Good Idea??!

Discussion in 'ClearOne Badminton Centre' started by azn_123, Jan 16, 2007.

1. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Currently I'm taking teens intermediate this session. When I get to teens advanced do you guys think I should take private lessons with it? Or should I wait till I get into high performance?

Thank you!

2. v1nc3nt

v1nc3nt Regular Member

um...i'm not sure where you're tkaing lessons but from the sound of the names it sounds like cleartwo...and taking private lessons would basically improve your technique faster. But see how it goes first, if you're like...in the stronger half of the advanced group, then i'd suggest you take some private so that you can get to high perf sooner.

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I see...I'm currently in intermediate still. And yes it is cleartwo. Private lessons do costs a quite bit compared to group lessons too. I guess maybe if I'm in advanced next time I'll take maybe 30 minutes of private lessons.

4. v1nc3nt

v1nc3nt Regular Member

i don't think taking only 30 minutes is such a good idea though. By the time you finished warming up and just when you're at the peak of your performance, the 30 minutes would be over, and you'll be left hanging around still pumped up for more. =P

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You would also need to play with a group of people and to play games to gain the experience. Lessons, private or group will not help out alone.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    how much in private lessons can you afford?

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ahh, Alan can't even afford $2 difference in string job. Why talk about private lessons :D.

8. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    LOL private lessons are different!!!! I'll just go tad's it's convient for me =P

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    That's a good question because on top of that, Alan wants to get more strings and rackets. :eek: Where is this money comming from?

10. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Ahh the money comes for rain.. When it rains I just collect money with my ragged shirt!! :D Yupp I need more strings/racquets/shirts/etc!!!

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I wonder who makes the rain :rolleyes:? Geez, the kid sounds like a collector :D.

12. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Doesn't really matter..I care about how he/she teaches more =):cool:

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yes it would since the money for these lessons is not comming out of your pocket! :eek:

14. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    LOL :D :D :D :D exactly...=P

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

OK, here's my opinion. What you should do is get private coaching earlier rather than waiting.

Since money is now problem, you should try to get the coaching at least twice per week as this will reinforce the techniques much better. i.e. 56 lesson, twice per week for half a year is much better then 56 lessons, once per week over one year.

If you can find a training partner to share the lesson over a period of two hours, this is really good. The coach can rotate the training with you and the partner. So, player A practices shots, player B watches, then alternate. The great thing about this method is that each player gets a natural rest over a longer time. If you were taking one to one lessons, you still need a rest but you have effectively have less time on court.

You may want to schedule training sessions before group classes/games. That way you can try out the techniques against different people. This gives good feedback on when to use particular shots. Let's say you've been practising midcourt drives - when it gets to a singles game, you use the shot but lose the point. You have to ask yourself (and the coach) why did it happen? Poor strategy? Opponent particularly good at receiving drives? Your own poor court positioning for recovery after the shot?

I would also say write down some of the material in a diary - especially the combination shots. I found an old thread of mine on BF about where to play deep backhands to the opponents court. I reused that tactic with good effect (previously I had forgotten).

16. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Thank you Cheung. 2 players for 2 hour private lessons is a great idea. The price is also cheaper and you get rest and you can look at the other player on what he/she is doing.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

It depends how the pricing structure is so I am not sure if you can assume the price would be cheaper. But definitely, you will be getting more for your one hour of money.

I have tried both and would always prefer to take th two people for two hours option. BTW, I have also tried three people to one coach over the two hours. That doesn't work too well unless you are specifically practicing routines for doubles tactics.