AG2006 Team Events - Dec 4, 06 (Semifinal)

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by DoublesPlayer, Dec 3, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    UPDATED: 10:52, December 05, 2006
    China, S. Korea set badminton team final clash at Doha Asiad

Powerhouses China and South Korea won over Indonesia and Malaysia respectively on Monday to set a final clash in the badminton men's team event at the Doha Asian Games.

Spearheaded by world No. 1 Lin Dan, the Chinese shuttlers smashed the Indonesian peers again just as they did in the group stage.

Although Lin trailed 12-16 in the opening set, the 23-year-old world champion fought back by collecting six points in a row.

After winning the first set 22-20, Lin encountered an extremely active Taufik and quickly lost the second game 21-13.

In the rubber set, Lin, nicknamed "Super Dan" taking advantage of his rival's lack of strength, knocked off the Athens Olympic champion 21-12.

"My opponent and I are both in form," said Lin after winning the heart-stirring duel. "I won because I trained hard for the Asian Games and I was relaxed during the fight."

Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, doubles event winner at this year's Madrid World Championships, lost to Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan 14-21, 21-18, 16-21.

Afterwards, Asian Games rookie Chen Jin took a sweet revenge by beating Simon Santoso 21-19, 16-21, 21-14 in the third game. The 20-year-old Chen lost to Santoso 14-21, 8-21 on Saturday.

Chen disputed with the umpire for controversial line calls several times and received a yellow card. "I felt that the umpire was a little biased against me.

In the fourth game, Xie Zhongbo and Guo Zhendong sealed the win for China by beating Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto Chandra 6-21, 21-6 and 21-16.

South Korea blew off mighty Malaysia 3-1, only Athens Olympic silver medallist Park Sung Hwan losing to Hashim Muhammad Hafiz 12- 21, 21-11, 17-21.

In the women's part, China swept South Korea, defending champion China trampled South Korea 3-0 through efforts of top two singles Zhang Ning, Xie Xingfang and world No.1 doubles pair Gao Ling and Huang Sui.

Athens Olympic champion Zhang Ning showed no sign of age in front of 21-year-old Lee Yun Hwa, 10 years younger than Zhang. Zhang knocked off Lee 21-14 and 21-7 in 19 minutes.

Li Yongbo, the Chinese badminton team's head coach, thought the unbeatable Chinese women's lineup had not face any challenges at the Asian Games.

"The South Korean shuttlers looked tired today as they had to play two matches yesterday to take the last semifinal berth. Besides, they might thought that it was impossible to defeat their Chinese peers, so they weren't aggressive at all."

In Monday's first semifinal, Japan, unexpectedly edging South Korea in the group stage, finished off Singapore 3-0.

The clash between Japan and China is going to be held on Tuesday." Japan is stronger than South Korea," said Li Yongbo.

Source: Xinhua

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

UPDATED: 10:52, December 05, 2006
    China, S. Korea set badminton team final clash at Doha Asiad

Powerhouses China and South Korea won over Indonesia and Malaysia respectively on Monday to set a final clash in the badminton men's team event at the Doha Asian Games.

Spearheaded by world No. 1 Lin Dan, the Chinese shuttlers smashed the Indonesian peers again just as they did in the group stage.

Although Lin trailed 12-16 in the opening set, the 23-year-old world champion fought back by collecting six points in a row.

After winning the first set 22-20, Lin encountered an extremely active Taufik and quickly lost the second game 21-13.

In the rubber set, Lin, nicknamed "Super Dan" taking advantage of his rival's lack of strength, knocked off the Athens Olympic champion 21-12.

"My opponent and I are both in form," said Lin after winning the heart-stirring duel. "I won because I trained hard for the Asian Games and I was relaxed during the fight."

Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, doubles event winner at this year's Madrid World Championships, lost to Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan 14-21, 21-18, 16-21.

Afterwards, Asian Games rookie Chen Jin took a sweet revenge by beating Simon Santoso 21-19, 16-21, 21-14 in the third game. The 20-year-old Chen lost to Santoso 14-21, 8-21 on Saturday.

Chen disputed with the umpire for controversial line calls several times and received a yellow card. "I felt that the umpire was a little biased against me.

In the fourth game, Xie Zhongbo and Guo Zhendong sealed the win for China by beating Luluk Hadiyanto/Alvent Yulianto Chandra 6-21, 21-6 and 21-16.

South Korea blew off mighty Malaysia 3-1, only Athens Olympic silver medallist Park Sung Hwan losing to Hashim Muhammad Hafiz 12- 21, 21-11, 17-21.

In the women's part, China swept South Korea, defending champion China trampled South Korea 3-0 through efforts of top two singles Zhang Ning, Xie Xingfang and world No.1 doubles pair Gao Ling and Huang Sui.

