Uniform Printing (How do you get a logo on a shirt?)

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Jinryu, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I organize the badminton teams for the Racketsports Montreal teams in the LBA league, and we have a uniform shirt... but no club name or logo is on our shirts.

So here's what I'm wondering. How do you print on shirts? It's easy enough if it's cotton... then you have those printer kits that you just iron on, or there are companies that can do it for you.

But what I want, to do is save money $$$ for the players (who are the ones who end up footing the bill for their team jersey) so I'm looking if possible for a do-it-yourself method.

THe added problem is that the shirts we use are synthetic mixes of sweat-wicking materials, meaning, polyesters and nylons, etc. I was originally thinking about taking iron-on material cut-outs of the team name and ironing those on the shirts, but in consideration, that may melt the fabrics :S

So.. anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this done? Low cost methods preferable!

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Since the shirts are polyester and nylon meterial, using iron on might milt the shirt. Please be very careful. I will suggest you to go to local shops and compare the price. Good luck.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    in general, the synthetic materials are harder to iron on, and the longevity is questionable.

you could try silk screening or depending on the size of logo - embroidering. in the long run, I have often found that a cheaper do-it-yourself logo just doesn't have the impact that a good silkscreen or embroidered work will look.

also, the cheaper the shirt looks, likely the cost you saved will be for naught if the shirts wind up sitting in the bottom drawers never to be worn again. i have more than my share of cheap cheesy single-use shirts that have found their way to the rag bin.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Professional inkjet heat transfer is another option.

6. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

As suggested, it is best to seek out a professional to do the logo printing, otherwise it may turn into a shoe-rag! :rolleyes:

Get the printers to recommend a method based on the fabric, ie/ you supply the t-shirts and they do the printing.

You may also want to compare the price of printing with the printshop supplying simular t-shirts but based on a different blend of fabrics.

Cheers!

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I just looked around and found that silk screens are indeed the way for us. Turns out it will cost me around 40$ to have a silk screen made (assuming a plain, monocrhomatic logo/text) and it will cost only about 2$ per print after that, which I find is pretty reasonable!

Now all i need to do is find a graphic artist or something...

Thanks for your help guys.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great! So, I can get the "upgraded" version? :D

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

The one with "UPGRADED" printed on it right?

10. Makoto Kanazawa

Makoto Kanazawa Regular Member

Part-time trainer
    Is it advisable to use inkjet heat transfer for my Yonex Verycool shirt?