backhand power and smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by calvin91, Apr 9, 2007.

1. calvin91

calvin91 Regular Member

fghgh
    i never seem to be able to get enough power/accuracy in my backhand, let alone smashing.( backhand as in i am facing away from the net, and wanting to swing my racket towards the net')

im sure i have the power to, but it seems as if my wrists don't mvoe very freely when on my backhand.

currently, hold my racket with my index finger vertical on straight on the cone area, as my old teacher had taught me. however, we i do hold it like that when swinging back, it feel the my finger gets in the way:confused:
    i seem to get more power when i hold it like a fist, no finger sticking out
    so is ther any tehnique to hold the racket or move your wrist in a certian way to get full power?
    also, i was curious as to what is the porper way to hold the racket

with my finger vertical, i get the least power forehand (not sure bout backhand)
    when like a fist, i get a little more power
    i get most power with my index finger hooked at the right side of the shaft (which another person had taught me)

2. nwong

nwong Regular Member

You should NEVER have your index finger anywhere on the cone; the misconception that it provides more power, where infact power mostly comes from the wrist. Putting your index finger on the cone impedes on power generation from the wrist and arm. Get rid of that habit or you may break your index finger. You shoud also lecture the teacher that taught you to do that as its one of the first things that kids are taught NOT to do when playing badminton.

The proper way to hold the racquet is more of a "loose handshake" grip than a tightly clenched fist as you need to change grips often to accommodate different shots. For backhand shots, power is generated from your thumb, fingers, wrist, and much less so, the arm. Correct backhand grips can be found somewhere on the forum, so use the search function.

#2 nwong, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

theres a grip guide in this forum too :p

4. Tim[PHS]

Tim[PHS] Regular Member

Student
    i greatly increased my backhand power w/ the proper grip

5. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

for backhand it's mainly your thumb that generates the power, although the arm and body rotation also gives power. a Proper backswing and follow through is important, watch how the pros do it. Even not many pros can do a backhand smash effectively, so I wouldn't worry about that and just try to be able to clear the length of the court. However you should definitely get your grip sorted first, it's the most basic of basics.

6. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    i would like to ask. how fast does this body rotation has to be? i recorded myself and i finally noticed. wow my body rotate is so slow. Does this rotation need to be as fast as possible? or just the rotation is good enough.

7. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

another misconception is that its mostly wrist... last time i checked, supination and pronation of the forearm isn't got anything to do with the wrist.

your thumb doesn't even have to do much either in some backhand shots.
    backhand drives perhaps, but with backhand clears, the grip is almost the same as the standard forehand clear...

and you can think of your backhand swing as a reverse process of the forehand. just do the entire motion in reverse order...

worry about transfer of body weight later.
    correct the grip and stroke technique first. there will be lots of time to work on power after the technique is adequate.

use of fingers is also cool and all, but it'll only complicate things now. worry about finger power later when you deal with power.

#7 chickenpoodle, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  8. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

I searched through aboout 20 pages.
    apparently I overlook it or its so far back.
    I really need to learn my backhand grip and stuff as well.

9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=WedgeBC

This link has been posted before...

I think you will need to watch episode 1, both parts.
    This former champ has some excellent tips to keep in mind.

Its interesting to see the different styles of play from different regions of the world.

As you practice your back hand more often, you will get more strength in your wrist/fingers thus generate more power, and have a more concise shot in the end.

Edit: Thanks to Wedge & TTKEO for working on these by the way, with translations too... very handy for the community

10. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

arms straight up, racket facing down

raise up snap at highst point liek ur wiping a towel and there u go ^^ tic tac to 3 in a row ;)

11. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

arms straight up, racket facing down

raise up snap at highst point liek ur wiping a towel and there u go ^^ tic tac to 3 in a row ;)

*unless ur talk about normal udnerhandish back hands nothing like a drop, smash or clear then dont listen to me lol