Football Season 2006/2007

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 13, 2006.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    If we can get our midfield to throw in balls that can exploit Thierry + Theo's pace.. it would be WOAH. Center backs would have to go "Oh noes, which one is it?" It's hard enough marking Henry let alone marking Henry + a 95% clone of Henry :p. But Walcott has a good football brain. Knowing when to make runs and as the commentator said, his awareness in the second goal was there. He looked up at the oncoming defender and just sped off again!!

Now if only those critics who always slam Arsenal for fielding imports... they should see the bright side of it and bow down to Wenger for without Wenger there might not be an Henry clone for England. Imagine he's 17 now, there's at least a good 12- 15 years for Walcott.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    And Croatia kept their proud record of 0% defeats at home vs England, thanks to a howler from the Paul Robinson-Gary Neville duo, coupled with tactical problems from trying to play a rather alien formation of 3-5-2 when a 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 would be a lot better to curtail the Balkan advance.

Didn't watch the game but the overall feeling is that I'm, as the Brits put it, not anymore that full enthusiasm for this national team as I used to be. Too much promise, too little to deliver. Credit to Croatia as Zagreb is a 100% stronghold, but the millionaires from north Europe should really be as good as they are paid.

Honeymoon is over, Stevie boy, as Sven found out years ago. ;)

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

4. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I was reading in my morning paper that the English crowd, as well as expressing their disssatisfaction (!) were also chanting Beckham's name. Personally I'd like to see Beckham back in the squad. I'm not saying I wouldn't pick Stevie G or even Aaron Lennon ahead of him but in cases where neither are available, rather than change the system why not use Beckham? Then again, Beckham is having trouble getting in the starting line-up at Real so maybe there were concerns about his fitness.

I watched the highlights last night wondering if would even qualify from this group:crying:

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

AHEM.

Mr wonderboy rooney does it again!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6046144.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 13 October 2006, 05:48 GMT 06:48 UK [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] E-mail this to a friend [​IMG] Printable version
    Rooney admits to England fan row

[​IMG] Rooney has not scored for England for two years

Wayne Rooney was involved in an altercation with an England fan after the 2-0 defeat in Croatia, a spokesman for the striker has confirmed.
    Rooney, 20, allegedly reacted angrily towards the fan after being singled out for abuse as he walked to the team bus.
    "Any gesture Wayne may have made was directed to one fan, whose behaviour appalled the other England players.
    "Wayne has total respect for England fans. He accepts and understands their disappointment at Wednesday's result."

[​IMG]Interview: FA spokesman Adrian Bevington
    [​IMG] I know it was quite heated as the players left the stadium to board the bus

FA spokesman Adrian Bevington

The Football Association said it was not aware of any particular incident and cannot launch an investigation without further information.
    FA spokesman Adrian Bevington told BBC Radio Five Live Sport: "I think what we will do is speak to Wayne's spokesman.
    "I am certainly not saying we are launching an investigation or anything like that."
    Bevington added: "I know it was quite heated as the players left the stadium to board the bus. The fans were naturally unhappy with the performance.
    "I wasn't aware of anything specific happening with Wayne. It may have been one fan only."
    Rooney has struggled this season as he endures the first dip in form of his career.
    The striker has played six times for Manchester United this season and has scored two goals.
    But he had another indifferent game in England's Euro 2008 Group E qualifying defeat in Zagreb, and has gone more than two years since his last competitive goal for England.

6. crosscourt

Legal
    A lot of the fans were apparantly singing "You're not fit to wear the shirt". However, according to the papers this moning the 'altercation' involved a particular England fan pulling down his own trousers and, with his [ahem] in his hand threatening to urinate on Rooney. Rooney responded by sticking two fingers up at the fan.

Personally, I can't blame Rooney for his response!:p

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    england will qualify no matter what happens. Only a matter of whether they can do it in sloppish wah... lets see how the coach handles the players.
    rgds

8. starx

starx Regular Member

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

10. starx

starx Regular Member

Help Robinson.....

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]http://polut314.9999mb.com/nr/[/FONT][/FONT]

11. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
  12. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
  13. dvajah

dvajah Regular Member

student!
    For all the fans who don't care for England either way (like me), this is way too funny!:D :D :D

14. crosscourt

Legal
    This is an honest question. What's happened to Liverpool? Looking at the squad you would think they ought to be in the top 8 at least. There has been an improvement over the years and now this! Is this just a temporary blip or has something gone wrong?

We (Arsenal) had a similar experience early on in the season but we seem to be back on track now.

As for Bolton, I'm suprised they don't feel sick from vertigo! Gotta respect big Sam.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

On track? We're firing all cylinders mate!! Except for that blip in moscow where we forgot to put in something into the oil to ensure it doesn't freeze (is it called anti-freeze? or something like that). We're just steaming and rolling every club away.

Watch out chel$ki. Titi + Theo will own your bases.

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    No luck, I suppose. Of all the matches we've lost this season, you could count the number of times we've either hit the post or get bad decisions against us.

The team isn't playing all that bad I suppose, the thing here is the lack of form amd confidence. Can't say the boys got no guts - too many instances of life from death since Rafa took over must've etched steel into their mind.

We're as puzzled as you are, really. Better players than the last two season, playing worst football. It's beginning to look like the first season indeed, with dodgy performances like this, only to scrape into the CL because we won it.

We're having problems scoring too, especially from corners - we defend well from set pieces, but poor converters of them in offense. With the average height of the team being one of the tallest in the premiership, we just can't seem to score from them - poor delivery or poor tactics? Crouch as you know is better with his foot than his head (witness Galatasaray).

The likes of Aurelio will hopefully deliver better from set pieces now - even Rafa commented that the guy can pass better than Alonso.

Apart from that - key players out of form; Gerrard is still playing like superman but just not scoring, Alonso is not playing too well, Carragher and Hyypia, Finnan making very uncharacteristic defensive mistakes, Reina doing VERY BAD in comparison to last year.

The best players so far this season is probably Dirk Kuyt and Daniel Agger, both debutants of the club.

So what can I say? Seen all this for the past 18 years or so, so not too downhearted, just a bit frustrated.

We need a run of form, the type of dominating football and win without mistakes like we had last season, then perhaps things will get back to gear.

17. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    anyone care to tell me what happened at the end of the game between arsenal and west ham? Cesc wasn't happy about something... and there was arguments after the game. I seen the managers fight... and i know persie was hit by a coin...

18. crosscourt

Legal
    The paper I read this morning said that Pardew was celebrating wildly and strayed very close to Arsenal's technical area. Pardew has apologised and says he bears no ill-feeling towards AW. I guess AW thought that Pardew was trying to rub his face in it.

Not sure about Cesc

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Congratulations to Sir Alex Fefuson on his 20th year as Old Trafford boss.

Moving on, here's the result for The Carling Cup tie this morning Malaysia Time.

Southend 1 - 0 Manchester United
    Charlton 3 - 3 Chesterfield (Charlton win 4-3 on penalties)
    Notts County 0 - 1 Wycombe
    Watford 2 - 2 Newcastle (Newcastle win 5-4 on penalties)

#79 wilfredlgf, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  20. crosscourt

Legal
    The Man U team wasn't the usual bunch of kids they put out for this competition. Rooney, Ronaldo, Heinze, Brown, Silvestre were all there.

We (Arsenal) managed to lose again at the weekend, another frustrating day. Since I bought WoW and submerged myself in this virtual world we've drawn a game and lost a game. I think I'm going to do my bit to help Arsene and not play WoW on days that Arsenal are playing!

Liverpool are doing well though!