drown!!!...help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chrismar, Feb 6, 2007.

1. chrismar

chrismar Regular Member

student
    if you guys can help me on my problem on playing badminton.......and if you guys can give me some tips... my problem......when my opponent is hitting the shuttlecock high and it was going back court,,,it gives me a hard time to look up and chase the shuttlecock back court...it gives me that feeling like "drowning" if you know what i mean.......i now in badminton there was no easy ball to hit but what do you guys suggest inorder to hit that ball without having a hardtime with it?????:confused: :confused: :confused: hope you guys can help me??:) :) :) :D :D

#1 chrismar, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Maybe you need a diving gear :)

And... practice your footwork...

3. v1nc3nt

v1nc3nt Regular Member

um..is it because you're not getting enough oxygen into your head so you're feeling really dizzy? if so, then i suggest you do some stamina exercises and get into shape! hahaha

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

stretch your esophagus? does it feel like your drowning when you look up normally? If it doesn't you probably just need to get in waay better shape or remember to swallow if your getting a saliva build up....

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Breathe in... breathe out. Repeat.

6. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

If the "drowning" sensation is accompanied by dizziness, I would suggest drinking lots of liquids. Maybe your just dehydrated all the time (don't downplay the good ole H2O!).

7. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Solution is to jump/smash or jump/clear or jump/drop

I had a similar problem against an opponent who gave really high clears that descended deeply and rapidly. I found out that when I jumped to meet the shuttle, whether via jump smash or jump drop or jump clear, I was able to return more consistently. My opponent couldn't return most of my jump smashes and eventually abandoned his tactic.

8. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    It might be some medical problems such as err deformed lower diaphrag or inverted ribs (anybody who's a doctor want to help with the names), but yea. I've had scoliolosis(sp?) for a long time so in effect when I look up, the back of my neck will hurt and I'll have trouble breathing. Another problem might be like the other guys said, footwork. You might be bending too far back which deflates your lungs leaving you with a smaller capacity.

9. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    a normal person can look up without any side effects. You might have an obstruction or something. Unlikely to have anything to do with ribs or the diaphragm, if it is medical, and more probably the trachea or soft palate.
    Thats more likely if your overweight or something. If its not medical, then its cause your not moving and your stretching back to far .

10. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    when you say drowning feeling do you mean like instead of shuffling back you kinda run backwards but the shuttle moves faster than you do so you never catch up to it and end up having to hit with the birdie a bit behind you? That happens to me sometimes too, usually happens when I drop and opponent lifts and I forget to get back to the middle =p.

Only solution to not being in a position of a bad shot is to get there before the shuttle. Shuffle back instead of running backwards, and always go back to the middle right after your shot. Don't watch the shuttle's flight path but your opponent instead to try and predict what shot they'll pull off next. I still need to work on these things too, but thats what my coach has told me ^^

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    super high clears can often make a new player mis-time, to the extent of missing a ball completely. the only way is to keep practicing and focus on the timing

12. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    ah i get it, you must be walking backwards to move behind the shuttle, its wrong to do that, you might fall, try to do the crab walk like thing by moving sideways