Post your favorite Badminton TIPS here !

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wedgewenis, Feb 9, 2007.

1. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    The maestro, Rudy Hartono, had one basic tip when asked for coaching advice. Shot selection! Choose the right stroke for every situation.

My personal advice:

1. An overhead is preferrable than a backhand.
    2. Offense is preferrable to defence.
    3. Never lose the big points at crucial times.
    4. Don't use deception to often because deceptive shots are unreliable. You are more likely to make unforced errors. They often don't work against players with good footwork and good court coverage as they never commit to play the shuttle until you already completed your shot.

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I've heard both side o fthe story for this so far. Some people say to go around the head whenever possible, others say that backhand is a perfectly fine shot and should be strengthened.

I think one of the things that need to be considered is what type of game is being played. In singles, I really do believe that a good backhand is a vital asset because it doesn't comprimise your position. Having that backhand also opens up more options which in effect allows you to play a better game.

3. azn_bdmntn_boi

azn_bdmntn_boi Regular Member

Thats why "whenever possible" was stated. When you are stranded at the net, then the best solution would probably be to chase after it and do an underhand, backhand shot, as it is simply impossible to fly over and do a forehand shot or something. Using an overhead forehand shot would be more perferrable for singles, as it keeps the option to do a smash open. When you use a backhand, you can only drop or clear, and I doubt many players do backhand smashes:). And for even less advanced players, a streched out forehand is still better than a backhand.

4. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    I agree with your logic in saying an overhead forehead is preferred to a backhand. I would add the following:

1. There is more you can do with an overhead forehand than a backhand.
    2. Doing a backhand (from the back of the court) you would be turning your back towards th opponent. Cardinal rule of battle: never face away from your opponent.
    3. You have more control of the shuttle with a overhead forehand rather than a backhand.
    4. You can create better angles with an overhead forehand rather than a backhand.
    5. You smash harder with an overhead forehand than a backhand (you would be a really odd player if your backhand is stronger than an overhead forehand).

Having said that I would like to ask you if you have seen Taufik Hidayat's backhand smash winner. I saw it on youtube and I think there is a post on the badminton sharing videos thread giving you the file. It was awesome but that is the exception to the general rule. Even a player with a great backhand like Taufik would do more overhead forehands than backhands.

A mediocre player in the early 80s from England called Kevin Jolly does backhand smashes often and sometimes backhand jump smashes but the top players have no problems retrieving them as this shot becomes predictable when used to often and your opponent will be expecting it.

5. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Properly excecuted, back hand clear requires less foot work and energy, compared to overhead clears, especially when the shuttle gets past you. While I think it's true that you'll have less control with backhand, I believe it's a technique that is very useful in defense (eg. when your opponent does a flat drive to your backhand side). Finally I do agree that one should play overhead when he has plenty of time to prepare

6. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    In badminton you must be fit enough to do overhead forehands instead of a backhand. Doing backhands instead of overhead forehands indicates slackness due to laziness, lack of stamina or underestimating your opponent.

It is expected that players of high calibres are quick enough to do overhead forehands and thus plenty of time to exercise the overhead so exercising the shot should not really be a problem. Players have to make up thir mind and get into position within a split second of the opponent's shot.

It is not an issue here to play flat backhand drives as it would be silly to play an overhead forehand instead of a backhand drive. The debate is over which is preferred to be played an overhead forehand or a high over the head backhand.

#46 sabathiel, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  7. huynd

huynd Regular Member

:), You misunderstood my post. I meant when your opponent drive to your backhand, you have very little time to reply. In such case, a backhand clear is a good option. Yes, I know overhead stroke is a better choice, but if you can do it all the time, then I assume that you must have extreme fitness.

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Decide on your shot before you do it, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND HALFWAY, and execute the shot.

I find that whenever I change my mind halfway/am indecisive, I will either give a half court(changed mind between lob/smash) or the shuttle will land in the net(changed mind between drop/smash/cross court drop etc).

9. nwong

nwong Regular Member

Tell that to TH.

10. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    The backhand debate is getting out of hand. Taufik is one person out of the billions that play badminton. He is an exception and doesn't make a case. When you are in position to do so, overhead is always the best choice. You can be more CONSISTENTLY offensive with it, and you can really do any shot while for most players the backhand would most likely be a drop or at best a clear which most likely will put you on the defensive.

As for my TIP: BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE RACQUET! xD

Ok for real, I think it's really important to use your head in a match. Skill is a great thing to have and if you're have more you will usually come out on top. However a great mind on court is what makes the difference between two players of the same skill. Whoever can adapt to their opponent's strengths and exploit their opponent's weaknesses will come out on top, even if their skill isn't better the opponent.

Another is, if you find you're lacking in power. Don't try to swing harder, you will usually miss or gain little to no power. Make sure you get into good position. Make sure you turn your body. Make sure you're pronating the wrist. Make sure you're hitting cleanly. Focus on each individually if you have to. They are all more vital than swinging really hard.

11. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    Taufik still uses an overhead forehand more often than he does a backhand!

12. Lazymonkeygod

Lazymonkeygod Regular Member

Take a pre-game dump.

Don't play with loaded gun for the guys, if you know what I mean *wink wink*. No gf to unload your gun on?, do it yourself.

13. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Lets try to keep it PG here =P

14. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    apparently playing with a loaded gun improves male performance in sports!! There was a study done where they measured the effects of s*x on performance in sports and it was found that women performed better after having s*x and men performed worse!

So don't unload the gun!!

15. madman

madman Regular Member

When things are not going well, always find an excuse to have quickie time out like using the towel, a quick sip, etc. While doing this, think about how the game could be turned around. Apart from the advantage of having your strategy reworked, this will also break your opponent's rhythm. Of course, I am talking about social badminton here where I would carry the towel and my water bottle next to the court and have a few picnics before the game is over. :)

16. Lazymonkeygod

Really? wow, didn't know they actually did a study on that. But I find that it's more relaxing to play with an unloaded gun. But of course, it could be because I'm too relaxed to care about the game.

17. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    lol yeah but I can't remember where I saw it mentioned... but to me it makes sense... if you are fully loaded and full of testosterone you are out there with the will to win, the killer instinct, primeval urge to destroy your opponent!! and also you are subconciously trying to find a mate by impressing them, thus kicking your sports performance into hyperdrive!!

I have yet to perform tests though....

18. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player
    yeah...i second that.....i knew about this as well...
    research been done quite number of years ago...
    think this is the reason why England not performing well in the last world cup coz they we were allowed to bring wives and girlfriends...! hahaha

19. Lazymonkeygod

Interesting...Imma have to go try it out. I always find I'm more relaxed during a game after I unload. But then again, maybe I shouldn't be too relaxed during the game. A little tension isn't bad I guess...

20. Docaroo

Docaroo Regular Member

Geology Student
    yeah exactly ... you don't want to be relaxed!! you want to kill!!