented player like LD or TH would become a top world player without showing the determination n discipline during trainings, even if the coach is LiMao, Rexy, Misbun or LYB. IMHO, a successful player needs 10% luck (good draws for tourneys), 20% coach and 70% "sweat".

4. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    No way!
    Rexy and the family are very comfortable staying in Malaysia. He's so well-paid and happy and why should he be leaving?

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer

6. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

The key word is "regeneration", imo, whoever is put in charge, need to:
    1) get the concensus and unity from all involved parties for the sake of INA badminton, not individual gains (be that political or financial)
    2) forgo these "quick fixes" ideas and focus on future players as soon as possible.
    3) understand that it will not be a matter of months, this process will take years.

Also, without sounding racial, I think someone needs to figure out how to entice the Indonesian-Chinese players and ensure that there won't be any discriminations against them. In Malaysia, the majority of succesful players are Malay-Chinese - as with the Indonesia-Chinese in the good old times.

#46 IndoAmerican, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
  7. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator

that's why PBSI need a coach like rexy (strict, uncompromised, full of dicipline)

8. saugusli

saugusli Regular Member

Hi You can Suggest to BAM to Terminate Rexy Contract because at lease 2 Super Series Tournament that Malaysia MD Peers can't win...HHaaa...

So now, Malaysia MD no Improvement also. So why Malysia can't take they are Ex MD Player to Coach them player? Why must recruit from Indonesia..

9. saugusli

saugusli Regular Member

Hi,

Alots Coach MD in Indonesia better than Rexy. Like Hery Iman Pribadi, Thomas Indracahya. So No Need Rexy Actually.

For Example:
    only 3 month Joko/Hendra coach by Imam and Thomas, so alot improvements. They can beat the Ranking no.2 from Denmark in Singapore Open. But still need more join the compatation as well.

So, I mean Sutiyoso want Rexy to come back because He don't want rexy coach the compatiter...This is the way to Protect indonesia player.

10. elvinlwj

elvinlwj Regular Member

Dental Surgeon
    Hello to all. This discussion relates to the coaching in Malaysia and Rexy in particular, at present and is so interesting that a "sleeping" forummer like myself is compelled to add a reply so everyone please bear with me. :)

I am a Malaysian with a strong fervour for badminton which i regard as a national pride. I would agree with all Rexy supporters here that he must be retained at all costs in Malaysia for the following reasons (all are my personal humble opinions, of course)

1) Park Joo Bong laid the foundation for our MD pairs. We saw an improvement in the MDs but Park was not "firm" enough. Then came Rexy. He came from a successful stint in England and his relative coaching inexperience has been "blooded" in UK. Now we see the success of our MDs. I am very pleasantly surprised to see Zakry and partner make the final of Indo Open. Hence if he could "rescue" this pair back from the path of descent, Rexy should be capable of more.

2) He gains immense respect from his charges. I noticed that Zakry after every point he would look to Rexy for his reaction. i feel that all our players would benefit from such a "fatherly" coach.

3) Rexy has experience playing with or against quite a lot of current players on the professional circuit. thus he would know their strengths and weaknesses which he can share with his charges. In addition, during his playing career, rexy could switch partners with relative ease and still decimate opponents. All these abilities make Rexy a strict-in-discipline but flexible-in-adversity coach. A formidable combination. I remember the time he partnered Tony G as a "scratch" pair yet they, quoting the commentator "tore the Chinese to shreds" in a thomas cup match. Throughout the match, he was giving advice and contantly encouraging the young Tony G then. I would never forget that match and Rexy's stabilising influence.

I hope BAM would appreciate the value of Rexy and keep him at all costs. Could i ask ants for a favour? :)
    Ants, if you meet with Rexy, could you tell him that an ardent fan of him would like to thank him very much for what he has done for Malaysian Badminton. thanks in advance.

