coach Zhao Jian Hua translations

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mini Me, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

in zhao jian hua's/xiao jie's dvd lesson 10, zjh teaches the jump smash and backhand push at the net. tkteo has done a translation but there are a couple of things that got lost in translation. can anyone help with the explanations for the following things?

the first is zjh talking about smashing, and the literal translation is "point smash". is this a half smash (steep but less powerful)? or is it to do with the way the wrist is used like cracking a whip, rather than taking a big swing?

the second is the technique for a backhand push. The translation is "The key to the backhand push at the net is that the wrist must snap quickly to generate force. Make full use of the thumb to generate more force at the point of impact. During the point of contact, maintain upward position of the back of the hand." What does the last part mean? Is he saying that your wrist movement should be small? i.e. "your hand starts off pointing downwards. after rotating your forearm during the shot, your hand should still be pointing downwards. don't rotate your forearm too far such that your hand is now pointing upwards."

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "point smash" as i understand it is a smash with the wrist power only, without a big arm swing. and as you said, it is for fast action and steepness.

the back of the hand pointing upwards is simply what it says. a lot of ppl try to push by flipping the arm to generate power, which is incorrect as that will not facilitate the use of finger power. by emphasizing maintaining the back of the hand pointing upwards will force the player to use more finger strength.

3. Chire

Chire Regular Member

I believe this was discussed in a thread some time ago. It's called sticksmash. Here's the link:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36312&

4. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Point smash is a half smash or fast drop.
    In one of the lesson, Zhao was looking at a student making a drop, but his drops were more like fast drop that landed too far from the net. So Zhao called this a point smash or fast drop. And then, Zhao went on to teach the student the slow tight drop shot that would land only a few feet away from the net. That action required a brushing of the shuttle via the wrist.

Now, Zhao also taught how to properly generate power in your smash. The big arm movements in the smash were too diffused and he taught how to focus all the power into the hitting area.
    If you look closely at all the slow motions in the video, you see the arm extend while the angle between the racket and the arm stays the same, so that the racket is still lagging behind (the racket isn't being released yet). Then as the arm is being completely extended, wrist and finger power comes into play, releasing the racket into the hitting area and generating an extra oomph.
    It takes a lot of practice, and I can personally attest that the sound of a successful smash is a different clear loud boom, and the shutle just zips blindingly fast.

For the backhand, kwun explained everything.
    Xiao Jie also explained it very well. In short, it is like the motion of turning your car key (when you ignite your car), but the wrist needs to be abducted.
    In layman terms, just make a thumbs up and rotate your forearm, while the back of the wrist and the forearm stays flat. It is easier to generate power this way then by flipping the wrist (ie. flexion-hyperextension of the wrist).

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think the key word is wrist snap, which increases the swing speed of the racquet tip. Some people call the that smash a stick smash or a half smash, but the key is the fast wrist snap. The wrist snap can also be used for the forehand and backhand push from the net. More skilled players can use it to return a smash.

6. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

thanks to everyone for all the replies.

7. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

i'm now working on lesson 5 translations. my chinese isn't so good so i'm not entirely sure if my translation is correct. can someone check if i've done these subtitles correctly?

Attached Files:

8. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

here are another few subtitles that i don't quite understand. xiao jie is talking about forehand low serves. what does 收晚 ("keep late") mean? are my translations correct?

Attached Files:

9. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Kwun explained it well. I'd only add an idiomatic translation would be "during the hitting movement, keep your palm pointing downward", even though it is not what ZJH said literally.

10. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

The last sentence of last frame I'd translate as "at the moment of impact, there is a slicing action."
    I'd change "cut" to "slice" in other frames as well, since it more accurately captures that it's hit at an angle. 'Cut' can be at right angle, which is not what is meant here.

11. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

thanks mettayogi. are my translations for the forehand short serve correct? i'm not sure about the 2nd and 3rd subtitles, "keep late" and "swing the open wrist downwards".

12. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I think this one is problematic. It could be the Chinese caption of one frame is wrong. I need to dl & watch to be sure. Which episode is it?

13. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

these are from lesson 5. the forehand slice subtitles are at 5:11-5:24, the forehand short serve subtitles are at 13:02-13:11.

14. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    @mettayogi:

Did you watch the video yet? Do you have the video?

15. green_day

green_day Regular Member

Bump! Any help from Mandarin speakers or people who can read the Chinese subtitles would be appreciated :p

Green Day

16. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I watched the video tonight.
    The FH slice translation is correct. The first frame I'd translate as 'If you grip the racket loosely (without touching the center of your palm)'

The FH short serve I'm not sure. The caption of 2nd frame, 收晚 may be wrong; she could mean 收腕 instead, meaning turning your wrist. The following frame clarifies it's turning wrist downward, consistent with her demonstration.

The Chinese of 2nd frame is not strictly grammatical, so I'm not entirely sure exactly what she meant here.

17. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

'without touching the palm of your hand' may be better.

'收腕' may be translated as 'turning your wrist to neutral position' (clockwise/inward in this case)

18. Mini Me

Mini Me Member

thanks mettayogi. i've uploaded the lesson 5 subtitles in the video sharing forum now.

19. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Who can help Mini_Me with the translation of the end of episode 7?

Whre Xiao and ZJH sitting around and talking about changing grips...

Episode 7 must be available for dl in the video sharing forum...

Starting at 11:30... So it are only 2 minutes and 30 secounds...

Who is able to translate the missing 150 seconds for us? THX!!!

#19 xt6666, Apr 1, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  20. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I'm working on it now.