Aviva Open Singapore 2007

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by Loh, Mar 22, 2007.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Hahaha, good man. If I make it I will --- I may go as early as next week for biz.

2. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Wah, Loh, after reading your post my saliva is dripping all over work table now. Can get you to "ta pau" all the above and DHL over or not. :p

Anyway, hope all you guys have a great time and remember to post many many pics soon.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Arghh...don't remind me of the food....miss the satay...:rolleyes:

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, sounds tempting..

...X Ball, go lah, what's the wait;) ...Loh has already put forth some tempting & appetizing menu for the get-together...Even BadFever and badMania are tempted to go, just by Loh's description of the foods..:p :D :cool:
    *Btw, Loh, yes, please take pics of the get-together meal, just like last yr..:):cool:

#64 ctjcad, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

hahaha, you think I don't want to go -- I like eating at the Lau Pa Sat? I am a bit busy sometimes but if work permits, I will go. I get as big a thrill as anyone else watching the game.

I go to Singapore from KL frequently --- if I go, don't mind me joining.

6. yannie

yannie Regular Member

It's okay Loh and X-Ball, I knew it was too good to be true :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lau Pa Sat Splendour

This famous steel market place of old, Lau Pa Sat, is now a splendid place for hawker fare and unique cuisines both served indoors and outdoors, alfresco style. In the evening, an adjacent road will be closed to motorized traffic to allow for dining under the skies.

Food prices are most reasonable but one has to bear the humidity, especially in the afternoons, as there is no airconditioning. LPS was specially built to allow natural airflow but with the addition of high ceiling fans to ease the heat within its compound. The wrought iron panels were specially imported from Scotland during the early British colonial days as the technology was not available in the region. Its architecture is a beauty of sorts and difficult to replicate.

I hope our BC members can congregate here to have a taste of not only the great variety of food but also the beautiful iron and steel structure. It is a convenient meeting place.

Attached Files:

8. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    LI Yongbo said ZN and BCL is not in good form now because of injury.
    So, I think CY can beat BCL this time if they both get through to the 1/4 finals.
    Also, if ZHOU Mi can overcome WANG Lin, she may beat ZN.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Boat Quay and Raffles Place

Having shown you a bird's eye view of the Singapore River, Boat Quay and the Civic District, I will now bring you down to ground level for some snap shots of the neighbourhood, a locality that I'm very familiar with since I've been working there for many years.

Attached Files:

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Raffles Place

Two exits of the Raffles Place MRT(underground train) station lead commuters out to the refreshing open square that is surrounded by impressive buildings for offices, restaurants and shopping.

This is the financial district of Singapore which will latter be moved to nearby Shenton Way where the future Financial Hub located nearer to the Integrated Resorts at Marina Bay will be sited.

Attached Files:

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-So, just curious..

...what will happen to the current financial district once it's relocated to Shenton Way??..Will there be 2 financial districts in S'pore??..:confused:

#71 ctjcad, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Wow, after seeing all these wonderful high rise building, I have to say my home town Malacca is still a "bit" behind :D

13. bocmark

bocmark Regular Member

Hey! How come no one extend special invitation to LI De Quan! As far as I can tell, the staunch and unwavering CHN supporter. ;) It'll be good to see the clash of titans (MAS v CHN fans) in live... :D:D:D If it does happen, LOH pls take some photos

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Malacca has a certain 'old world' charm and many Singaporeans like to visit for short weekend trips. Not a few like to browse around the antique shops and sample the local hawker fare plus the peranakan cuisines. The Portuguese influence is quite prevalent.

In addition, modern hotels and shopping centres make the place more familiar with visitors. :)

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Actually in future the banks and other financial institutions will converge near Marina Ba area, off Shenton Way, where the Sands Integrated Resorts will be located, as you can see from the map.

But I think the relocation will probably take quite some time (in year) since some of the banks, mainly local, have their own buildings around Raffles Place and leases may be on a longer term for others.

Attached Files:

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Got to say something, Singapore is too crowded and will become even more so in years to come as it increases its population.

I still think Malaysia is a better place to live in. Sorry.

I will retire in Australia, the lucky country.

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with that, and cost is lower in Malaysia. My sister and her husband just bought a linked house in Singapore for over a million dollars, and they are staring at a huge loan for the next 30 years of their lives (they both have good jobs BTW).

For that money, you can buy a nice big house or 3 luxury apartments in seri hartamas, one for yourself, and 2 rented out to expats.

Anyway, back to badminton please :)

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

You'll make a good investment officer !:)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Okay, thanks for the info..

..i see, thanks for sharing that...Looks like S'pore is changing its image in the next few yrs w/ so many new developments..:cool:
    Abt S'pore being crowded w/ so many people and properties being expensive, of course it will be and i think it goes w/ the living cost & standard also. Same story here in the U.S., esp. in big metropolitan cities like L.A., S.F., Chicago and of course N.Y. in comparison to smaller midwest/central/southeast U.S. cities. One can't compare the living cost and standard of those hussling & bustling metro-hubs to smaller, less populated cities/areas/towns.;)

#79 ctjcad, Apr 23, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    High rises are not signs of progress or modernity - it's the sign of the rising costs of land! :)