Yi Jianlian

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), May 12, 2007.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Jianlian

I remember when the club I play at had an international open a couple guys from China who's passports said they were 16 came. They looked like they were in their 20s and dominated everyone.
    Seems like the new NBA chinese draft pick may have the same. He looks strong! I think he could be a big new presence in the NBA. He looks faster and stronger than Yao Ming! The question is can he shoot and hwo long will it take him to get used to the pace in the NBA.

2. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    Most likely a mirror image of how Yao Ming started in the NBA. Guess depends on which team he gets drafted into and how the team is gonna handle him.

It is great to see more and more asians getting drafted and playing in the NBA. ;)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, Yao Ming is 7'6, but Yi JL is "only" :D 7 or 7'1. The extra 5 inches or so, gives YM a big advantage to begin with. However, 7 or 7'1 is not un-common in NBA, which might require Yi JL some extra work to even survive. ;)

Of course, the reason to draft Yi JL (same as YM) is not purely the skill. They carry huge market value along. Just imagine over 25% of the world population willing to turn on their TV, and cheer for you. :rolleyes:

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yi Jianlian and Yao Ming are too different types of players. Yi is too "skinny" to be a center. He is more likely to be a power forward.

I 100% agree with Lazybuddy, NBA teams wants Yao and Yi's market values way more than their skill. Even Yao and Yi are highly skilled, they still lack the leadership and confidence like Shaq and Tim Duncan. I expect teams will higher Chinese population will be very interested like LA, Toronto, Oakland, ....

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..the Lakers are in need of a center...maybe da kid can make it here and hoop it up with #24..;) :cool:

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lakers is always a special case.

On one hand, the large Asian population do have a point to put Yi on the court. However, Yi can't immediately bring impact in this highly competitive western conference. Therefore, does Kobe wants to waste another 3-4 years to try and pray for Yi to at become Yao's current level? Mostly, no. Kobe wants a championship to prove that he can do it without Shaq. A rookie in Yi will make it far more difficult than a proven player such as J. O'neal or KG. Sure KG will cost a lot of more than Yi. However, LAL never worries about $$$. Also, KG himself has a huge market behind as well.

If I am the manager, I will mostly bet on KG or JO rather than Yi. A sign and trade for KG, and save the pick (or, trade down) on some decent role players to accomplish the 2 super stars. Then, it will make the "wild wild west" to have 1 more reason to rock. ;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Okay, hoops talk now...

...hehe, since we're talking Lakers & hoops, alright..:p
    Yes, they could possibly do all those things you wrote above and i think they could get both KG & Yi JL(there are quite a few other big men ie. Oden, Durant, Horford in the mix as well):p;) ..Personally though, i would prefer KG over JO, simply for talent and injury factors. They can try to package players & drafts for KG, but it will be a tough sell for Mitch Kupchak to Kevin McHale(salaries). As for Yi JL, they can trade their draft picks to get him and hope another team bites:p. As far as role players are concerned, they're harder to get; thus i personally would get veteran/experienced/proven players, instead of rookies-D-Fish is a player they(Lakers) surely missed the last couple of seasons.
    I can foresee the Lakers having this lineup, KG & #24, together for the title run and Yi JL donning the Purple & Gold for the future;):):p:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#7 ctjcad, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Kobe is one of the most selfish players. There is no way Shaq will go back to LA. KG knows it also. KG is one of the best all-round players. But is he willing to let Kobe shooting bricks 50 times a game? I doubt if any super stars want to play with Kobe. Kobe can only have blue-collar hardworking defensive players as his team-mates. I think Yi should be a good fix.

9. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

I want muggsy bogues to represent the short ppl

#9 Double_Player, May 17, 2007
    Last edited: May 17, 2007
  10. Eurasian =--(O)

Earl Boykins is 5'2 i think. Hes tiny! He used to play for the nuggets but got traded... dont remember to who right now.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    MIL Bucks. ;) Surely missed his playing. Watching him shooting the 7 footers just can't stop me laughing. ;)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

1. Look at Kobe's teammates (besides Odom, but he's always have injuries), do you want Kobe to take 50 shots, or you want S. Parker or Walton to share the 50 shots? :eek:

2. Once you are in a bad team (Kobe, A.I.) you need to take over the game. If you think you have better chance than your teammate, shoot it. The wolves might win several more games, if KG can be a bit more "selfish". :cool:

3. Not joining Kobe in LA? Are you crazy consider the market, and the good chance to be able to win the championship??? Of course, how to balance out the salary to not hurt the roles player (i.e. benches) might be a bit tricky. :rolleyes:

4. Most of the imported players are knowny for their offense power, but surely not the D. Against stronger, taller and faster opponents, they will be struggle to make a stop. It takes Yao almost 2 seasons to be at least acceptable in D, and don't forget he's 7'6.

13. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

I think the best team is still chicago bulls in the 90s pipen, rodman, jordan...

I was a big fan of houston rockets untill they went sucks...lol

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Best individual - no other but Michael Jordan. Legend.

Best duo/team - I must make a mention of my favourite point guard of all time, John Stockton and his partner the Karl 'the Mailman' Malone.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Okay, more Lakers & hoops talk..

..both points by Qidong and LazyBuddy are quite true-it depends on how one looks at the current situation..Remember also, this is coach Jackson's last season in his 3-yr contract. So, unless something drastic happens to their(Lakers) team's roster, expect to see Jackson coach his last season this coming fall..:p..Btw, LazyBuddy, just curious, are you a Lakers' fan but transplanted in the East Coast(you seem to know a bit of info on the Lakers)..hehe:p:);)

16. Eurasian =--(O)

kobe is such a fan favorite. hes probably the equivalent of Taufik in the NBA

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am no more a LAL fan after the 80's "show time". Magic was the one always brought me to my feet and cheer (screaming) when it's already 1am. :p

I am not a die hard fan for any particular team, but more for the players. Somehow, I like the play makers, such as Magic, J. Stockton, Kidd, Nash, etc. ;)