Advantages Of hand grippers

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jas1121, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Whats the advantages of using hand grippers in badminton?What muscle does it develops? i saw a coach having one.

a hand gripper is something like that(below) if you dont know what it is.

Attached Files:

#1 jas1121, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i've read somewhere in the forum that it strengthens your wrist muscle?
    btw, do you have 1to1 coaching in kuching?

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    It exercises the muscles & tendons and the forearm and hand. It may or may not help with quick finger squeezing techniques used in badminton. I've heard that pro tennis players never use full grip strength for their volleys or other strokes. When they squeeze the grip as they accelerate the racket, they use about half grip strength. I suspect that something similar is true for badminton.

NE1 else have thoughts on this?

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

personally i find that quite difficult (although i havent tried it), as the racket may fly out of your hand.

5. vivian kon

vivian kon Regular Member

students
    it is to build-up wrist and arm strength. its ideal for stress reduction also.and.. prevent ppl from sleeping in class(referring to jas1121)

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    What is it that you find difficult? Duznt take much grip strength at all to hold on to a racket, even for a smash.

7. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

could be just psychological, systemicanomaly

8. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    in my opinion. it can help you. this is use to strengthen your forearm muscles/tendons, which benefits your grip, and also your wrist.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Forearm and Finger Strength Training

In about one week, I will post photos of the gripper and other forearm tools recommended by Master Dan.

10. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I look forward to seeing that. My own list includes: squash racket (plus cover), badminton training racket (plus cover), Powerball, and the Gripmaster (see below).

I posted about the Gripmaster a while ago, I am surprised no one else to my knowledge has advocated it on BC. Guitarists use to improve their finger strength (er, no one else here has learnt or tried to learn to play the guitar?) -- it should be equally useful for badminton players, especially helpful for shots that require finger strength such as tumbling net shots and net push/flick shots.

Attached Files:

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    not wrist, forearm muscle. wrist is a joint

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

so where does power for flick shots come from?

13. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    down to the most basic level, all power comes from the forearm. add in abdominal and core muscles and shoulder for full shots. in flick shots, it's all in the forearm.

if anyone's gonna say it's finger power, let me tell you this, the finger is connected to the forearm muscles, so any power coming from "fingers" is really forearm :D

14. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I know you mean to say that the force is primarily generated by the contraction of the muscles in the forearm, but do you hold the racket with the fingers or the forearm? The fingers are still the "channel" by which the force is imparted.

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i guess but by saying that, it's like saying the a flower floating in the river is caused by the current of the river, but it's actually caused by the current of the WATER :) we have to remind ourselves where it the power comes from, not what medium is transfering that power, in that case, a river bed

16. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    Oh well we're talking past each other here. llpjlau asked where the power for flick shots comes from, which would be the forearm muscles, whereas I was more focused on the role of the fingers in *how* to perform the flick shot. You won't say the medium is unimportant in this case, will you?

But in your opinion: do you think forearm muscular strength will be improved by incorporating exercises that make more pronounced use of the fingers? Do you think the exercises will benefit one's badminton strokes?

#16 tkteo, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  17. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    for hand grippers, no not really. the reason is hand grippers are for building muscle, as they are used in slow repetitive exercises. (let's face it, no one can go really fast with hand grippers. if you can, go box against Tyson or something :D) while these exercises are good for muscle, they do not simulate real life badminton, where the stroke is over in less than 0.25 of a second. so, you want to to exercises which train your muscles to fire faster and faster. it's about the "explosiveness" with which your forearm can lash out. so hand grippers are good for adding to your smash, to get a good smash, do stuff which is fast reps of low strength stuff. if it was all muscle, the Arnie would own up Fu Haifeng, but Fu's forearm is much smaller, yet all his muscles fire faster, and a higher rate and with more full percentage of achievable power.

good exercises are, the good old, grab a racquet, stick the cover on, and pronate and suprinate as fast as possible for 1 minute repeat several times. work other arm so muscle is not imbalanced. one you can do anywhere is just tap your index finger fast as you can for as long as you can. sounds easy but it's not!

in conclusion(sounds like i'm doing an essay here!!) it's more important to train your muscles to respond faster than it is for strength. strength training is supplementary for those who have already got an explosive action.

18. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    This may very well be so.

Badminton shuttle velocites off the stringbed are about 30-40% faster than tennis ball speeds. So it is probably safe to say the badminton racket head speeds are also somewhat faster than tennis racket head speeds.

However, tennis rackets have much more inertia to contend with -- they weigh 300-400% more than badminton rackets. The ball also has more much more mass than a shuttle. Heavy spins and off-center hits put quite a bit of torque on a tennis racket than is ever seen with a badminton racket.

The bottom line is that, if half grip strength is suitable for pro tennis players, it is probably much more than adequate for badminton.

I can see where this can be useful for guitarists -- some of those more challenging chords might require it. Does the Gripmaster also help you with finger speed?

If so, then it might be useful for fast guitar leads and perhaps for quick finger techniques in badminton as well.

I may be wrong, but I think that the muscle types that most benefit many badminton actions are the 2 common fast-twitch varieties -- type IIa and type IIb. The IIb fibers are the fastest ones, the ones with the most explosive power. Type IIa fibers are a little slower, but still pretty fast. These fibers possess more more endurance than the IIb fibers.

If the Gripmaster works these types of fibers, then it might be worthwhile for badminton. Theory aside, how does it seem to be working for you?

19. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

so to have a stronger flick... you have to build on your forearm muscles?
    i've seen a 14 year old kid who can use a flick serve to the baseline (as high as a low serve and as deep)

20. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Yes, this is correct. The term "wrist muscles", used by many posters on the BC forum is pretty much a misnomer. Wrist anatomy consists primarily of bones, cartilage & ligaments. Tendons, nerves and blood vessels also cross the wrist to control the hand & fingers. Most of the muscles that controls wrist and hand movements are located in the forearm.

eorthopod.com/public/patient_education/6607/wrist_anatomy.html

Correct, for the most part. Many wrist, hand & finger actions are controlled by various extrinsic muscle groups of the forearm. Connections to the hand are via long tendons that run from the forearm thru the wrist. The hand also contains 3 groups of intrinsic muscles for controlling some movements of the thumb & fingers. (Not yet clear to me exactly which types of finger motions are controlled by extrinsic forearm muscles & which motions are controlled by the intrinsic groups).

dartmouth.edu/~anatomy/wrist-hand/muscles/index.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand

Great essay here, Shifty. I don't really know if it is absolutely 100% accurate, but it very well could be. I'll give you an A for this assignment.