Athens Olympic champion Zhang Ning showed no sign of age in front of 21-year-old Lee Yun Hwa, 10 years younger than Zhang. Zhang knocked off Lee 21-14 and 21-7 in 19 minutes.

Li Yongbo, the Chinese badminton team's head coach, thought the unbeatable Chinese women's lineup had not face any challenges at the Asian Games.

"The South Korean shuttlers looked tired today as they had to play two matches yesterday to take the last semifinal berth. Besides, they might thought that it was impossible to defeat their Chinese peers, so they weren't aggressive at all."

In Monday's first semifinal, Japan, unexpectedly edging South Korea in the group stage, finished off Singapore 3-0.

The clash between Japan and China is going to be held on Tuesday." Japan is stronger than South Korea," said Li Yongbo.

Source: Xinhua

3. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    am i seeing double? hehe... nice review of yesterday's action....

4. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

XinHua reporters rarely made mistakes like this... :eek:

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yah, and mistake like below too. LD beat TH 21-16 on the 3rd set.

#185 cooler, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  6. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    It showed 21-12 for Lin Dan in the 3rd game in the offical Doha website.

7. NgauNgau

NgauNgau Regular Member

Student
    Thank you, that means Astro will broadcast it live at 8pm today right? I don't what's going on with the Astro guide, it's stated that the Men's Team Semi-Finals will start today at 2pm live!!!

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it's a delay version, not LIVE.

9. barbara

barbara Regular Member

Another disappoinment show from Malaysia...hmmm:(

10. NgauNgau

NgauNgau Regular Member

Student
    I know, that's why I don't know what's going on with Astro...

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Appearently the time slot of SF was taken by other sports event. I was told RTM1 was showing LIVE between MAS vs KOR , didn't matter, we lost anyway. I think we will do well in Individual event as players know someone will have to take the blame if they fail miserably again. If my memory serve me right, this is the most talented Malaysia team ever assembled with LCW, Hafiz and WCH plus two supposedly very dangerous MDs ... What went wrong again? Always a mystery to me.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    It does seem to me that LCW, Taufik and LHI are not actually at their best, so the MS title looks to go Chinese way again. LCW lost against LHI, who wasn't really inspiring himself, losing to Nguyen of Vietnam a few days ago. Taufik cannot stay in 3rd game against LD.

I liked the way the Viets and Indians played though, really inspiring though let down by experience.

As for MD, it is still open season, the Chinese, Indonesians and Koreans have equal opportunity, with Malaysia slightly behind (due to using experimental pairs). Well, I suppose we had to rebuild somewhere ....

Does that answer your question, Han?

13. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

TH was at his best.. his perform was really good.. it's just lin dan who played better yesterday... taufik stamina was also good during the match yesterday... you guys should try to watch it.. it's worth to watch that match, well actualy overall the semis between INA and CHN in all of the match was exciting. from MS1, MD1, MS2, MD2. all of them are very entertaining.....

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'm sure..

..indra must've gotten some pretty good heart pounding exercise last night..:p probably sitting at the edge of his sofa the whole 4 matches..:rolleyes: ;)
    first, taufik lost in a 3 sets thriller...sad..
    then, markis/hendra won in another 3 setters...happy..
    and then, simon lost in another 3 setters...sad..
    and finally, after hoping for a comeback, alvent/luluk just tore indra's hope down the drain, losing in another 3 setters...:p ;)

15. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Don't worry, expect Indra to recurrect in a few days to give us some more exciting predictions. Somehow, I can feel a prediction of Simon vs Taufik in the MS final coming soon...:D

This guy is more consistent than all the Malaysian fans add together... when was the last time you saw a post by any Malaysian fans that has a prediction of Hafiz vs LCW in a MS final??? I used to think Malaysia has the most die-hard badminton fans until the appearance of Indra.

#195 bananaboy, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  16. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    the doha website caused it....I saw the website few days ago and they listed the semis on tuesday....so maybe astro got it all planned out until they changed the time again few days ago

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Maybe..just maybe..

..hmm, i think what indra meant to predict the other day was an INA sweep in the *Individual competition*..not the *Team event* competition..
    I think he got a bit excited, got "clouded" by his excitement and predicted the wrong event..:rolleyes: :p ;)

18. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    You mean he expects the Indo's women players to beat the likes of ZN and XXF and take the individual golds this year, too??? If that happens, I am changing my login name from "bananaboy" to "eat.banana".:p:p:p

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm...with indra...you never know..

...he'll probably predict Taufik will win the MS event, even if Taufik is hobbling on 1 leg..:p ;)

20. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    If LD is playing while hobbling on one leg... I would bet all my fortune in any underground gambling place that "He will LOSE!!!":p:p:p unless he's playing against me... I am afraid Lin Dan could still save my continuous smashes with his diving saves!!! wait, he doesn't do them anymore.