Where should the smash be placed?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sgkblau, Mar 24, 2007.

1. sgkblau

sgkblau Regular Member

Student
    I am a Singles player, occasionally playing mixed doubles.
    I was just wondering where should I smash while I play singles, and where should I smash when i play mixed??

Should I smash towards the person? or to open space, or even cross court?

2. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    In singles cross court smashes are effective.If you get a chance to smash just above the net aim on the opponent's body.I don't play mixed.So no suggestion.

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

ahahaha. actually in mix double competition, the girl is always the victim. smash at the girl. this is the real strategy. cruel but true.

4. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Then wouldnt all the girls develop super smash return skills?

5. nwong

nwong Regular Member

A process that may take a while. Also depends on genetics and the number of fast-twitch muscles fibres you are born with.

6. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

erm, usually girls will be train to place the shuttle after returning a smash. girls will do the placing, but it is not easy.

7. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    We do. And the guys respond to that by developing a zillion mile an hour smashes :cool:

As to your question, in singles smashing straight down the sideline is a good bet. Cross-court smashes are excellent for catching your opponent off guard... but they're probably going to block straight so make sure you're able to get to their return!

8. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

in singles, it is usually good NOT to smash at your opponent as it pretty much gives them the advantage in defense right there. but some people have diffuculty returning smashes in specific places, after specific shots, notice it and exploit it. And yes, in mixed, you should smash at the person with WEAKER defense, just like in normal doubles.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I doubt the importance of fast-twitch muscle fibre ratios.

As for the initial question, put the smash where the opponent can't return it. If that's not possible, put it where the opponent can't return it well. If the opponent can return it well, then do something else. Simple as that.

10. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

aim for there oppasite shoulder to there racket, its the hardest place to return from especially if your opponent is tall.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In short, it depends where you are and on the handedness of the opponent!

Going cross-court means a longer smash path, and so more time for the opponent to react, than going down the line. However, cross-court versions are more likely to catch the opponent out positionally.

If you smash across from the tramlines, the likeliest response is a little block to the other side, which you're not positioned to reach. A smash up the tramlines is more likely to be returned to the same side or the to centre, which you CAN reach.

Then again, going right AT the opponent is better for forcing awkward returns, especially between their racket hand and adjacent hip - the no-man's land between back- and forehand - AND leads to the least possible reaction time.

I think the "best" advice is psychological: mix them up. Try a bias toward one type then, once the opponent starts to read them, switch the other way(s). A good demonstration of this can be seen in the All England Men's Singles final from this year.