Forced Eye Protection Rule for Juniors

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Trance, Oct 17, 2005.

1. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    goggles a must?

in canada i hear new rule that goggle must be worn at all times....during play is that true?

2. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    so it is not needed to be used in the highschool level?/????beecause it is not related with oba???so liek tvraa...tournaments thats my area tourny for hs. u dont need to wear and at wossaa u dont need to wear? and at offsaa u dotn need to wear??? if this is true im gonna be happy because goggles make a very big blind spot for me...and usually very uncomfortable because there is an extra layer of materials and sometiems cannot see through scratches or dirt on my goggles and its just very hard to play with...

3. blackmarketMOB

blackmarketMOB New Member

This is actually the stupidest rule ever. If you have glasses it is stupid. They tried it 10 years ago and it failed for OBA. The coaches didn't even agree because it was supposed to be phased in and they went ahead and made it mandatory anyways.

4. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Ahaha.........do my swimming goggles count? :p

5. event

event Regular Member

The majority of players in OBA tournaments are surely from Ontario and leaving Ontario for tournaments constitutes an upheaval. The rule will affect Ontario residents mostly but I suppose you're right that there could be some out-of-province players who could be put off travelling to Ontario because of the rule.

Well, the latest OFSSA badminton rules (Jan, 2006) say protective eyewear is "strongly recommended" but it doesn't say required. My nephew plays for a high-school team and their team was being outfitted with glasses in February in anticipation of events at the conference, WOSSAA, and OFSSA level. Maybe they were jumping the gun or misinterpreting the rule, I suppose. Or maybe their conference has taken the cue from the OBA and implemented their own rule.

Most of them were getting glasses like these. Like cycling glasses without the tint. Shouldn't interfere with peripheral and I wouldn't expect them to fog up like the old bug-eye squash goggles used to.

6. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

i personally think this is a total downside considering the present status of the game in america. THey consider the sport very soft and uncool, the addition of goggles will nonetheless add to the disliking of the sport. OBA or whomever is applying these rules is trying too much, and should consider the current practices present players already have (NOT WEAR GOGGLES)

total nerd blowout

7. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I personally think is a a good and bad idea. The good thing about it is you won't be scared to return a very smash/shot. The bad thing about it is the glasses can be in your way when you play. I prefer playing badminton with my contacts than my glasses. For contacts you get the full clear 180 degree view imo. And the protection glasses kinda changes the view of things. Either a rounder view or a different view compared to someone not using glasses.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u miss the point of this thread.
    it is about protection versus no protection, not eye spectacles versus contact lens

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

as long as it's not x-ray goggles. Girls don't like us wearing those:p

10. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student

TOTAL NERD BLOWOUT IS RIGHT
    remember, the average persons thinks of badminton as the 'sport' they saw with a racquet and birdie on wierd al yankovic's white and nerdy video.
    adding goggles will make it so lame, that we'll never attract new players

11. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I'm just adding an extra point.

12. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    *sigh* i guess i better start wearing my squash glasses at badminton to get used to play badminton with glasses, its easy, less glair from those damn lights, oh yah btw squash glasses are perfect for this

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i hope u don't do that when playing badminton;):p

14. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    yah i really think OBA is killing new members by saying "You must wear safely googles at all times when you are on a court"

15. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Its only in effect for doubles, not singles, its not such a big deal, I've seen a pair or two and they aren't that nerdy. I think one learns to live with it... and if you want to be super stylin' then just play singles :p.

16. txyu

txyu Regular Member

Manager Fitness Facility
    For those who are against, all it takes is one shot to the eye to change your mind and by then, it might be too late.

To date, this season, I've seen 4 people get hit in the eye and these are not juniors but adults who play competitively. That's about 4 more then what I saw last year.

Since then, the females from our group now wear goggles to protect themselves, however, in mixed only.

To implement this at the early stages is a good idea. By the time they get to my age (30), they'll be so accustomed to wearing them, it won't bother them anymore. For me, who's been playing for 16 years, it would feel awkward (mind you I wear glasses).

17. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Yea... This rule is in effect for ROPSSAA too T.T

damn... must I go singles?

18. bry172

bry172 Regular Member

Goggles For Badminton???!!!!!

is it just me but i live in ontario and they now madated that that all tournaments now require you to wear goggles!!!!! not any goggles they hav to be ASTM F803 certified or w/e and there designed for squash any normal pair of glasses wud protect u just fine but they gotta bring out the big guns, maybe ull need a welding mask later. isnt it stupid!!OFSAA need to get rid of this rule and look around the world

#38 bry172, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008