Hope I do not offend anyone with this lengthy post....bordering on slur :)

Elvin

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    That's why Rexy is smart, he pushes all to his wife who claims falling in love with Malaysia :D This is not the 60s, "Don't ask what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for the country?"
    Malaysia boleh, satay boleh, roti planta boleh, kopi-0 boleh, rojak bolek, nasi lemak boleh, goreng pisang boleh, ..... Rexy boleh :D

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So you said it yourself. The house needs cleaning up. Is Rexy the coach or the cleaner? Being the cleaner means a person willing to take on management and politics - not coaching.

13. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    i totally agree!!!!!!:D.....hihi

14. aindro

aindro Regular Member

IT programmer
    Imagine how come a man who is the governor of Jakarta (the capital of Indonesia) who had so many plans with busway, monorail, megapolitan etc, and so many problems with flood, garbage etc, is the head of PBSI at the same time.
    Don't forget that he holds also a position in Persija (Jakarta prefessional soccer team), as Pembina (Guardian).
    Does he have more than 24 hours a day ??

15. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    this sutiyoso guy i think is too narrow minded.U cant say that they're not improving because they didnt won.Sometimes,there are also matters caused by over pressurized.Also,points that i believe is that PBSI is like a "worse barn"..that couldnt keep their horse happy,then results in leave-out.Shouldn't they be happy enough since they still have good talented players to play for them,even though they got much less money than they should've earned.System,the players payment,and each player's treated equally r some of the most important factors to keep the good horses stays,and also improve.Not from blaming because of losing,or even kick them out.PBSI really dont want that to happend again.In my place alone,there are like 5 famous coaches that came back from indo,even as we know that back in those days,indo is still much richer than china were.The reason is quite simple,they didnt really got a well treatment back in indo.Up to today,they have produced alot of successfull 'students'.So,u dont wanna throw them away,thinking that they're nothing,but finally,regretting something that u've done wrong,and hope for them to come back to u.

For the indo players that PBSI interested,even though there's some terms in political issue that enable them to call the players back..remember,aint no good outcome from an unhappy man.Let's say rexy's back,but i'm not sure that he can coach indo as well as he coach malay.Unless he felt much happier to be back,n then do his best,then the result maybe different.

Oh yeah,just for addition,indo really needs some good coaching in WS/WD..indo like being coma at these games.How about Susi.S?Is she still active in PBSI?n for double,they can try for Tampi/Finarsih?

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Hey,(sorry if this intro is quite rough)Nick.h,u are not malaysian neither indo.Please don't bother our bussiness.rexy will be back to indo.It is his country.Do not doubt his patriotism.Give malaysia a chance to have him for now.

17. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Hey,(sorry if this intro is quite rough)Nick.h,u are not malaysian neither indo.Please don't bother our bussiness.rexy will be back to indo.It is his country.Do not doubt his patriotism.Give malaysia a chance to have him for now.

18. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    dude I know this Nick guy personally and he is Indo...so dun just judge ppl by location.............we might be in UK but our heart is with Indo always........

PBSI should forget bout Rexy now since Rexy has no more heart for us....If he wants to be a Malaysian so be it

This is a lesson for PBSI.......I really think PBSI should start new experiment.....sack Bandar Sigit Pamungkas cos he is nothing but trouble....since kido-setiawan moved to him they got less sharper and then Luluk-Alven was also in decline during his period....well Candra Wijaya maybe a worthwile experiment as he would be extra disciplined just like Rexy.....

so this is what I propose

MD coaches:

Herry IP (with Kido-setiawan n Luluk-Alven)
    Candra Wijaya (with Hendra-Joko and other juniors)
    Richard (work with junior players)

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Cheung, you misunderstood me!!!!

By cleaning the house, meaning that from adminstration, structure, management, all should be in place and free of poltics, etc.....It is nothing to do with Rexy beiang the coach or cleaner...I think Indo has many potential coaches from former players...it is just needed to be done or approached by a better way....

20. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    Personally I think Candra would make a good coach......he has Rexy's style of extra disciplined....so if I may propose a solution other than Rexy like a short term ones then Candra is the deal....he should coach the MD........so maybe Kido-Setiawan or Riyadi-Gunawan should work under him see how it goes...well we'll see