Smash Speed measurements

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by likeahcild, Apr 11, 2007.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Very kewl pic by the way. Perhaps we could use this technology for good , instead of evil -- like taking pix of shuttles at impact and immediately after stringbed contact. Perhaps we can see the way a nylon shuttle deforms as opposed to a feather shuttle. Could also see how long it takes for both types of shuttles to turn around after contact.

Am also wondering how soon after contact, the shuttle accelerates to its max velocity -- it would violate the laws of physics for it to be instantaneous. It must take some fintie amount of time -- albeit something on the order or a few milliseconds, methinks.

3. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Could be radar

Was this the 2005 worlds at Anaheim, CA? I saw an Aussie crew use a radar-like system there. The 'guns' were cylinders about 4 inches in diameter and 8 to 10 inches long, set up behind the back line on tall poles. I was doing court-side statistics and sometimes shared a card table with the guy operating the equipment using a laptop. They had another crew in a van outside full of stuff to make the sensors work and gather the data. The setup produced several readings over 140 miles an hour and a few at 180 that I saw.

My table mate and I were both busy most of the time so I couldn't ask many questions, but I did find out that they captured every shot and only reported those over 90 mph. During tests before the tournament they got a smash a bit over 200 mph according to people who were there.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Marshall - yeah, the genesis system as I understand it uses a two sensor approach.

They had some readings at the recent worlds also and were touting some new, more accurate system with a couple shots arounf the 300 km/h mark.

5. Ken Persson

Ken Persson New Member

Part time stringer
    BUMP!

Are there new and improved gadgets in 2022?
    What Speed Gun or other device do i buy for my local badminton Club to have fun and measure smash speeds?
    The Stalker Sport Gun only measures up to 150 mph which is not enough for badminton even though it seems to be accurate at what it can do.
    About 1000 dollars should be the limit for this Club.

Thank You!

Simeon likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

Is it possible to use super high frame rate video (eg. 1000 fps) to analyze and estimate the shuttle speed?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I don't think that 1000fps is necessary, most likely 100fps (10 ms steps) would be enough. You only need this high time resolution after the impact, but otherwise you would although need a very high pixel densitiy to measure the distance between different frames. So, measuring the speed after the shuttle already traveled 1m would be easier and accurate enough with lower fps. I'm sure, that when you know the impact point and the velocity after 1m , that you can calculate the speed at impact time.

The real issue is a 2D image of a 3D scene, so that if the shuttle does not fly parallel to the camera , then the measurement would be inaccurate. So a more reliable setup would be atleast 2 cameras , better would be 3, and some software to create a 3d scene from the different perspectives.

Kowalski, Woesi and visor like this.
  8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Let's assume we want to measure a velocity of 200km/h, which is well within what's possible at a good, but far from professional level.

200km/h * 1000m/km / 3600s/h = 2000m/36s = 55,5555... m/s

That means at 200km/h the shuttle travels with more than 50m per second.

So in 1/100 second it's still half a meter, which might be enough resolution to make an estimation, but to make sure that you can always compare the same moment (right after the impact), going up to 1/1000 is probably necessary or at least advisable.

Also, you'll need that shutter speed anyway to get a kinda clear picture of the shuttle.

And then the 2D protection of a 3D world... just for fun and for straight smashes, you could get a decent estimation with just one camera, I guess. You "just" need to get as far away from the court as possible (long lens, less light ...) and it might not be too far off from reality.

thyrif likes this.
  9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

CK Yew has already done this in his video.

thyrif and Kowalski like this.