Will Restringing ONE String Help???

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Angelofstorm, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Angelofstorm

Angelofstorm Regular Member

Badminton Fanatic
    Hi all,
    I recently (today) snapped one of my mended strings during my private lesson. This broken string was a factory string that already snapped before and was nursed back to health by my Coach. Today after I broke it, I went to Sport Chek to get some new strings (which I've been wanting to do for a long time). I bought a pack of BG-65Ti for ~$16.00 CDN. Then my Dad told me he'd help me fix my ONE broken string by himself (he has no past stringing experiences but he usually fixes everything he attempts which gives him a cocky, stubborn attitude). I wanted to give it to my Coach to string because then he can just do it for free and professionally.
    Will restringing that one broken string actually work and/or help? What do I do, I don't want to hurt my Dad's feelings but I also don't want him to string it since he doesn't know how to.

Thanks~
    Jason

2. nwong

nwong Regular Member

I assume that the "one broken string" that you're referring to means you broke either the horizontal or vertical strings on your racquet. I'm not sure if fixing one string will help, but I'm sure that without the proper equipment that you'd be playing with an unknown and probably unsuitable tension. Give it to your coach or professional stringer at all costs if you want to keep your racquet safe and be able to play comfortably.

3. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    Vertical string broke and my Dad's not going to be pleased when I tell him I wanna go to a professional instead.

4. nwong

nwong Regular Member

Explain to him what "Tension" is and
    -how it has to be customized to each player's game,
    -howthat without the proper equipment that he can't achieve your suitable tension
    -how badly you will play and depressed you will become as a result of playing badly because you can't hit the birdie far or hard enough as a result of the tension

Tension basically allows you to vary a birdie's distance travelled with a certain amount of effort.

5. tcyc1984

tcyc1984 Regular Member

Just tell your dad that if its not done properly, he will waste his time, the string, and possibly kill the racquet! To make him feels better, tell him that you are a big boy now and u can fix it by yourself. I guess he will be glad that his son has grown up and know how to deal with problems by himself ;)

$16 for a pack of 68Ti.. its way overpriced.. anyways, if your coach can do it for you for free, why don't you just restring your whole racquet? If you don't know the tension of your old string (probably the tension is lowered after some games) and add a new one string with another tension, probably the racuqet head will deform or crack when you mishit? Coincidently, just today the main string of my racquet broke, and I cut the whole thing immediately cause its not safe to let the remaining string to stay there and possibly it will damage the racquet over time. IMO its ot worth to risk the racquet just to save a little piece of string, you will have to change it once every 1-2 months anyways.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's 65ti, wayyy overpriced.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

tell ur dad, 'i like u repair my racket but if u break it, can u buy me a NS9000?' ;)

8. tcyc1984

tcyc1984 Regular Member

lol sorry my bad, if I knew that it was a 65Ti, I would say that it was a highway robbery =)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

can u return the 65ti to sportcheck? lots of stringers here have loose piece for free (65,66,70,80,85,68, too) if u provide mailing cost.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I think you should restring the whole racket instead of further patchings. And yes, the BG-65Ti is way way overpriced.

11. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Sport Chek is known to be expensive for product that's not in high demand...

12. Angelofstorm

Badminton Fanatic
    Everything at Sport Chek is overpriced.

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) restring the whole racquet.
    2) by patch the string, the string bed is uneven and it will take a hit on the performance.
    3) because the uneven tension, it will cuse the frame to snap.