Head light, flexible - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kitseb, Jan 5, 2007.

1. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Sorry - another request for buying advice. I have read many of the threads about racket recommendations already.
    I've been playing badminton off & on for the last 15 years at intermediate club level and always used Yonex Rackets. My first a Cab 8, my latest buy a AT500 and MP25. I hate the MP25 (it was only meant to be a back-up), and still undecided about the AT500, as I think my preference is not for head heavy & stiff rackets. I liked my Iso 97vf (despite the poor reviews).
    Unfortunately, I am not able to try before I buy, but I've tried some of my team mates rackets - I don't like the MP99.
    My style is fairly aggressive / attacking & I'm female. Any advice?

2. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Perhaps you can try an MP88. I have seen females producing a great deal of power with the racket. The racket was rated as heady heavy. If you get one with a small grip and thicken it up, you will end up with a head light racket. The racket felt to be very flexible when I tried it.

3. oasis1

oasis1 Regular Member

mp66...i've tried it and it is light and flexible enough to give good power and maneuverable enough for defense as well :)

4. spinner

spinner Regular Member

ruler of the free world
    maybe you should try the nanospeed 6000 it is very flexible, or the new Nanofire by Blacknight 80grams and even balence to slightly head heavy moderatly stiff, it is a great racquet! check out their website for more infor on it

5. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

if you have alot of cash, then Nanospeed 6K.
    if not MP 66. I use MP 66 but it took me a long time to get adjusted to. After 3 months of use, i currently have durability issue because it's starting to crack around the T joint. Probably the reason why it's not cracked all the way through yet is because T joint offers support under the crack

6. morbo

morbo Regular Member

head light and flexible describes the Wilson v14 exactly. Maybe you can try this racquet some time, its pretty cheap too.

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I also agree with the above as well as I have seen both men and women use this racket due to its unique swing. The power is decent and it a bit on the flexable side considering it is rated moderate flex.

The MP88 can be comparble to the Isometric Swing Power 900 SA. Women had also chosen as well because it was easy to swing. It is a moderate flex racket as well, and is stiffer and lighter compared to the MP88. The 900 series has been discontinued as of 2004 and is difficult to find this model in particular as the other three models, such as SR, SS and SX is still out there.

Another alternative to this would be the NS6K, which is a bit more powerful.

#7 Matt, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    However, the lower end Wilson V series seem have a lot of durability issues. :cool:

9. BaddGolfer

BaddGolfer Regular Member

If you are gonna try the MP88, try the 4U version. What weight is your AT500?

10. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I have the AT500 in 3U.

Thanks for your replies. Some suggestions like the Wilson, and Nanospeed 6K I had never considered before. NS6K partly due to price - and thinking that I wouldn't achieve the potential of the racket - could I really justify it?
    I also thought about the Carlton Powerblade Lite / Superlite - any thoughts?

11. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

I have a Powerblade Superlight and I like it very much. It's easy to generate power with this racquet and very good on control too. A friend who plays with an AT500 likes it better because of the more even balance. They sell for $50CAD here in Canada.

The Carlton ads I've seen and the specs printed on the shaft say "Balance: Super Head Light" but there is no way it is head light. Balance point with the stock string is 303mm. Even if you take into account that it is shorter by 10mm from the Yonex standard 675 length, you still end up with 298mm which would make it slightly head heavy. It swings very much like my Woven-8 which is great for me, but may not be for you if you prefer head light.

12. BaddGolfer

BaddGolfer Regular Member

I think there's enough difference in the 3U to 4U versions of some of the same model rackets. I haven't played w/ AT500, but have played w/ both 3U and 4U versions of MP88. I can say the 4U is much easier to swing and defend and felt much lighter. From what you have said, a 3U head heavy racket (like the AT500) is not the right one for you. Its probably worth trying the 4U versions if you have access to them. Good luck!

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    The 3U is the popular model of the racket compared to the 4U. The 4U does have less material inside which would make the racket more flexable compared to the 3U. Also 4U would be considered abit fragile.

Also for AT800 for example, the 4U's have a tendency to overswing.

14. disturbed baddy

disturbed baddy Regular Member

Student

but you could probably buy 3 v14's for the price of a nano6000.

15. Mbenjamin

Mbenjamin Regular Member

automotive tech
    Another suggestion is a yonex isometric 75mflt, cheap in price, head light and flexible. Its my backup for my nanospeed 8000. Its a good racquet despite what many people say about it.