Outer or Inner Slice Drops for a lefty?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by aznchopstix89, Mar 19, 2007.

1. aznchopstix89

aznchopstix89 Regular Member

Hi, first of all I am a lefty and I play currently play mix.

I just want to know that what is the better drop shot to use in the back.
    The outter flat slice, which the CCTV instructional video shows
    or the traditional inner slice dropshot...

once again...most people are rightys and so their outter slice = my inner slice?

im really confused on what shot i should do between those two.

another shot I need clearification on is whether I should drop it slower but tighter to the net (easier to read)
    or
    faster non-slice drops that land about 1-2 feet past the service line? these are usually harder but lands farther from the net.

so to sum it up
    inner or outer slice for slice drops?
    Fast drops or slow drops? or a little bit of both?

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Not quite sure what you mean by the terms outer flat slice and inner slice drop.

As a lefty, my standard overhead slice goes from right to left. Because of the construction of feather shuttles, this lefty slice typically spins faster and drops more dramatically that a right-handers left-to-right slice. When I hit 'round-the-head crosscourt drops, I normally go with a righty spin, left-to-right.

For a bit more about this check out my post in the recent Slicing thread:

www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=535869&postcount=9

3. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I am left-handed too, and agree with as our systemically anomalous friend here. :)

forehand down the line: left to right
    overhead down the line right to left
    overhead crosscourt: left to right

4. aznchopstix89

thanks guys for the responses.
    just to clearify things
    i was referring the outer slice as my "left to right" flat-faced slice, which is more deceptive
    and the inner as the standard "right to left", which u describe as faster for leftys, which is good for us right? =)

the last thing i need straightened out is whether i should drop a tight slice drop or faster drop that lands farther out from the service line that is harder to read?

5. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

Lefties' discussion here Lol.

6. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    If you really want to hit those faster-spinning lefty drops, then refer to the advanced technique I mention in the Slicing thread (see link in prev post).

7. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    I'm not a lefty, but I found this as support from Wikipedia..

Due to the way that its feathers overlap, a shuttlecock also has a slight natural spin about its axis of rotational symmetry. The spin is in an anticlockwise direction as seen from above when dropping a shuttlecock. This natural spin affects certain strokes: a tumbling netshot is more effective if the slicing action is from right to left, rather than from left to right.[22]

8. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Depending on what kinda speed u want the shuttle to be.
    A left to right slice will make a shuttle drop faster. (Bao do that a lot!)
    A right to left slice will make a shuttle drop a bit slower. (Lin do it very often.)

I m a lefty too!

9. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I think it should be the other way around.

10. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I agree with the tkteo, it's the other way around (which is consistent with my earlier post).

Good find Tsumaranai., altho' this refers to a net drop rather than an overhead drop. I would think that the effect would be more dramatic with the overhead shot than a net drop. Brush kills at the net should also take advantage of this shuttle anomaly.

Despair not T, you can still take advantage of this on crosscourt overheads or 'round-the-head shots as a righty.

11. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    I just read Alice Cooke, "Computer Simulation of Shuttlecock Trajectories", Sports Engineering, volume 5, pages 93-105, 2002, where I found the statement

"It has been established that the presence of
    rotation probably has little effect on the aerodynamic
    drag of the shuttlecock (Cooke 1992), ..."

where Cooke 1992 is her PhD thesis for Cambridge University.

I have an electronic copy of her thesis, but never read it carefully. But if her simulation results are based on sound modeling, then a sliced shot does not slow down any faster than an unsliced shot.

We feel that it does probably because we were using the speed of the racquet head prior to impact as a gauge of how fast the shuttle would leave the stringbed. It's all in the mind, then...

12. aznchopstix89

you can swing faster by hitting a slice but output less force if i was swinging at the same speed with a solid hit.
    but i am guessing Cooke's thesis is comparing not how much force one inputs on the racket but maybe the relative time it takes to slow down a birdy with and without rotation at the same speed, disregarding how much initial force was put into the shot.

13. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Cooke says that rotation probably has little effect on drag. Does she make a more definitive statement than this? Does she ever say that shuttle spin has no effect on speed & trajectory?

#13 SystemicAnomaly, Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  14. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Well, drag is the thing that slows a shuttle down, so a statement like "a slice shot imparts more spin to a shuttle, which then slows down faster" is a statement about the drag the shuttle experiences.

For her thesis, she did a lot of drag coefficient measurements, by backing them out from the trajectories of the shuttles. But these shuttles are all launched, so the answer to your first question is no: she has not done any measurements on the drag experienced by a sliced shuttle.

However, she has done extensive measurements and modeling on the kinematic effects of spin on shuttle trajectories. In flight, the shuttle's axis does not coincide with its instantaneous velocity (think of how a javelin flies). Because of spin, the shuttle can then under precession and nutation. Nutation is probably not important, but precession is apparently very important to the flight of a shuttle (no javelin equivalent, because a javelin doesn't spin as it is thrown).

Supposedly, the precession of a shuttle causes it to nose dive near the end of its trajectory, because of the smaller velocity here, very much like a curve ball veers away more as it nears the batter. Cooke did quite a bit of simulation on the effects of precession on a sliced serve and a tumble net shot, but not on slice shots.

So okay, the case is not closed. More studies need to be done, but the article does suggest how to distinguish between two different effects.

(1) "A sliced shuttle has a spin different from its natural spin, and as a result slows down faster."

(2) "A sliced shuttle has a spin different from its natural spin, and as a result nose dives earlier in its trajectory, because of precessional drift, compared to an unsliced shuttle."

Notice that the second statement says nothing about how fast the shuttle slows down, even though the phenomenon of precessional drift depends on the shuttle slowing down.

In the real world, (1) and (2) might be true to different extents, but as of now, no one knows which better describes what really happens.

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

looking at in from a corut perspective you can hit 6 different sliced dropshots. and to fool your opponent (be deceptive) you shoudl be able to do all of them. Though everybody has his/her favorites.
    the options:

-from your forehand corner:
    * a straight cut drop, 'inward' slicing, though in this case you almost literally swing your rackethead perpendicular to the net
    * a reversed straight drop (in to outside). my favorite for the forehand...
    * a cut crossdrop
    (* you cán try a reversed crossdrop, but it's pretty useless, you can't make your opponent believe you're hitting the shuttle away from the court..)

-from your around-the-head-corner:
    * a straight reversed drop. my around-the-head-favorite dropshot
    * a straight sliced drop (very deceptive! if done right it looks like you're doing a regular cross drop, yet you cut it out of the air straight down)
    * a cross reversed drop
    (* you can try a cut/sliced crossdrop, but there's no point)

just experiment with all possibilities!:D