Help on camera settings

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Sealman, Dec 6, 2006.

1. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

I agree with the camera settings. The shutter speed should be faster. Looks like people are saying to use 1/400. Try that :) Also, I believe the F-stop(aperture) on the 18-55 kit len is 3.5-5.6. So you could of tried using a lower F-stop and see if that helps. Using ISO 1600 was a good choice. The noise level in your picture is acceptable in my opinion. Maybe with some post-processing, you can clean it up a bit. Keep on experimenting but it looks like it your equipments has reached it's limit.

#21 zasboy, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Yes, that's totally correct. As u had found out some info of the picture.
    Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6
    Focal length: 41 mm
    Aperture value: f/5.6
    Shutter speed value : 1/50 s
    ISO speed ratings ISO 1600
    Indeed, the aperture had already been opened completely. Because with that kit lens set at 41mm, the actual maximum aperture would be F/5.6 rather than F/3.5.

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    many thanks for the excellent feedback

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    red00ecstrat, may I know how do you calculate this? :confused:

would appreciate if someone could recommend me some books/websites on the basics of photography. would it be necessary to attend courses?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    For indoor sports photography with a dslr a lens with a max. apereture of a true f/2.8, or if a rangefinder digital camera a max. aperture of a true f/4, is desirable. Of course an f/2 lens will even be better. The humble tripod, even those that you use on your shoulder, can be of great help.

6. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Sealman, it wasn't a calculation. According to zasboy and your information. A 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 zoom lens was used to take that shot. The meaning of F3.5-5.6 is that. At 18mm, the maximum aperture value of your zoom lens is F/3.5. But if u zoom from 18mm to 55mm. Due to the design of that lens. The actual aperture value will decrease from F/3.5 to F/5.6.
    And u were using Aperture priority right? With aperture set at F/5.6 (maximum). In order to obtain a proper exposed picture. The computer inside your camera had decided to set the shutter speed to 1/50 sec. That means, with maximum aperture of F/5.6. The fastest possible shutter speed in that situation will be 1/50 sec. That's the best that u and your gear can do at that time.:)

I would recommend u to go through the owner's manual first. After that, u will have a basic concept of the relationship between aperture and shutter speed. moreover, u will also know more about the shooting mode, af mode and other functions of your camera.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sealman, you can try the library for a book on photography. Pick a book that is quite thin. That will give simple explanations.

8. roby2003

roby2003 Regular Member

Sealman,

One of my favourite website is wwww.dpreview.com, check it out.

9. akt921

akt921 Regular Member

You can try to use a faster lens with aperture value i.e. F2.8 or faster in order to shoot at a higher shutter speed. But I kinda like your picture cos it shows the action/motion pretty well.

10. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Guys thanks for the replies. Will try to read up more on photography. Guess I need to save up for a faster lens...

11. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Based on the provided exposure data:
    Focal length: 41 mm
    Aperture value: f/5.6
    Shutter speed value : 1/50 s
    ISO speed ratings ISO 1600

Getting a f/2.8 lens will not help you take action shots at TPSH because the shutter speed will only be 1/200, which is not fast enough to capture action. An f/2 lens will bring the speed up to 1/400, and canon has a reasonably priced 135mm f/2 (lucky you bought a Canon :) )

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    storkbill, thanks for the local input. :) u must be a canon fan? I borrowed the 350d from a friend. just checked the price guide on clubsnap. a 135mm f/2 will set me back by S$800 :eek:

PS. Finally decided to join the dark side and bought a d70s. u taking in any photography students? :D

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  14. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Yep a pro would be using a better quality lens than that bundled with a 350d, something like an EF85mm L f/1.2 would be ideal but then your talking big bucks for the lens on its own.

http://www.photonhead.com/beginners/ a guide to photography, bear in mind you can always learn new tricks even if you have been using a camera for years and years.

15. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Sealman
    Nikon is fine too, just that the option of a 135mm f/2 is not available. Just read the resources on the internet and self-critique your own photos.

Morewood
    i don't think that the 85 f/1.2 is particularly suited for badminton photography, but then again, it depends on what you want to photograph. a 135 f/2 and 50 f/1.4 would certainly be better and cost less.

If you have to talk about 'best lens' for badminton photography, the 200 f/1.8 is my subjective choice for the type of shots i like to take.

#35 storkbill, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  16. AChan

AChan Regular Member

Rehabilitation
    yes, I was very impressed to Storkbill's Sigit Kung Fu master photo taken by 200 f/1.8. The photo freezed Sigit well in the air with camera setting f/1.8 1/1250 ISO 1250. Pls refer details from #24 http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36721&page=2

Storkbill, do you need monopod for the lens? In fact, I am thinking to buy primes for badminton photo, can you share some photos taking by 135 f/2 & 50 f/1.4 to me. I suppose the quality is much better than 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM. Will you take Singapore Open 2007?

17. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

AChan, I hope to take Singapore Open, but too early to know. Yes, i use monopod for the lens. It can be handheld for brief periods but monopod is better. To see diff between zoom and prime, you need to view the full resolution samples which are several Mb in size... there are some websites that have such samples... prime is of course better.

18. morewood

morewood Regular Member

All depends how close you can get to the action, 85mm gives you plenty of scope with a digital SLR (crop factor) both to get the sharp close ups and the more general wide view depending on how far from the action you get. Obviously a zoom lens would be ideal, but for high speed glass you tend to find better primes.

19. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    try f/2.5 or so instead of f/1.8. the depth of field is too shallow and thus the subject is out of focus.