Aviva Open Singapore 2007

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by Loh, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Loh is well versed about Singapore. I once told him that he can be a Singapore tour guide since he knows so much about his own country.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm very sorry if you have misunderstood me. There was no intention to put your country in such a bad light as suggested. Certainly no personal attack is intended. As you may know, X Ball, others and I have been entertaining ourselves in this forum. Sometimes our verbal game may have intensified a pitch higher than normal and may have caused undue misunderstandings. Don't be alarmed. We can't do more than expressing our views.

If you ask me, Malaysia is a good example of the three different major races mingling together and living peacefully, despite some differences. There is give and take. This is what Singapore has been trying to do and still seeking answers to many sensitive issues in particular.

Frankly we can all learn the best from each other, certainly not just one way street. This has been Singapore's experience as without natural resources but just human capital, Singapore cannot do it other way. We are just too small to try to act big and boastful, but we need to think big in order to achieve better results. As a small country, unfortunately we have to work much harder than others to achieve the desired results. Otherwise we will sink into oblivion! Others don't owe us a living.

Neither do we want to be bullied just because we are small sized. Indeed humility is a good opener to whatever resources we want to get into. Otherwise, no one will want to help us to progress further. No way can Singapore be bigger than Malaysia, rest assured.

So please don't hold any grudges against me or my country. Our door is always open to those who want to make friends with us and help us grow. As far as I know, Singapore's foreign policy has always been a friend to all as far as possible and an enemy to none. It concerns our very own survival as a small nation. We will try to make living conditions in Singapore as pleasant as possible to the visitor or resident and indeed much has gone into making our environment and public facilities as good as possible and this is a continuing exercise.

So please visit us, even for a short while. You're most welcome! :)

#122 Loh, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Loh, if you are trying to be an ambassador to your country, don't !:) Don't give up your day job, or..............retirement! :) LOL

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well I thought you were selling your country not too long ago when you spoke of some of Malaysia's attractiveness! Aren't you an ambassador of sorts? :D

5. carine

carine Regular Member

anyon3 know who is th3 winn3r last y3ar of MS,MD,WS,WD n XD?

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hi Loh, it is all cool now, water under the bridge.

I have lots of good things to say about Sing, no doubt. Also, despite being in the UK for the last decade, I go home to KL very often and every single time, I go to Sing to visit my sister. The general feeling i get is it is a good place to be if you are earning an above average wage. Certainly, the stability and safety is great.

In KL, it is also stable, but crime is high because income disparity is quite big, and coupled with illegals who do not have as much to loose as locals, the crime rate is therefore high. Do not underestimate the number of places you can hide in a country like Malaysia, where the borders to Thailand is also very open, criminals can disappear very easily like ghosts, and that's why it is much much harder to nail these guys.

Anyway, I have been to sing about a hundred times, and will continue to go no matter what.

7. guttayelan

guttayelan Regular Member

dear players:

this time the top indian players are not allowed to participate in this aviva singapore open by their association which never did good for any players right from its inception...

this has made us more determined to fight this kind of association..

we are fighting and will continue to fight...

pls read this post regularly..

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#128 ctjcad, Apr 25, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you, my friend. :)

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Loh, you are a good man. So it is not necessary for me to 'stir up' too much, especially when I incur long replies from you. You enjoy your SIN Open and score new friendships with those attending. If I do make it, I promise to buy you a satay or two (even though it costs me double in Singapore)..hahaha.

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I think the proper word for to use when describing the crime rate here is 'higher compared to Singapore City' rather than 'high' as it seems to imply that the city is the crime capital of the world without some numbers to back it up. Furthermore it is probably a lot more appropriate to mention that the numbers are higher at urban centres such as KL.

Well well, we're no different to the United States of A, heh? Mexico, Los Angeles etc...

Malaysia Boleh, I tells yer. ;)

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Singapore is still cheap compare to other countries like Europe , Korea or Japan. But personally i love Singapore and i still love the country. I used to go there every year for Christmas when i was younger.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    And Christmas, together with the New Year in Singapore, gets better by the year! Celebration parties and fireworks! :)

Visit our famous Orchard Road during Christmas and you will understand better what I mean. ;)

And during the Christmas and New Year period, the entertainment spots, particularly new ones like The Ministry of Sound and St James Power Station, apart from our world renowed Zouk, Sentosa and the many international hotels, will host numerous colourful and exciting events to spoil the visitor and patron! :D

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Well I do agree that Orchard Road looks nice during Xmas. However i realised nowadays the road doesnt look as nice in terms of the decos compare to years ago where it used to look more colorful and Big huge decors.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-I also heard..

..even the shopping centers in and around Orchard Rd. are packed wall to wall, esp. @ Takashimaya and those large malls..Some tourists(and even a few of my acquaintances) from other countries, who were spending their Christmas and New Year's holidays in S'pore, even found it difficult to shop and buy any items with the mass of people going elbow to elbow and bumper to bumper, rushing in & out with their purchases; some even complained as most of the items they were looking to purchase were either gone or been left with nothing much to choose from...One thing they have to say: Christmas & New Year's holiday is definitely not a good time to visit & shop @ Orchard Rd..:eek: :( :p ;)

#135 ctjcad, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ah, but you guys are shopping for the "wrong" things, things that everyone else wants. I go to SG often too, with my auto club mates, we congregate at spare parts shops (cheaper than MY even after conversion) n mingle with our SG brethen often.

Just returned from the "Phantom" experience .....

17. ants

ants Regular Member

U had a ride in the New Rolls Royce? or the Old Bentely? I love their on board sound system and the Champagne cabinet. HEhe too bad i'm not an Auto car person. Just like cars but no knowledge in them. hehehe..

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Clarke Quay and Reverse Bungy Jump

We do have the Reverse Bungy Jump at one end of Clarke Quay, next to the Singapore River.

Clarke Quay has been transformed from old warehouses and two-and-three-storey shophouses into a rather pleasant and exciting entertainment hub, complemented with both indoor and outdoor eateries alongside the Singapore river. "Outdoors" may not be the best word to describe it now as the rows of open lanes and streets within its compound are now covered by giant hi-tec transparent umbrellas to shut out the sun and rain and to keep the place comfortable with cool air and mist emitted from time to time.

A new music, bar and wine joint,The Ministry of Sound which occupies a relatively large space, will tantalized the eyes with its ambience and psychedelic lighting treatment within, not unlike that for the now defunct Crazy Horse that stood just a short distance away at the beginning of the year. I dare say Clarke Quay has now surpasssed even Boat Quay further up the river for its entertainment, alfresco dining and general atmosphere.

But there is also Robertson Quay, from similar humble beginnings as both Boat and Clarke Quays, which forms the third part of the Singapore River further inwards that will also be given the same facelift. Time will tell how RQ will turn out to be! Hopefully, it will be slightly different with unique niches to fill.

Now Singapore is no more dull and grey. It will be alive, vibrant and active with the young and matured enjoying themselves in the evenings, particularly after a hard day's work! :)

Attached Files:

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Do you mean "Phantom of the Opera" that Broadway musical still showing at the Esplanade? I was there last Friday. ;)

On second thoughts, I don't think you mean that.

#139 Loh, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Didn't I tell you physical size is a problem in tiny Singapore?
    But I'm sure the owners don't mind such scenes repeating year after year and the registers go on ringing incessantly! :D :p :)