Post your favorite Badminton TIPS here !

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wedgewenis, Feb 9, 2007.

1. madman

madman Regular Member

This thread is getting very confusing......I thought unloading your excrement has no correlation to badminton.....

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i play really well with a brand new tacky grip. Since a lot of the tackiness can be lost just by dust in the air, i wrap my grip in plastick wrap before i play, and take it off for warmup before my game to make sure it stays BRAND NEW after i wrapped it.

3. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    no no sir, we are now talking about unloading the love cannon!! the danglies!!

Taking a pre-game dump is definately a good idea....

4. jtzx1999

jtzx1999 Regular Member

student
    personally i find that proper footwork and tatic is the most important thing if u are playing a game.. proper footwork = able to take smashes easily..

am i right?

5. queeniep

queeniep Regular Member

Cramping

Well, this is not a badminton specific tip... nor do I know if it actually works.

I heard this from my prof a few weeks ago about this weird thing he discovered with cramps: when you get a leg cramp, grab your upper lip and twist it hard. then the cramp will go away. (yes, i know it sounds silly..:p )

he says he's tried it on a few of his players on his team (rugby and soccer) i think? and it's worked. But he also said one time, this rugby player had a really bad one, he twisted it, and it was gone. Then the rugby player started walking off the field, thought he was fine again, so he let go of his lip and instantly fell on the ground with the cramp again. So I'm not sure as to how long you have to twist for.

I still dont believe it, and i havent been getting any cramps for me to try :rolleyes:

Next time someone gets a cramp, can you try it and tell me if it works? :)

6. jtzx1999

jtzx1999 Regular Member

student
    well.. before doing a sport. the most important thing is to do warmup.. i got cramps, normally i will jux put my legs straight and do some stretching!!!

haha! u should try. it workz.

7. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

OKay! I made this thread, here are my tips !!

ALL DOUBLES TIPS

When at the Net

Keep the Racket High But also Infront where you can *See it* - if the shuttle comes at you fast you will be much more solid (less misshits) if you can see the racket before you swing - also (obviously) remind yourself to fallow the shuttle and not just swing.

When on Defence (Recieving Smash)

*Keep the racket where you can see it* and further infront - if you hold the racket further back (too close to the body) you will flail at the smash and miss because you can't see the racket. You should see the racket and the shuttle when you block on defence.

When Recieving Smash make sure you move your feet before the smash so you cover all of your side on defense. Don't simply reach for the smash from wherever you are - you will leave gaps in the court this way. Show the attacker (smasher) that you will move quickly after each smash to cover the gaps (epecially down the line and middle) make sure you move and Set (bounce) at the moment he smashes so that you can also move as you recieve smash (don't simply stand flat footed on defence)

Bouce each time the attackers strike the shuttle so that If they drop you can also move forward - not only block smash from where you are.

When Running at Shots on Defence or mid-court

As you hit the shuttle when your running - *don't step untill you hit the shuttle* (in other words dont step out - and then hit the shuttle) This is true for all shots that are not overheads (attacking) Even backhands its very important to TIME your step with your hit. IF you must run along the back such as in doubles to hit a low (Running) forehand - you must not lead with your head and run off the court - you must make the last step land with the shuttle hit and have balance. (not head-first)

If you are digging out a drop-shot close to the net - step as you hit shuttle.

Backhand - step as you hit shuttle

Midcourt- step as you hit shuttle

etc etc.

When on Attack

Never let the shuttle go behind you - Try to move back first and push legs forward into each shot.

Afer hit attacking shot such as dropshot - keep body and knees low so that you can also move onto defence. (like in peter rasmussen's footwork video) - Stay low after the attacking shot (you may jump-smash) but still must be low in your legs after the attack incase they counter it downward or crosscourt.

Make sure you're posture is very quick when your partner is serving so that you can hit the 3rd shot (service return) as best as you can (without letting it go behind you. You want to attack the service return as much as possible and not go on defence early in rally.

8. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

A very useful shot in singles is a forehand at head/shoulder level when the shuttle's behind you, it allows u to conserve energy and you can play drops to both corners as well as a clear. It also allows you to attack the net more because you won't be afraid of not getting back in time.

9. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

...and vice-versa, if your opponent is out of position, the shot that he/she is most likely to play is a crosscourt drop. So, it wouldn't be much of a risk if you stand at the net.

10. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

get bak in position ( of which ever shot u hit) right away, dont think o ill get there in time, u do, but the shot is already behind u and u must stretch bak to hit it

11. Sith

Sith Regular Member

For me, placement of shot is #1 and fitness + speed is #2. Some sound ideas here

12. daniel.kong

daniel.kong Regular Member

Jobless (Fired by boss)
    Start of with footwork foundation and fitness, then moved to the correct technique with accuracy. Once mastered this, one can pursue strength training and lastly the deception skill. Cheers!!

13. thereal

thereal Regular Member

business
    3 Main Things.

1 Footwork:- If you can always reach the shuttle and strike it, you will own the game.
    2. Shots:- Do I need to explain??
    3. Technique:- How well you position your shots. Make your opponent give up. Technique comes with experience....

14. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    1. Between winning 21:0 or losing 0:21 is only a tiny difference in speed.
    2. After a long tiring rally, inject the pace cause the opponent tends to relax and is not ready for fast play.
    3. Take slow shot, defense clears and high services as high as possible and far in front of your body.
    4. If your opponent is getting heat up about fault or not fault, just relax and enjoy seeing your opponent losing lots of energy. After the argument is over or you got a referee and the game continues; inject pace (cause you relaxed a lot and the opponent has not relaxed at all+ mental problems.)

15. kewlboi

kewlboi Regular Member

accounting manager
    badminton is about spoiling your opponent's game... its about planning your shots and creating opportunities to allow you to smash. each stroke in itself is a preparation to win the point.